Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had the same issue on my second oil change and rotation at a new dealership. They told me they can't do a 5-tire rotation because there's no TPMS sensor in the spare. I told him that there definitely is, and even showed him where the manual says that the spare has a sensor. But the supervisor insisted that the spare has no TPMS sensor and told me that they know it for a fact because they've done several aftermarket wheel/tire swaps for people.

I said just do the 5-tire rotation, check for a sensor in the spare, and if there isn't one in there then let me know and I'll contact Ford to get one. Lots of eye rolls. They did the rotation like I asked, but still insist there's no sensor in it. Told me that the pressure reading for the front left tire (where they rotated in the spare) is actually from the spare (which is the former front left tire that was rotated out).
Air down and you’ll see that they’re incorrect. We have TPMS in the spare. I do not believe there is any programming they have to do, I think it picks up the sensor once you drive a little ways (I could be incorrect on that one thing though)
Sponsored

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I Told me that the pressure reading for the front left tire (where they rotated in the spare) is actually from the spare (which is the former front left tire that was rotated out).
Wonder why they didn't just say the reading is from the other Ford being worked on in the next stall?
I would never take my car back to a dealer whos workforce is as inept as this group of people were. Don't want my my tires falling off on the highway.

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I decided to not do a 5-tire rotation. I'll treat it like a spare in my other vehicles...I don't rotate those spares either. Sure, I'll lose a little life, not I'll only buy 4 new tires instead of 5 down the road.
The main issue is for people that heavily off-road.

The idea is that if you need to use your spare and it's at 100% compared to say, 50% on the other 3, it would make a difference while on the rocks, one being more different than the others.

In my experience, I haven't enough experience so I don't know which to believe, but since I'm taking mine off-road often, I'll just follow the off-roader's wives' tales and keep my tires as evenly worn as possible.

If you're sticking to pavement and dirt roads, I don't think this will be an issue ever.

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I completed my 5 tire rotation last week, absolutely no issues.

I thought maybe I was going to have to program it to look for the right tire positions, but the Bronco figured it out.

On a side note... yes, the average mechanic sucks these days.

I was contemplating selling my '71 BSA and called a local motorcycle shop to see if they would be interested in it. The manager said his mechanics don't know how to work on "regular" bikes anymore. Apparently, if they can't plug it into a computer they don't know what to do.
I have an 88 and a 96 bronco. The local shop I go to (Which has serviced both trucks in the past) told me they can't work on the 88 anymore, and that the oldest vehicle they will work on is 96+ (I guess because of OBD2)

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For example, it's word for word the same note in the Ford Edge manual on p. 339
You know what else that manual says that's bizarre but I'd really like to see now?

Note: Certain add-on devices installed around the bumper or fascia may create false alerts, for example, large trailer hitches, bike or surfboard racks, license plate brackets, bumper covers or any other device that could block the normal detection zone of the parking aid system. Aftermarket spare tires or spare tire covers mounted to the rear tailgate could cause false alerts from the park aid system. Remove the add-on device to prevent false alerts.

Sponsored

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have an 88 and a 96 bronco. The local shop I go to (Which has serviced both trucks in the past) told me they can't work on the 88 anymore, and that the oldest vehicle they will work on is 96+ (I guess because of OBD2)
I guess it's easier to let the computer do all the work these days, it's no wonder why so many people have problems with basic troubleshooting...

Screenshot_20211020-222423_Messages.jpg

DD214

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2015 Pilot, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My dealer did the 5 tire rotation without any issue.
Same same. I can tell by the rocks and pebbles in the spare as it sits on the back of the Bronco it was charged out.

BadlandsCable

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went to my dealer this morning for my first oil change AND tire rotation. I told the service department rep that I would like ALL 5 TIRES ROTATED. She couldn't understand and called over another employee. The guy told me that NO ONE rotates 5 tires and you cannot do that. I showed them the 5 tire rotation for 4WD vehicles diagram below. After much huffing & puffing they agreed to do the rotation according to my diagram.

I was called back from the waiting area 20 minutes later and confronted by the service manager surrounded by his minions. He informed me that the spare does NOT contain a TPMS sensor. I could rotate the spare, but the vehicle would not display it's pressure AND I would have a constant tire warning light. They explained I could buy a sensor, have it installed which would be expensive now and every time I rotated the tires. I caved and said just do the 4 tire rotation.

THE FACTS: Bronco spare (5th) wheels DO HAVE TPMS sensors!

I found the FORD video below while in the waiting room that clearly states 1.11 into the video that "The spare tire on your Bronco also has a TPMS sensor". I went back to service and grabbed the one guy who seemed to have a brain and showed him the Ford video. He smiled and lit up and we agreed the guys in the garage would test the spare to see if they got a TPMS reading. 15 minutes later he comes up to me and says 'we can do the 5 tire rotation' I wanted. They easily found the sensor reading inside the spare. He apologized for their mistake.

Question everything!

