Sponsored

4x4 Class 101 (Saving Broncos from Permanent Mall Crawler Duty)

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Howdy,

Quick question I have some soft shackles and kentic rope for buddy recovery in sand/snow/mud. I’ve seen the hitch mount soft shackle receivers however should I just use the tow hooks instead since the Bronco tow hitch is only limited to less weight than Bronco?

JPG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Howdy,

Quick question I have some soft shackles and kentic rope for buddy recovery in sand/snow/mud. I’ve seen the hitch mount soft shackle receivers however should I just use the tow hooks instead since the Bronco tow hitch is only limited to less weight than Bronco?
Yes you should, there are a couple of reports of people recovering with the hitch ending with a bent frame

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes you should, there are a couple of reports of people recovering with the hitch ending with a bent frame
Thanks

Would you recommend doing a bridle with a tree saver since I have 2 tow hooks on my Badlands?

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I am going to re bump this with a dumb noob question. when to use 4L vs 4H when off roading. My understanding was you only use 4L when you need maximum grip/torque IE in mud, rocks, steep climbing.

Now I have only been off road twice , easy trails nothing extreme both times our guide/group leader said go into 4L, since we won't be at speeds to need 4H.

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am going to re bump this with a dumb noob question. when to use 4L vs 4H when off roading. My understanding was you only use 4L when you need maximum grip/torque IE in mud, rocks, steep climbing.

Now I have only been off road twice , easy trails nothing extreme both times our guide/group leader said go into 4L, since we won't be at speeds to need 4H.
Basically,

4L is for slow wheeling. Lots of gear reduction.

4H is for fast wheeling.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Basically,

4L is for slow wheeling. Lots of gear reduction.

4H is for fast wheeling.
Good to know, so basically just going through trails even if they are easy use 4L and only 4H when you got a chance to open it up.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Good to know, so basically just going through trails even if they are easy use 4L and only 4H when you got a chance to open it up.

I would use 4H most of the time. You get to a real rocky or rough section then use 4L.

When you switch from 2H to 4H you can just switch. When you want 4L you have to put transmission in neutral. So it is easier to just switch from 2H to 4H if needed. I would only use 4L if it get "hairy".

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You will receive different opinions, but what I have been taught by more than one of my off road peers, is that you use 4L for almost everything off-road. It is far easier on the drivetrain in almost very scenario. There are occasions where 4H makes sense, like higher speed running on two tracks or fire roads, but as a general rule of thumb, 4L should be the default off road.
Sponsored