Sponsored

4x4 Class 101 (Saving Broncos from Permanent Mall Crawler Duty)

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m thinking it’s been about 50 years since I’ve been called a freak.

long haired freaky people need not apply!
Signs! Signs! Everywhere signs!
Sponsored

chobit

Badlands
First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper SE, MIata ND2 GT, Bronco Badland SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used to go 4 wheeling with a few local 4x4 clubs. The Jeep group tend of be a little more hardcore, but one of the group I go 4 wheeling with tend to have a little of everything with minimal to no mod. See Pic:
Ford Bronco 4x4 Class 101 (Saving Broncos from Permanent Mall Crawler Duty) 1627970187859

Here is my take on 4x4 101. (PNW)
1> Never go alone, join with a local 4x4 (Beginner friendly)

2> Learn the diff. between Open Diff. , traction control aid, and lockers

3> Learn the diff. between 4A, 4H & 4L.

4> Look under your Bronco, and learn where the skid plates are, and the locations on some of the lowest point. (Rock Rails are essential for many types of 4x4 trails)

5> When you are facing a real obstacle, get out of the Bronco, then spend some time to review the line and ask yourself why? It would be easier if you have a more experience driver who you can follow with a (equally or less capable 4x4), you should be able to learn what lines he/she takes.

6> Some 4x4 trails may provide a bypass to skip an obstacle, or a easy line for less capable 4x4s.

7> One thing I enjoy with 4 wheeling is that getting through an obstacle is like puzzle solving. Before you drive over the obstacle, you analyst where you front' tire should go first, about where to turn the steering wheel (or how much to turn), and where you want your rear tires to go, etc.

8> Beginner obstacles should require much wheel spins. Excessive wheel spins may break things. The key is maintain the momentum, driving with open diff. may require a tiny bit more speed/momentum then with lockers. When I talk about momentum, think about that extra bump you have to go up on your drive way. You don't want to stop or slow down the moment it's ready to go up, it's matter of rolling up there with the right amount of speed & momentum, then give it a tiny bit of gas at the right moment to go up smoothly.

9> Air down the tires, I agree that 18-20psi should be sufficient, the reason to air down your tires is to allow, better comfort, larger contact surface, and the allow the tires to wrap on irregular shape obstacle better.

10> Air Compressor is good to have, it may be a little slow, but I like to be a little bit more prepare then needing to drive on the highway under inflated.

11> I recommend not to go crazy on recovery gears until you start doing more 4 wheeling, but for your own safety, you can bring your own tow strap and soft shackle. I have seen people bring out worn out tow strap that are ready to snap any moment which would be easier to refuse the offer if you have your own.

Here is one of the place we used to go to frequently. Sunrise Lake, BC Canada
Not my video:

Last edited:

VegasJason

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley 04 FLHRSI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It occurs to me a lot of people who have never driven off-road will be buying the new Ford Bronco with dreams of being rugged trail blazers. Believe it or not everybody on the 6G forums is a hardcore off-roader. But some will never achieve this goal because they have limited, or no knowledge of what off-roading looks like or how to learn the skills to do it. If you don’t know where to look to for direction or have someone to direct you, your just left with wondering how to do it, and most likely you never do it. Most of what we see are crazy pictures of extreme rock crawling that would scare off even the hardiest of adventures when it comes to their new 30k to 60k Bronco. But the reality is there are several different types of off roading and most of it will not beat your new Bronco to death.

What I would like this thread to become is a helpful guide to the novice who is seeking guidance and instruction on how to begin down the unpaved trail. Whether it be suggestions or explanations it will start to give people knowledge that they can build upon and encouragement to seeking out their dream of off-roading.

Don’t be afraid to ask any question, I assure you are not the only one that wants to know the answer.
And for the love of all that is sacred please don’t start Judging people in this thread. It is a great opportunity to reach out and promote, don’t screw it up with childish crap!

If you are asking a question, please be concise with the question. It is difficult to answer vague questions in a meaningful way. Don’t ask how I should build out my Bronco questions, but instead ask, if I get this on my Bronco will it benefit me on the trail or how will it affect the vehicle. If your answering a question, please have extensive knowledge of the subject matter and don’t speculate. Please be mindful that you are educating a person that might not understand all the terms and lingo so don’t over complicate your responses.

