Sponsored

4x4 Class 101 (Saving Broncos from Permanent Mall Crawler Duty)

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Tire basics. What is a good useable tire size for 101 level off-roading? I'm assuming something taller than stock on the Base? I was guessing at least 32"?
Its not the size, its the motion of the.... wait a second wrong thing. But seriously I have 28" tall super swampers on my Amc Eagle Wagon. In beach sand it pulls better than my lighter CJ7 with the same exact motor and 32" BFG KM2s. I have had plenty of fun with 31s and honestly 33s of a serious tread tire will get you through more than "bald because you want to get every mile out of em" expensive bigger tires.
Sponsored

Itchysquatch

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok maybe Iā€™m old school, or old-ish, old lite... but Iā€™d recommend to start building your knowledge with a book. By far the best Iā€™ve come across is the Four Wheelers Bible. Great intro to everything 4x4. Drivetrain, recovery, equipment, techniques (surprised no one has mentioned it yet).
Start with the book, watch some of the videos guys have recommended, make sure you have proper recovery points, go out with someone with experience, and enjoy!

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ok maybe Iā€™m old school, or old-ish, old lite... but Iā€™d recommend to start building your knowledge with a book. By far the best Iā€™ve come across is the Four Wheelers Bible. Great intro to everything 4x4. Drivetrain, recovery, equipment, techniques (surprised no one has mentioned it yet).
Start with the book, watch some of the videos guys have recommended, make sure you have proper recovery points, go out with someone with experience, and enjoy!
Also watch the Camel Trophy- The Land Rover Years on Youtube. Its about the coolest hour and a half of offroading school you will ever find. If anybody is good at linking videos maybe want to throw it on here.

BroncOBX

Black Diamond
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.polaris-intel.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150 FX4; Mavic 2 Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Also watch the Camel Trophy- The Land Rover Years on Youtube. Its about the coolest hour and a half of offroading school you will ever find. If anybody is good at linking videos maybe want to throw it on here.
Here ya go...

wordstew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H3 Hummer, Explorer Sport, BMW R1200C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
1. Get yourself a good pair of easily removeable Bogs/Boots and gloves for playing in the mud and dirt. (floor liners to catch mud from your boots)
2. A decent small shovel and some light weight recovery trax. (they get extremely heavy once caked in mud)
3. Learn about when and how to use locking diff and crawl gears (youtube)
4. Go with somebody who has off-road experience so you can learn
5. Find friend who has a winch before you invest in one.
6. Ask yourself if your are ever really gonna need the winch or just a friend with one cause you may rarely need the winch for the type of off roading you do.
7. Now take the $$ you save if you didn't buy the winch and put it aside for any repairs or extra offroad goodies you need or want in the future.
8. Also, Use some of that $$ and buy your friend with the winch a few beers if he ever needs to pull you out.

Amazing what lockers, trax and crawl can do if you take the time to learn....
Ford Bronco 4x4 Class 101 (Saving Broncos from Permanent Mall Crawler Duty) 1600628682480

Last edited:

Sponsored

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you were to purchase a base, big bend, obx, or other model that doesn't come with the "armor" of the Badlands, how safe is it to off-road with in rocky terrain?

Are there options through ford to upgrade to all of the armor?

To a novice, it seems like having sasquatch is useless if it's not safe to use without destroying your vehicle.

jayhawkco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Xterra Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you were to purchase a base, big bend, obx, or other model that doesn't come with the "armor" of the Badlands, how safe is it to off-road with in rocky terrain?

Are there options through ford to upgrade to all of the armor?

To a novice, it seems like having sasquatch is useless if it's not safe to use without destroying your vehicle.
Quite safe. You just can't be quite as aggressive. You already have huge clearance compared to most of the cars that make their way up those trails, but at least for me, it's very comforting knowing if I take an incorrect line, I'm not losing my oil pan. For 99% of users, the "armor" won't be necessary; but, it is nice peace of mind to go a little faster over the rough stuff. If you're good with tire placement, you can go up stuff like this without any bash plates. Hell, I saw an old Eagle Talon up at the pass after going somewhat slow with my Xterra and my buddy's Wrangler. I think he just didn't give a shit about his car. :geek:

Ford Bronco 4x4 Class 101 (Saving Broncos from Permanent Mall Crawler Duty) Georgetown-site-road-800x600

Now that I look at it, that picture makes it look plenty smoother than it actually is (Leavenworth Creek Road on the way to Argentine Pass near Georgetown, CO).

