Sponsored

4x4 Class 101 (Saving Broncos from Permanent Mall Crawler Duty)

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Add me to the ranks of 'supergreen noob' when it comes to off roading. I'm in Sacramento CA, near the Sierra Nevada's so I know there are plenty of opportunities to hit the trails. I have a good buddy with a JLU Rubicon, lifted on 40's, and have been out with him a couple times and have seen the camaraderie between the off-roaders ... they were all in it to help each other regardless of what they were driving ... so I'm looking forward to hooking up with some of them!
Sponsored

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a smitty built air compressor I bought after the one from Walmart took way to long to air up. I now have a 10 lb co2 tank that takes a minute a tire to air up. Our kids were little when we started and after a long day on the trail everyone was a little cranky. Being able to air up in minutes made things better.

OP
OP
icd70

icd70

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's not typical for a simple thread in a discussion forum like this to turn into a comprehensive guide for introducing somebody to off roading.

I think the best thing we can do here, is point towards resources (online or other) that provide a more comprehensive library of information on the subject.
I could not agree more with you sir! No one would not expect this to be a comprehensive guide. It is meant to be a thread for basic questions that others could answer or per you excellent suggestion point them to a thread or site where there is good answer for them.

Reactions: Cat

mickoffroad.b

Badlands
First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm not a free, or paid member, and have no affiliation, but E3 Off Road sounds like a decent resource for learning about off roading, for those who don't have any previous experience.

If you have already had a fair bit of exposure to off roading, you won't be asking questions like "when should I use my lockers?" However, if you are in the group that does not know when lockers should and should not be used, there really is a lot to learn! A more organized approach could be helpful.

https://e3offroad.com/
I agree with this whether you plan on basic or extreme off reading. Its a great source for information on all levels.

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have not done any off roading myself, but want to use the Bronco as a catalyst for my family to explore colorado more. Just bought this book to do some research:
20200916_104522.jpg
Great book. Dude is spot on. Went on a trail ride with him and he was one of the nicest guys. Depending on the date of the book the trail could have gotten harder or easier.

Sponsored

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i would throw in a high lift jack or equivalent before the winch and traction pad.
i would also consider practicing with all the toys prior to getting on the trail.

but the most important thing is to either convoy or bring some very competent spotters.

BecauseMotor

Wildtrak
First Name
Springer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI, Ducati Panigale 959, Triumph T100
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I read this in another forum for camping (i believe) and copied and pasted it. Unsure who I owe credit to though on putting this together.

• Hi-lift Jack
  • Recovery Strap
  • First-Aid Kit
  • Basic Tool set
  • Flashlights
  • Air inflation
  • Gloves
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Small shovel
  • Something to cut branches (axe/tree saw/machete)
  • Multi-tool
  • Duct tape
  • Heavy duty zip ties
  • Jumper cables
  • Fire starter
  • Ponchos
  • Garbage bags
  • Extra water

Crowza

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands 2 Door, '05 Victory Vegas 8-Ball
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

(Looks at the Bronco test mule photos)

Soooo... Any advice on off-roading and avoiding cosmetic damage? I assume, the advice would be "only do easy trails" and probably no rock climbing... But I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the subject?

(Looks at the Bronco test mule photos AGAIN)

I mean.. It will be a new vehicle after all. Don't get me wrong, I'm a firm believer that scars build character... But, we are talking about brand new Broncos?

Right? Am I crazy to worry about this?

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I run mountain roads quite often in addition to crawling from time to time. I often air down my tires to 18lbs for running the mountain roads faster. I also use adjustable Rancho shocks that let me soften them up for a softer ride. I usually disconnect the front sway bar too.

Items I keep in/on the jeep:

~$230
100% duty cycle air compressor that connects directly to the battery (can go with lower duty, but I don't like to wait)
Inside the compressor bag: Valve stem core tool, deflators, t-handle tire plug kit, needle nose pliers
~$300
8,000+lb front bumper mounted winch with steel cable (synthetic costs more, is lighter, may have to worry about UV damage)
~$200
Teraflex recovery bag with synthetic tow straps, tree protectors, snatch blocks, shackles, winch line weights/blankets
~$150
Basic 100+ piece automotive tool kit
~$30
fire extinguisher suitable for gasoline fires
~$50
Hatchet/saw for clearing trees and limbs
~$100
Front and rear LED flood lights for night work
~$200
Control arm and lower shock mount skid plates (1/4" welded on to axle/brackets)
~$300
3/8"+ steel differential covers for rock hits/ledges
~$100
Jump pack for dead batteries sized for the motor on the vehicle
~$30
LED headlights (I like black diamond brand)

If you go offroading in forests, you might expect redneck pinstripes (tree scratches down side).

If you go into the rocks expect some rock rash on the wheels.

Most offroad parks I have been to rate the worst trails "body damage imminent."

Windrock near Knoxville, TN has some good descriptions. It's also a decent place to go to try out offroading. There's everything from gravel roads to hill climbs: https://windrockpark.com/trails

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I read this in another forum for camping (i believe) and copied and pasted it. Unsure who I owe credit to though on putting this together.

