Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Similar argument can be made on the other side. You mention how it weighs less (which I can assume you are trying to say that added weight won't help while off-roading???). And then you mention money for the swap (which for most of us, maybe not the OP, is basically just a dream).

So with that said, why would I want to smash my $50k truck on some rocks? I can just buy an older SUV to do that with.

Lastly though, you did offer some insight. Thanks.
you could still take it down normal trails and low risk areas. and ya, if it's just a dream but thinking realistically (if that makes sense) money would be the biggest factor and that because the bronco is so new, you'd have to do a lot of custom work and built custom parts. parts that may not have been tested and could fail. was just also thinking that squeezing the exhaust pipes past the trans could be an issue. seeing that the engine is going to be pushed back a bit, the clearance from the firewall and trans is not going to leave a lot of space for 2 big pipes to squeeze through.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I believe 5 Star is getting 500 plus out of a 2.7 so why bother with a V8 swap? Seems like a lot less work upgrading a couple of items and spending a couple of hours on the dyno.
because some people are just v8 purists. They don’t care about how much power a 4cyl or V6 makes. It’s not a v8. I’m not one of them

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I believe 5 Star is getting 500 plus out of a 2.7 so why bother with a V8 swap? Seems like a lot less work upgrading a couple of items and spending a couple of hours on the dyno.
Because a 460 can get 700 hp NA on the stock rods. Then for the weight issue folks you can aluminum boss 351 can weigh less than the 2.7. An all aluminum 351 SBF would likely start at over 400 hp. If it was a 408 or 427 it would probably be 550 hp before superchargers or turbos.

After that we have to think about axles and transmissions. There are plebty of companies making beefy 6 speeds and autos for 4x4s that will fit any combo. Then I think you atleast need some nice built 9" or dana 60s.

So after suspension upgrades I think all this can be done for about $30,000 minus labor. Put that on a base 2 door, and say you can sell your takeoffs to pay for labor, you are really only looking at $65,000 for something insane in the membrane compared to a loaded lifted Rubicon or a Raptor or even Hellcat stuff. Even if my numbers are off by 10k thats well within the range of plenty of builders. If you wanted to do this with a NA Coyote add 10k aswell.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
you could still take it down normal trails and low risk areas. and ya, if it's just a dream but thinking realistically (if that makes sense) money would be the biggest factor and that because the bronco is so new, you'd have to do a lot of custom work and built custom parts. parts that may not have been tested and could fail. was just also thinking that squeezing the exhaust pipes past the trans could be an issue. seeing that the engine is going to be pushed back a bit, the clearance from the firewall and trans is not going to leave a lot of space for 2 big pipes to squeeze through.
Sidepipes!

Sponsored

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have the 351 stroked to 427 na in one car love it to death ,but i think im taking the 2.3 and throwing enough stuff at it to be fun.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have the 351 stroked to 427 na in one car love it to death ,but i think im taking the 2.3 and throwing enough stuff at it to be fun.
And if it you blow its lid going all out, you got that 427 waiting lol!

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
As I’ve said repeatedly, I’ll believe a coyote or Godzilla swapped bronco when I see one. Down the road 5 years? At SEMA? Absolutely there’s going to be some V8 Bronco builds. But in the first 3-4 years I don’t see anyone doing one outside of some crazy rich person. It’s just way too much money for basically no performance gain, or it’s so much performance gain that the other upgrades needed will put your Bronco well over $100k.

texasgreazer

Heritage
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer, 2019 GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

As I’ve said repeatedly, I’ll believe a coyote or Godzilla swapped bronco when I see one.
Godzilla actually seems like a very logical direction to go if you just HAD to go v8. Sourced straight from a super duty, made for heavy duty use, already applied to a 4 X 4, and its smaller than the coyote-easier to fit under the hood. Take everything underneath a 7.3, engine, trans, maybe even axles, throw it under the bronce. Literally, put the Bronco body on a shortened F250 chassis. I bet you could even keep a large portion of emission/technology integration.

Sponsored

nomnom

Base
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Basequatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

LS is so mainstream. let's really hurt some feelings and put a viper engine in it.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
LS is so mainstream. let's really hurt some feelings and put a viper engine in it.
I think for the people who dont know if the 2.3 is strong enough, they could swap in a 4BT diesel. 105hp/265lbft of weak sauce fury!

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Easily. Even bolt on mods for the 2.7 will put components of the bronco to its limits if you push it hard. (Especially the front axle shafts). On the street will be fine but off roading a high horsepower/torque engine is a whole different ball game since you’re sending all that torque through a transfer case. Pretty much any high horsepower Wrangler is running one ton axles, and a one ton front is WAY stronger than the IFS on the Bronco.
Sponsored