Sponsored

4x4 Touring on Colorado's Continental Divide - Hagerman/Mosquito - and the journey to my Bronco reservation

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Every few years we seem to end up in Colorado for some camping and trails; after an invite from some friends we headed back out there a couple of weeks ago. We camped along and reached the summit of Hagerman Pass; traversed Mosquito Pass (a trail I hadn't been on in about 17 years), Shrine Pass, and a few other things. The difference this time is that it very well might be the last time I head out there in a Jeep. Ever since the first leaks of the Bronco 6G, I felt like it was going to be a vehicle squarely aimed at me. I'd been test driving Rangers but couldn't quite pull the trigger. My JK is tired after many years of wheeling, it's done its duty well, but I'm going to need something more reliable here soon and I don't fit in the JL/JT (headroom).

But I also couldn't commit to a Bronco until I was able to actually see one in person and drive it. A few weeks before this trip, we checked them out at the Chicago Auto Show--it shocked me how much better the interior was than the JL (and my JK), with far more headroom, rear passenger room, seat comfort, and cargo area capacity. A couple of days before we left for Colorado I found one to test drive at the local dealer, a 2.3L Badlands softtop. We couldn't stop talking about that during our trip. And when we returned, I found another dealer that let me take an extended drive in their mannequin (another 2.3L Badlands softop). I became convinced, this is the vehicle that can likely replace the JK and do everything that it does for me, but better. I finally put a reserve in on a Black Diamond--I know... back of the line, it'll be ages... but I'm ok to wait at this point, and plan for what's coming. Right now I'm thinking BD, softtop, sasquatch, mid, tow, but could be pulled up to a Badlands if after a year or so of production, the auto swaybar disconnect seems like its holding up. In any case, hopefully it will work out and we'll be rollin' back across the plains in a 6G before long.

Sponsored

BSchaffer

Wildtrak
First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Aviator, 2015 Ford 250
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Every few years we seem to end up in Colorado for some camping and trails; after an invite from some friends we headed back out there a couple of weeks ago. We camped along and reached the summit of Hagerman Pass; traversed Mosquito Pass (a trail I hadn't been on in about 17 years), Shrine Pass, and a few other things. The difference this time is that it very well might be the last time I head out there in a Jeep. Ever since the first leaks of the Bronco 6G, I felt like it was going to be a vehicle squarely aimed at me. I'd been test driving Rangers but couldn't quite pull the trigger. My JK is tired after many years of wheeling, it's done its duty well, but I'm going to need something more reliable here soon and I don't fit in the JL/JT (headroom).

But I also couldn't commit to a Bronco until I was able to actually see one in person and drive it. A few weeks before this trip, we checked them out at the Chicago Auto Show--it shocked me how much better the interior was than the JL (and my JK), with far more headroom, rear passenger room, seat comfort, and cargo area capacity. A couple of days before we left for Colorado I found one to test drive at the local dealer, a 2.3L Badlands softtop. We couldn't stop talking about that during our trip. And when we returned, I found another dealer that let me take an extended drive in their mannequin (another 2.3L Badlands softop). I became convinced, this is the vehicle that can likely replace the JK and do everything that it does for me, but better. I finally put a reserve in on a Black Diamond--I know... back of the line, it'll be ages... but I'm ok to wait at this point, and plan for what's coming. Right now I'm thinking BD, softtop, sasquatch, mid, tow, but could be pulled up to a Badlands if after a year or so of production, the auto swaybar disconnect seems like its holding up. In any case, hopefully it will work out and we'll be rollin' back across the plains in a 6G before long.

Great video Rick & Family!

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S4, 1997 993 Cab
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks for sharing, looks like a place I need to add to our list in the future.

MotownSpartan

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape XLT 6cyl
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dang those look like some amazing Fajitas! Great Video!

Sponsored

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Damn nice video. This is a lifestyle I would enjoy.

OP
OP
BroncoRick

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Got a good look at measuring the cargo area of a 4 door Bronco vs. my JK. I was concerned that my fridge freezer would not fit well in the Bronco, but it will actually fit way better in the Bronco than my Jeep. ARB 50L Classic II fits perfect and it might line up perfectly with the top of the rear gate. Ford also did good by putting the 12v receptacle up high in the cargo area where it's easy to get at...instead of low on the floor like Jeeps. Hopefully there will be a nice slide tray that bolts right into the Bronco cargo tie down points.

Last edited:

Vantcrst

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Ford F-150, Mercedes 4x4 Sprinter Van,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the post. Enjoyed the video.
Sponsored