• Hi-lift Jack
  • Recovery Strap
  • First-Aid Kit
  • Basic Tool set
  • Flashlights
  • Air inflation
  • Gloves
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Small shovel
  • Multi-tool
  • Duct tape
  • Heavy duty zip ties
  • Jumper cables
  • Fire starter
  • Ponchos
  • Garbage bags
  • Extra water
Good kit, I carry all those things. Plenty of extra water just incase others need it. I offer to hikers and mountain bikers and a lot of them needed it and were grateful.

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The best recovery tool is a freind. I never go down any trail without 2 straps and a shackle. I hi-lift(and tools to take it apart) jack is very handy for many thing. It can be used as a jack, a hoist, a winch(puller), shovel, deadman(buried anchor), linkage repair tool, ski-skid( if you lose a wheel), bludgeon(if you encounter a wendigo), can be used as a crutch or splint(if you roll off a cliff), jaws of life, camper leveler. If you dont like the bulk of a hi-lift a 2 ton come-along will do some of those things. If you have a winch and space both of those are still great tools. If I have a winch I almost always take a snatch block or 2 aswell as a couple different sized straps. If going somewhere very open a extra winch line to reach that distant tree is good.

As far as the driving is concerned always watch your tire placements( nobody wants a flat tire). Check big mud holes for depth and debris. Start small, try the service road by powerline or railroad before ya go all rockbouncer. If you ever get stuck on the island of Maui give me call.

Funny story, i had to get somebody unstuck from a riverbank in Ohio while I was sitting in my rig in Laredo Texas. My buddy called me up asked if I could come down to the river and pull him out. I told him I couldnt get there for about 20 hours :ROFLMAO:, so I called my roomate and taught him how to hot wire my CJ5(with winch). So he could take it down and pull him out. Well they spent a couple hours at night in the snow working the rescue, I sat in my sleeper cab watching Raising Arizona, hard work but I got em out of there!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:?

TellurideBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here’s my input. Don’t forget the basics such as toilet paper, trash bags, ziplock bags, zip ties, duct tape, plenty of water, and food etc. Swallow your ego, use common sense, and don’t subscribe to the theory that unless there is trail damage to your vehicle, you are not having fun. Respect, and take care of your vehicle.

I have not ventured beyond fire roads in the mountains (Colorado), but plan on doing so. I am curious about how to prioritize various pieces of recovery gear in a general sense.

Let's assume I'm always with another vehicle, and the following basics are covered:

1) Tow Strap - Yes
2) A couple hard shackles - Yes
3) Budget air compressor - Get one that attaches directly to the battery, and keep the engine running when you use it.
4) Jumper cables - Get a portable battery pack jump starter. That way, if you are alone, you can jump start the car.
5) Small shovel - Yes

How would you rate the following in importance?

1) Traction boards - not of much use
2) Dynamic snatch strap - Yes
3) Winch with tree saver, but also - a winch is not absolutely necessary, but always good to have. Most of the trails will have other off-road vehicles, so a good, long snatch strap should suffice. The rest are optional.
a) Snatch block(s)​
b) Friction ring(s) (like Factor55)​
c) Extra length of recovery line​
4) Soft shackles - Optional if you have the hard shackles.
5) External portable gas cans (Roto pax). If you get one, please don’t drive with it around town. Nothing says Mall Crawler more than people driving around with these things when they are not on the trail.
6) ... anything else you'd put near the top of the list.​

It's probably impossible to give any definitive answers, but I'd like to get a general sense on how to prioritize my recovery gear spending. For example, if the consensus is that a winch is the most important, I won't spend money on the cheaper items until that is purchased.

Last edited:

QuitPlayinWithYourDingy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Rav4 V6
Your Bronco Model
Base
When should I lock the differentials and when shouldnt I? How do I know when to unlock them? Do you ever reverse with the diff(s) locked? Should you turn to lock when diffs are locked?

I understand how locking diffs work and what it does in general when locked.

Snowrunner probably isn't the best teacher. ;)

Asking for a friend.

Villageidit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4X4 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

• Hi-lift Jack
  • Recovery Strap
  • First-Aid Kit
  • Basic Tool set
  • Flashlights
  • Air inflation
  • Gloves
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Small shovel
  • Multi-tool
  • Duct tape
  • Heavy duty zip ties
  • Jumper cables
  • Fire starter
  • Ponchos
  • Garbage bags
  • Extra water
Looking at the list I just want to emphasize GLOVES. A good pair of gloves will save you. Handling tow straps, winch cables and other tools is hazardous. Spend the money a nice, WELL FITTING pair of gloves. Too small and you want to use them, too large and the excess material becomes a problem.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rule number 1 for me to avoid damage? No drinking while playing on the back 40:) not that I would drive while drinking, but in my experience shows me alcohol, even a little, leads to bad choices related to vehicles (and lots of other things too). BTW, light colors show back woods pin striping much less than dark. I have always had some level of this on my trucks. I have had mostly white trucks specifically because of this.
Sponsored