Chris

Last edited:

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My stock rubicon has minimal skids on it. I did change the thin diff covers to 3/8" steel covers and welded 1/4" plate to the lower control arm/shock mounts. I took it crawling quite a bit when stock on the stock 32" KM tires. The aftermarket will surely make aluminum, plastic, and steel skids for the underside of a bronco that will make any maintenance a complete pain in the butt. :D

Windrock moderate trail when I was stock:

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My stock rubicon has minimal skids on it. I did change the thin diff covers to 3/8" steel covers and welded 1/4" plate to the lower control arm/shock mounts. I took it crawling quite a bit when stock on the stock 32" KM tires. The aftermarket will surely make aluminum, plastic, and steel skids for the underside of a bronco that will make any maintenance a complete pain in the butt. :D

Windrock moderate trail when I was stock:

So what I'm seeing there is a Sasquatch package would be a ball down there?! Also, at least with those trails, the Big Bend with the rear locker (and better tires) would also probably be okay.

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So what I'm seeing there is a Sasquatch package would be a ball down there?! Also, at least with those trails, the Big Bend with the rear locker (and better tires) would also probably be okay.
Even 33s would be fun there. 35s would let you roll over more stuff easier, but the loss of articulation might cause issues here and there without lockers.

Sponsored

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Even 33s would be fun there. 35s would let you roll over more stuff easier, but the loss of articulation might cause issues here and there without lockers.
Thinking that a Base Sasquatch will be my build. Won't need for 99% of my use, but a 4 DR Base Squatch with Auto and 2.7 and options is still considerably less than a Badlands.

Plus, by the time the tires wear out, I'm sure there were be a "good" solution for the bump stop limiter that will allow for more articulation and then I'll probably drop to 33's. Maybe best of both worlds.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
My only qualifications would be military off-roading in HMMWVs, Mercedes G-wagons, and 7-ton 6x6 trucks.

I've already been helped loads by the kind people here on what to expect in a Bronco or similar civilian vehicle / Jeep.

I do feel comfortable giving the following advice:

1. Take your time to get to know your vehicle. How it responds, turning radius, throttle response, and the like.

2. Find some dirt roads that are very easy. start to imagine the best "line" you'd need to take to 1. Keep the vehicle the most stable and 2. Continue on the trail (avoiding obstacles or unnecessary low or high points).

3. Join a club or make friends with someone that knows what they're doing.

4. When in doubt don't push it. I had the luxury of driving beat up military vehicles. While I cared for our safety, I drove much more... Aggressively? Maybe that's not the word but neither is to say I was careless because I was not... Anyways, it wasn't my vehicle and I didn't mind pushing it so long as it couldn't get anyone inside hurt. Still can't believe we didn't get our trucks stuck in the sand as we were driving along the beach with the waves lapping up on our tires lol.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

4. When in doubt don't push it. I had the luxury of driving beat up military vehicles. While I cared for our safety, I drove much more... Aggressively? Maybe that's not the word but neither is to say I was careless because I was not... Anyways, it wasn't my vehicle and I didn't mind pushing it so long as it couldn't get anyone inside hurt. Still can't believe we didn't get our trucks stuck in the sand as we were driving along the beach with the waves lapping up on our tires lol.
This is the best advice. Learn in someone else's truck. Ha. Most of my experience comes from trying to avoid getting stuck/getting stuck in the oil fields, on lease roads, and cut lines in a company 4x4. It's a lot better to get stuck when you're being paid for it.

Tortuga353

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Smokey Mountain 500 and Kentucky Adventure Trail are good Southeast routes and lots of community support to help you cut your teeth and have good Facebook groups. TNF in Alabama around Cheaha with part of the skyway 600-1 and 600-2. Lots of organized/group info again to have groups to learn from off-road.

Iā€™m actually fairly newbie wheeling as Iā€™ve done these on motorcycle and mountain bike primarily.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/698628080200070/?ref=share

https://www.facebook.com/groups/KentuckyAdventureTour/?ref=share

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1579384665666968/?ref=share

Last edited:

Ft. Worth Rob

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X7, Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

After the Super Celebration East, my wife and I went to the Biltmore to stay for a few days and did the two hour version of the Land Rover Experience in a new Defender 110. They do one hour, two hour, half and full day classes, I believe in four locations around the US. The trail was a mud/ruts trail through the woods for the most part with a couple steep descents, inclines, right turns, narrow trail, opportunities to get the vehicle onto two wheels and side inclines (I maxed out at 23%). Not the point of my post but the Defender was rock solid on the trail and seems like a great vehicle. Because of covid the instructor walked along as a spotter using walkie talkies and we talked through the window, partly explaining the off road features of the Defender and providing insight on technique, proper lines and treading lightly.

I mentioned having been to Townsend and afterward the other instructor came over to talk to me. Heā€™d been with Land Rover for 23 years and is leaving to direct the Bronco Off Roadeo events for Jackson-Dawson (Bronco Nation, Fordā€™s event management consultant). He wanted to know what I thought people would be interested in at the event.

For anyone new to off roading or with limited experience in a modern off road capable vehicle I thought it was very worthwhile and am happy to see that Jackson is hiring someone with this experience. Iā€™d imagine the Off Roadeo event will be pretty well done.
Sponsored