Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
  • Banned
I went to my dealer this morning for my first oil change AND tire rotation. I told the service department rep that I would like ALL 5 TIRES ROTATED. She couldn't understand and called over another employee. The guy told me that NO ONE rotates 5 tires and you cannot do that. I showed them the 5 tire rotation for 4WD vehicles diagram below. After much huffing & puffing they agreed to do the rotation according to my diagram.

I was called back from the waiting area 20 minutes later and confronted by the service manager surrounded by his minions. He informed me that the spare does NOT contain a TPMS sensor. I could rotate the spare, but the vehicle would not display it's pressure AND I would have a constant tire warning light. They explained I could buy a sensor, have it installed which would be expensive now and every time I rotated the tires. I caved and said just do the 4 tire rotation.

THE FACTS: Bronco spare (5th) wheels DO HAVE TPMS sensors!

I found the FORD video below while in the waiting room that clearly states 1.11 into the video that "The spare tire on your Bronco also has a TPMS sensor". I went back to service and grabbed the one guy who seemed to have a brain and showed him the Ford video. He smiled and lit up and we agreed the guys in the garage would test the spare to see if they got a TPMS reading. 15 minutes later he comes up to me and says 'we can do the 5 tire rotation' I wanted. They easily found the sensor reading inside the spare. He apologized for their mistake.

Question everything!

Curious: For your Bronco, do you guys 1) rotate 5 tires 2) rotate 4 tires 3) do not rotate

Ford Bronco 5 Tire Rotation - Bronco TPMS Sensors -The FACTS Screenshot_20230103-094659
Sponsored

Last edited:

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I went to my dealer this morning for my first oil change AND tire rotation. I told the service department rep that I would like ALL 5 TIRES ROTATED. She couldn't understand and called over another employee. The guy told me that NO ONE rotates 5 tires and you cannot do that. I showed them the 5 tire rotation for 4WD vehicles diagram below. After much huffing & puffing they agreed to do the rotation according to my diagram.

I was called back from the waiting area 20 minutes later and confronted by the service manager surrounded by his minions. He informed me that the spare does NOT contain a TPMS sensor. I could rotate the spare, but the vehicle would not display it's pressure AND I would have a constant tire warning light. They explained I could buy a sensor, have it installed which would be expensive now and every time I rotated the tires. I caved and said just do the 4 tire rotation.

THE FACTS: Bronco spare (5th) wheels DO HAVE TPMS sensors!

I found the FORD video below while in the waiting room that clearly states 1.11 into the video that "The spare tire on your Bronco also has a TPMS sensor". I went back to service and grabbed the one guy who seemed to have a brain and showed him the Ford video. He smiled and lit up and we agreed they guys in the garage would test the spare to see if they got a TPMS reading. 15 minutes later he comes up to me and says 'we can do the 5 tire rotation' I wanted. They easily found the sensor reading inside the spare. He apologized and thanked me for helping them know the truth.

Question everything!

Ford Bronco 5 Tire Rotation - Bronco TPMS Sensors -The FACTS Screenshot_20230103-094659
That is sad
Doesn't it feel good when you show them how to Do their job?

Zac

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had the same issue on my second oil change and rotation at a new dealership. They told me they can't do a 5-tire rotation because there's no TPMS sensor in the spare. I told him that there definitely is, and even showed him where the manual says that the spare has a sensor. But the supervisor insisted that the spare has no TPMS sensor and told me that they know it for a fact because they've done several aftermarket wheel/tire swaps for people.

I said just do the 5-tire rotation, check for a sensor in the spare, and if there isn't one in there then let me know and I'll contact Ford to get one. Lots of eye rolls. They did the rotation like I asked, but still insist there's no sensor in it. Told me that the pressure reading for the front left tire (where they rotated in the spare) is actually from the spare (which is the former front left tire that was rotated out).

FellowM3

Raptor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 22' Braptor, 2020 BMW M340
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Thanks for this info. The quicklane i went to said the sameee exacttt thingg

It was my first oil change at 2500 miles, so I told them skip it.

I'll be bringing this info next oil change.

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My 4 tires get rotated every time I'm rolling down the road (y)

Jokes aside, I get all 5 tires rotated every oil change. I would have approved them to install a TPMS in the spare, and see if they a) charge you once they see there's one in it already or b) fess up that they were wrong.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

5 tire there is Definitely a sensor in the spare. It’s not like it’s any harder than a 4 tire rotation. Another reason I do my own work.

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had all 5 rotated at my last appointment. Had no issues asking about having it done or after it was done. Tech even wrote down what tire was swapped with the spare. Spare definitely has TPMS included

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I completed my 5 tire rotation last week, absolutely no issues.

I thought maybe I was going to have to program it to look for the right tire positions, but the Bronco figured it out.

On a side note... yes, the average mechanic sucks these days.

I was contemplating selling my '71 BSA and called a local motorcycle shop to see if they would be interested in it. The manager said his mechanics don't know how to work on "regular" bikes anymore. Apparently, if they can't plug it into a computer they don't know what to do.

Last edited:

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I told my dealership to rotate all 5 and when I got home I realized they hadn't because I'd made a sharpie mark on the spare before I left home. They also dinged me for twice the FordPass points than they should have. I drove it back, complained, and they made everything right and gave me some extra points back. Now I rotate all 5 on my own.

But they never gave me any garbage about the spare not having a TPMS sensor.

Sponsored

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I completed my 5 tire rotation last week, absolutely no issues.

I thought maybe I was going to have to program it to look for the right tire positions, but the Bronco figured it out.
Follow up...do you just need to drive once the rotation is done and things sync or do something different? I'm planning on making the 5 tire rotation part of my new home gym plan. We'll see if I have to call my son to put the spare up or if I crush myself underneath.

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2019 Ford F250, 2009 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Follow up...do you just need to drive once the rotation is done and things sync or do something different? I'm planning on making the 5 tire rotation part of my new home gym plan. We'll see if I have to call my son to put the spare up or if I crush myself underneath.
There is a little cheap tool you can buy or some OBD scanners will reset tpms

But yes, they should do their thing in 2-10 miles or so. My F250 takes 5-6 miles to completely figure out where I put the tires.

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yep, just drive.

After I drove for a few minutes, I lowered the pressure on my left rear just to make sure it was showing in the correct position and it was.

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I went to Discount Tire and had zero issues with a 5 tire rotation, and when I swapped to aftermarket wheels, they took all the TPMS sensors out and put them on the new wheels. No issues with 5 tire rotations and all 5 TPMS. Discount Tire was solid /shrug
Sponsored