Sponsored

4x4 Class 101 (Saving Broncos from Permanent Mall Crawler Duty)

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Can you use a portable air pump you buy at an auto store or is that not feasible?
Yes,

I use a Viair 88p portable compressor for years. Runs about $75. And ALWAYS HAVE VEHICLE RUNNING when using the air compressor to air up after a trail!!

you could splurge for a high $ ARB air compressor that’s nice but Viair works for me.
Sponsored

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
We had an air compressor to reinflate the tires. I would not recommend driving too far on pavement with really low tire pressure.

Here is an article on inflators: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-tire-inflators/
I would argue frequently airing up 35" tires is not representative of "most drivers." I went for the Viair 300P for a little more power than the 77P. It still fits under the seat of my Sierra. I also use it to blow the water out of the lines on my RV when I winterize it.

enro

Black Diamond
First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Can you use a portable air pump you buy at an auto store or is that not feasible?
Sure can! I actually have a battery powered Ryobi I got at Home Depot. Fills them up just fine.

Great post, BTW...

I have some experience and although I have gone out alone, I prefer to go with another vehicle. Safety in numbers... and if you get stuck, you have a way out.

OP
OP
icd70

icd70

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am not It trying to be mean but you will probably never need bead locks. Very few people in the world have bead locks on their $50,000 new vehicles. Use those ($800 add on) for pressures under 9 lbs. Bronco is selling “bead lock capable” wheels. They are not bead lock yet( hence the $800 price tag added).
Didn't come across as mean. The whole point here is to let people learn and stock there curiosity about the subjects!

BecauseMotor

Wildtrak
First Name
Springer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI, Ducati Panigale 959, Triumph T100
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Subscribed.

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Deano Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While looking into different methods of airing up tires, I came across this video. It talks a lot about how long it takes to air back up but also has some good info on different types of systems.

Air Compressors

Jason

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands & 2023 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have not ventured beyond fire roads in the mountains (Colorado), but plan on doing so. I am curious about how to prioritize various pieces of recovery gear in a general sense.

Let's assume I'm always with another vehicle, and the following basics are covered:

1) Tow Strap​
2) A couple hard shackles​
3) Budget air compressor​
4) Jumper cables​
5) Small shovel​

How would you rate the following in importance?

1) Traction boards​
2) Dynamic snatch strap​
3) Winch with tree saver, but also:​
a) Snatch block(s)​
b) Friction ring(s) (like Factor55)​
c) Extra length of recovery line​
4) Soft shackles​
5) External portable gas cans (Roto pax)​
6) ... anything else you'd put near the top of the list.​

It's probably impossible to give any definitive answers, but I'd like to get a general sense on how to prioritize my recovery gear spending. For example, if the consensus is that a winch is the most important, I won't spend money on the cheaper items until that is purchased.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great question. I am sure it sometimes depends on terrain. Snatch straps and a second vehicle are a great solution if you have some room to work, but in rocks or right trails, maybe not as much? Traction boards are new to me, but seems like they would be very helpful in sand and mud, maybe not as much in the rocks?

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
....I am curious about how to prioritize various pieces of recovery gear....

1) Tow Strap​
4) Jumper cables​
5) Small shovel​
For this 101 class topic just stop at your top five items to have. These are great items and will not break the bank. All other items you mention are advanced level (except soft shackles, those are nice and inexpensive).

Sponsored

GEP

Badlands
First Name
Glynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have not ventured beyond fire roads in the mountains (Colorado), but plan on doing so. I am curious about how to prioritize various pieces of recovery gear in a general sense.

Let's assume I'm always with another vehicle, and the following basics are covered:

1) Tow Strap​
4) Jumper cables​
5) Small shovel​

1) Traction boards​
2) Dynamic snatch strap​
3) Winch with tree saver, but also:​
a) Snatch block(s)​
b) Friction ring(s) (like Factor55)​
c) Extra length of recovery line​
4) Soft shackles​
5) External portable gas cans (Roto pax)​
6) ... anything else you'd put near the top of the list.​

It's probably impossible to give any definitive answers, but I'd like to get a general sense on how to prioritize my recovery gear spending. For example, if the consensus is that a winch is the most important, I won't spend money on the cheaper items until that is purchased.
From my non-expert point of view both these lists are really good. Maybe add deflators as they are inexpensive and easy to use compared to deflating through guess work.

I think it's also important to know how to use things, lots of great resources available particularly on youtube. I did a winching course through work and it was worth doing. You may also want to go and practice somewhere safe before having to figure things out when you are actually stuck. There are serious safety considerations that come into play in recovery. If I were you I'd go with the the basics above and then add things as you learn more or notice a need.

BecauseMotor

Wildtrak
First Name
Springer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI, Ducati Panigale 959, Triumph T100
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

4) Soft shackles​
Difference between hard and soft shackles and why/when you'd use them?

OP
OP
icd70

icd70

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not to discourage the enthusiasm but, this is more about basic knowledge and direction. There are plenty of threads and other sites to get into the weeds once people need a deeper knowledge. We are not trying to over complicate things for beginners:sick:

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not to discourage the enthusiasm but, this is more about basic knowledge and direction. There are plenty of threads and other sites to get into the weeds once people need a deeper knowledge. We are not trying to over complicate things for beginners:sick:
It's not typical for a simple thread in a discussion forum like this to turn into a comprehensive guide for introducing somebody to off roading.

I think the best thing we can do here, is point towards resources (online or other) that provide a more comprehensive library of information on the subject.
Sponsored