Curious: For your Bronco, do you guys 1) rotate 5 tires 2) rotate 4 tires 3) do not rotate

Ford Bronco 5 Tire Rotation - Bronco TPMS Sensors -The FACTS Screenshot_20211020-222423_Messages
All five at dealer no issues.

BroncoTrail

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I gave them the diagram, asked them to perform the 5-tire rotation, and told them the TPMS was in the spare.
This is all anyone needs to do.
Print out the diagram so it's clear for them to understand.
Or email it to them and have them print it out there.
Or have them snap a photo of the diagram on your phone with their phone.

Make it easy for them.

Martiin

Outer Banks
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I went to my dealer this morning for my first oil change AND tire rotation. I told the service department rep that I would like ALL 5 TIRES ROTATED. She couldn't understand and called over another employee. The guy told me that NO ONE rotates 5 tires and you cannot do that. I showed them the 5 tire rotation for 4WD vehicles diagram below. After much huffing & puffing they agreed to do the rotation according to my diagram.

I was called back from the waiting area 20 minutes later and confronted by the service manager surrounded by his minions. He informed me that the spare does NOT contain a TPMS sensor. I could rotate the spare, but the vehicle would not display it's pressure AND I would have a constant tire warning light. They explained I could buy a sensor, have it installed which would be expensive now and every time I rotated the tires. I caved and said just do the 4 tire rotation.

I found the FORD video below while in the waiting room that clearly states 1.11 into the video that "The spare tire on your Bronco also has a TPMS sensor". I went back to service and grabbed the one guy who seemed to have a brain and showed him the Ford video. He smiled and lit up and we agreed the guys in the garage would test the spare to see if they got a TPMS reading. 15 minutes later he comes up to me and says 'we can do the 5 tire rotation' I wanted. They easily found the sensor reading inside the spare. He apologized for their mistake.

Question everything!

Curious: For your Bronco, do you guys 1) rotate 5 tires 2) rotate 4 tires 3) do not rotate

Ford Bronco 5 Tire Rotation - Bronco TPMS Sensors -The FACTS Screenshot_20211020-222423_Messages
I did tire rotation on my bronco and had a similar experience I left the dealer and went to a local 4x4 shop who did it. They wanted to charge an additional $40 to rotate the 5 wheen because they said that was not standard rotation practices and they would have to go out of their way.

On a side note I have a question for all of you maybe someone will have the answer.....I had a flat a few weeks back and swapped the front driver wheel with the spare. It took me a few days to get the flat tire repaired but after about a day or 2 the truck actually stopped notification that the tire was flat and when I finally went in to get tire repair and tpms programed for the front tire they said it was set. And it must of done so by itself

Is this possible and does the bronco have the capability of automatically knowing when tire was replaced and tpms programed into correct tire? I Hava a 21 bronco outerbanks sasquatch

Sponsored

Ourbroncolife

Outer Banks
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Question everything!

Good job sticking to your guns. We took ours in yesterday and no questions asked about 5 tire rotation.

2DR22Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04Cobra, 95Cobra, 17Explorer, 89Bronco!!, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Having the 5th tire for rotation makes it much easier to rotate yourself as you never have to have 2 tires off the car at the same time.....

Only difficulty doing yourself is the tires are heavy heavy heavy and not fun to line up when holding them up.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Having the 5th tire for rotation makes it much easier to rotate yourself as you never have to have 2 tires off the car at the same time.....

Only difficulty doing yourself is the tires are heavy heavy heavy and not fun to line up when holding them up.
71KV6KOOtlL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
… Curious: For your Bronco, do you guys 1) rotate 5 tires 2) rotate 4 tires 3) do not rotate
I can’t think of a single reason to do a 4-tire rotation except that when you get very near end-of-life, you’ll have a spare that is also near end-of-life, which is probably not what you’d want on a longer trip.

I’d rather get full use out of my 5 tires and not worry about a very old spare. Also, I t’s very common for tire manufacturers to change the tread pattern on their tires, so even if you buy the same model next time, it might not match. It’s not likely to be an issue driving on that mix, but I’ve often found that there are other, better tires that have been introduced and I like the flexibility of choice.

if you’re the type that can’t stand looking at a warn spare hanging off the tailgate, get a cover. 🙂

Mpatient1

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BD CO/MID, 2006 mustang pony package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I feel like there is no industry standard here....

Ford Bronco 5 Tire Rotation - Bronco TPMS Sensors -The FACTS 71KV6KOOtlL._AC_SL1500_
I like the 5 wheel rearward cross because if they refuse to do all 5 and I don't feel like arguing it all I have to do is swap the spare with the rear right when I get home...

I have found it easier with my Jeeps to just do a 4 tire rotation, and when it is time to buy a new set of tires, I only buy 3 new tires. I rotate the spare in and take the best looking used tire and move it up to spare tire status. Avoids some hassle and gives you the same result in the end.
That is a plan with merit, once I wear through the factory set. But I think I'd prefer the extended time frame the 5 tire rotation would provide for sourcing a full set when needed. Where your method would make it a somewhat more urgent situation once the spare is used. But all the methods are fine if the circumstances are right.
Sponsored