Please let us not turn this into a thread that debates on options, opinions, conjecture. We can start another thread for the lawyers to debate. Remember this it to educate and inform. If your post neither seeks learning nor educates then it has no place in this thread.

Thanks to all those who help here with questions and teachings!
This! This is exactly what I was looking for !

gigidaho

Wildtrak
First Name
Gig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAM 1500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have a dumb question!! One that has plagued me for years but has always been too dumb to ask...
In town we have a normal dirt mountain road that's a notorious tire destroyer, the rocks aren't large but apparently they're sharp. On one trip in our truck we got two flats, about 5 miles apart (we ended up having to ride our bikes 40 miles home, but that's another story) and this dude who pulled over to help me change it out told me the trick was to keep the tires on the extra firm side so they could 'pop' off the sharp rocks. I've always known the opposite to be true, so I would have just blown off his suggestion except this dude had the kind of respectable grey mustache that made me feel like he knew of which he spoke.
So... is this an actual thing? Or am I being had?

Sponsored
OP
OP
icd70

icd70

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a dumb question!! One that has plagued me for years but has always been too dumb to ask...
In town we have a normal dirt mountain road that's a notorious tire destroyer, the rocks aren't large but apparently they're sharp. On one trip in our truck we got two flats, about 5 miles apart (we ended up having to ride our bikes 40 miles home, but that's another story) and this dude who pulled over to help me change it out told me the trick was to keep the tires on the extra firm side so they could 'pop' off the sharp rocks. I've always known the opposite to be true, so I would have just blown off his suggestion except this dude had the kind of respectable grey mustache that made me feel like he knew of which he spoke.
So... is this an actual thing? Or am I being had?
I agree that sounds very counter intuitive. I would think the more pressure the easier it is to puncture. I hope somebody who has extensive knowledge on this can let us know the answer and an explanation as to why it works if this is true would be even better.
I'm going to start leaving my bike at home so I'm never tempted to ride it 40 miles home... :p

OP
OP
icd70

icd70

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

John Whammer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Let me just add, Off-Roadeo is a fantastic crash course if its reasonably available to you.

OP
OP
icd70

icd70

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Let me just add, Off-Roadeo is a fantastic crash course if its reasonably available to you.
Yes it is! I went to it in NH last weekend. It was raining all day! How awesome was that! The Bronco was so sure footed it gave you great confidence driving over very difficult terrain like it was nothing.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So gonna bump this thread.

Been watching a lot of videos of people taking on the trails that are somewhat near me and described as beginner trails or some even for stock vehicles.

Potentially dumb question incoming, but do trails usually have that much mud? Or do alot of people that film their adventures just go after rain because it makes more mud/challenging trail.

Sponsored

JPG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So gonna bump this thread.

Been watching a lot of videos of people taking on the trails that are somewhat near me and described as beginner trails or some even for stock vehicles.

Potentially dumb question incoming, but do trails usually have that much mud? Or do alot of people that film their adventures just go after rain because it makes more mud/challenging trail.
Depends on where you live and what you are in. Personally IH8MUD , mud gets in everywhere and is bad. But it's a great " show off "... To answer your question, no , not all trails are full of water and mud.

I haven't read all the thread , but being a guide in my Toyota club, here are a few pointers:

1- Never trail alone, ever
2- BOTH hands in the steering wheel, with thumbs outwards
3- Slow =good/ fast=bad
4- AIR DOWN, you can easily go to 18 even 15 psi on stock rims.
5- Driver's wheel goes ON the rock, not beside it. Why ? Because when your wheel is on the rock, you know where the rock is.
6- Dress appropriately please, flip flops are for the beach , not in the woods or rocks
7-Have proper equipment, i.e tires in good shape and the right model for going off road.
8-If you have a spotter ( someone outside guiding, telling you where to turn, stop, etc ) LISTEN and LOOK at him. He is your eyes outside your vehicle, he sees what you don't, trust him.
9-Follow the Thread Lightly mentality, bring out what you bring in. ( Look up the Thread Lightly movement on the web )
10- Don't do trails/obstacles that you don't feel comfortable doing. Leave the " Hold my Beer" mentality at home.
11- Bypasses are NOT chicken passes, they are there to help you enjoy your experience.
12-Be ready to accept, scratches, dents, breakage. It's not, Will it happen. It's , When will it happen. It's part of the game.
13-Find yourself a good, open to all, friendly, club.
14-Learn what 4H-4L, Lockers, and on this vehicle , the GOAT modes are, don't be afraid to use them.
15-Haters will hate, you will meet people who won't understand why you are putting a 50K+ truck through what you are doing to it. smile a crawl on ;)

There are so much more info out there, the important thing is to ENJOIY yourself, find a trail level that you like and work in it.

