Sponsored

4x4 Class 101 (Saving Broncos from Permanent Mall Crawler Duty)

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I like the idea of this thread. First I'm going to start off by saying I've been doing research about offroading/overlanding since the Bronco announced its release, but I don't have any experience yet. But I have found that there are websites and apps out there that help people find trails, and they usually include some rough difficulty ratings. The app All Trails is an example of this.

Follow on questions.

What does easy, moderate, and difficult mean to everyone?

How much difficulty variance (if any) should we prepare for due to wet or muddy trails?

What should a beginner have with them when attempting easy to moderate trails?
Ditto! My fear is deep mud that I misjudged and not prepared.
Sponsored

Villageidit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4X4 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't know how good the GPS program from Ford will be. Have a backup on your device. I use Backcountry Navigator XE. Others on here use Gaia GPS and swear by it. Either one will be worth the cost and don't depend on a cell signal to work. You do have to download the maps you will be using first.

Hobgoblin

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Touareg, ‘10 Jetta, ‘07 Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Excellent thread, much appreciated.

I'm one of those whom have never been on any kind of remotely serious offroad trail. Live in Atlanta, so was thinking of joining up with a local group that heads up into the N Georgia mountains.

Plan to be a sponge and learn everything I can from folks.
DHC I am in Milton. Welcome

If you haven't checked out the Georgie Club yet, take a look. I too look forward to more off roading in the North Georgia Mountains.

I also agree with folks on the AllTrails app. It has great information.

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Learn about airing down your tire for off road use. 18 lbs is ok for all the tire sizes the Bronco comes in. The correct or best pressure is highly dependent on weight of your vehicle. Some add winches, armor, and etc. the type of terrain also plays a big factor in good air down pressure. There is a difference between rocks and sand, etc.

So I am comfortable in saying 18psi is a starting point. Many people go 14 with no problem. I say beginners don’t go under 18 till you learn more.

You need tire deflators to do the job easily

Two main versions of deflator. Do your research, these are just an idea. I am not saying to purchase these specifically.

These are individual types. Screw them on and they stop at pre set pressure. Once aired down remove them and go wheeling.

Ford Bronco 4x4 Class 101 (Saving Broncos from Permanent Mall Crawler Duty) 4C052EA2-FE54-4CDB-9589-D070427CA170

Second version is one tire at a time that captures and removes the valve. Air down to what pressure you want and reinsert the captures valve. Much faster but one wheel at a time so it takes same time to do all 4 tires.

Ford Bronco 4x4 Class 101 (Saving Broncos from Permanent Mall Crawler Duty) 69B98C7F-4B24-46BE-AA02-CDE232EEB1D4

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
icd70

icd70

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Learn about airing down your tire for off road use. 18 lbs is ok for all the tire sizes the Bronco comes in. The correct or best pressure is highly dependent on weight of your vehicle. Some add winches, armor, and etc. the type of terrain also plays a big factor in good air down pressure. There is a difference between rocks and sand, etc.

So I am comfortable in saying 18psi is a starting point. Many people go 14 with no problem. I say beginners don’t go under 18 till you learn more.

Two main versions of deflator. Do your research, these are just an idea. I am not saving to purchase these specifically.

These are individual types. Screw them on and they stop at pre set pressure. Once aired down remove them and go wheeling.

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.nuVOOHhXmzqgsHdPpwlW7wHaHa?pid=Api&dpr=2

Second version is one tire at a time that captures and removes the valve. Air down to what pressure you want and reinsert the captures valve. Much faster but one wheel at a time so it takes same time to do all 4 tires.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81br5+cHFEL._SL1500_.jpg
OK good advice but it begs the question, if I'm going to deflate my tires do I need bead locks if not when do I need them?

RobPS

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, MB E350 Coupe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Two main versions of deflator. Do your research, these are just an idea. I am not saving to purchase these specifically.

Ford Bronco 4x4 Class 101 (Saving Broncos from Permanent Mall Crawler Duty) 69B98C7F-4B24-46BE-AA02-CDE232EEB1D4

A buddy of mine has the screw-on kind and they worked great. Airing down is not that big a deal. But, when you are done and need to drive on the highway, you have to find a gas station to get your tires back up to pressure.

mickoffroad.b

Badlands
First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I love that you started this thread. I do have some offeoad experience and rock crawling as well. What I did first was research where I wanted to go. Looked up videos of the trail and watch people pick lines and try to apply it to me. A lot places known for 4wheeling have trail maps will skill levels allocated like ski maps (not all).
Start easy. If you find you can go higher then by all means. Never do anything more than you are confident then doing.
As a beginner research is important.
Also don't underestimate IFS. I have seen plenty of times it still works amazing.

OP
OP
icd70

icd70

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A buddy of mine has the screw-on kind and they worked great. Airing down is not that big a deal. But, when you are done and need to drive on the highway, you have to find a gas station to get your tires back up to pressure.
Can you use a portable air pump you buy at an auto store or is that not feasible?

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm not a free, or paid member, and have no affiliation, but E3 Off Road sounds like a decent resource for learning about off roading, for those who don't have any previous experience.

If you have already had a fair bit of exposure to off roading, you won't be asking questions like "when should I use my lockers?" However, if you are in the group that does not know when lockers should and should not be used, there really is a lot to learn! A more organized approach could be helpful.

https://e3offroad.com/

Sponsored

RobPS

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, MB E350 Coupe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
OK good advice but it begs the question, if I'm going to deflate my tires do I need bead locks if not when do I need them?
I am not It trying to be mean but you will probably never need bead locks. Very few people in the world have bead locks on their $50,000 new vehicles. Use those ($800 add on) for pressures under 9 lbs. Bronco is selling “bead lock capable” wheels. They are not bead lock yet( hence the $800 price tag added).

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Can you use a portable air pump you buy at an auto store or is that not feasible?
Any old pump will do. One of the Walmart cigarette lighter plug kind is fine. It might take some time but it will work and it is small and inexpensive.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You do not if you stay somewhere above 15-20 pounds.
Sponsored