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Depends on where you live and what you are in. Personally IH8MUD , mud gets in everywhere and is bad. But it's a great " show off "... To answer your question, no , not all trails are full of water and mud.

I haven't read all the thread , but being a guide in my Toyota club, here are a few pointers:

3- Slow =good/ fast=bad
5- Driver's wheel goes ON the rock, not beside it. Why ? Because when your wheel is on the rock, you know where the rock is.
6- Dress appropriately please, flip flops are for the beach , not in the woods or rocks
7-Have proper equipment, i.e tires in good shape and the right model for going off road.
8-If you have a spotter ( someone outside guiding, telling you where to turn, stop, etc ) LISTEN and LOOK at him. He is your eyes outside your vehicle, he sees what you don't, trust him.
9-Follow the Thread Lightly mentality, bring out what you bring in. ( Look up the Thread Lightly movement on the web )
10- Don't do trails/obstacles that you don't feel comfortable doing. Leave the " Hold my Beer" mentality at home.
11- Bypasses are NOT chicken passes, they are there to help you enjoy your experience.
12-Be ready to accept, scratches, dents, breakage. It's not, Will it happen. It's , When will it happen. It's part of the game.
14-Learn what 4H-4L, Lockers, and on this vehicle , the GOAT modes are, don't be afraid to use them.
15-Haters will hate, you will meet people who won't understand why you are putting a 50K+ truck through what you are doing to it. smile a crawl on ;)

There are so much more info out there, the important thing is to ENJOIY yourself, find a trail level that you like and work in it.
Awesome reply, I will be looking for a friendly club that can help me grow, offroad.

Mikerider

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Ranger, Mustang, Focus, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I help organize and teach an intro to off roading course with a local car club. we have designed and built a simple course and spend an hour driving the track with spotters at obstacles and spend an hour teaching basic recovery techniques.

https://www.avants.com/events/2021/11-20/avants-off-road

classes like this are a great way to get acquainted with your vehicle and have some idea what it will do in a safe(ish) environment.

Reactions: JPG

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

3- Slow =good/ fast=bad

Thanks! Yeah I have been watching some more videos of the same trail and sure looks like it varies greatly based on how the weather has been.

BadBoyBroncoBilly

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E150 Adventure Van, Chevrolet Spark
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It occurs to me a lot of people who have never driven off-road will be buying the new Ford Bronco with dreams of being rugged trail blazers. Believe it or not everybody on the 6G forums is a hardcore off-roader. But some will never achieve this goal because they have limited, or no knowledge of what off-roading looks like or how to learn the skills to do it. If you don’t know where to look to for direction or have someone to direct you, your just left with wondering how to do it, and most likely you never do it. Most of what we see are crazy pictures of extreme rock crawling that would scare off even the hardiest of adventures when it comes to their new 30k to 60k Bronco. But the reality is there are several different types of off roading and most of it will not beat your new Bronco to death.

What I would like this thread to become is a helpful guide to the novice who is seeking guidance and instruction on how to begin down the unpaved trail. Whether it be suggestions or explanations it will start to give people knowledge that they can build upon and encouragement to seeking out their dream of off-roading.

Don’t be afraid to ask any question, I assure you are not the only one that wants to know the answer.
And for the love of all that is sacred please don’t start Judging people in this thread. It is a great opportunity to reach out and promote, don’t screw it up with childish crap!

If you are asking a question, please be concise with the question. It is difficult to answer vague questions in a meaningful way. Don’t ask how I should build out my Bronco questions, but instead ask, if I get this on my Bronco will it benefit me on the trail or how will it affect the vehicle. If your answering a question, please have extensive knowledge of the subject matter and don’t speculate. Please be mindful that you are educating a person that might not understand all the terms and lingo so don’t over complicate your responses.

Please let us not turn this into a thread that debates on options, opinions, conjecture. We can start another thread for the lawyers to debate. Remember this it to educate and inform. If your post neither seeks learning nor educates then it has no place in this thread.

Thanks to all those who help here with questions and teachings!
youtube.jpg
Sponsored