Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I rotated five BFG MT 33x12.5x16.5 on three sets of tires over 30 years...I was younger then.
Know what I figgered out? Rotating five vs four they last about 20% longer!!!
Your mileage will vary!!!

old_blue_apr_2018.jpg

OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
I rotated five BFG MT 33x12.5x16.5 on three sets of tires over 30 years...I was younger then.
Know what I figgered out? Rotating five vs four they last about 20% longer!!!
Your mileage will vary!!!

Ford Bronco 5 wheel tire rotation... Why you should do it! old_blue_apr_2018
Absolutely! And you only have 1 wheel off the truck at a time 👍🏻

CBWAR1

First Name
CB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F250 Custom 4X4; Pending: Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
According to the following sites https://www.ford.com/support/vehicl...co-individual-tire-pressure-monitoring-system and https://www.vehicleservicepros.com/...vice-tpms-diagnostics-in-the-2021-ford-bronco it can be done.

I agree that the five tire rotation and before the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) I would also do a five tire rotation when the vehicle's spare had the same wheel and tire size.
Yeah, Ford modernized the TPMS setup... You no longer have to relearn any sensors!

Sponsored

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I rotated all 5, and the sensors picked right up without a hiccup… 👍

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Do you rotate your own tires? Do you do all 5 or just 4?
Here I walk you thru a 5 tire rotation and explain why you should!

I decided to do a 5 tire rotation as well. Told my dealer that I wanted it when I stopped in for my early oil change.

The service desk advised me against doing it and said stick to 4 tire rotation. I insisted he do a 5 and went about my day.

About an hour later I get a call from the service desk saying the technician on the floor is imploring him that I only do a 4 tire rotation or it’ll “mess up your 4wd system”. I caved and just rotated in the 5th tire when I got it back.

Seems like there’s a lot of misinformation out there, dealerships are not exempt!

OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
I decided to do a 5 tire rotation as well. Told my dealer that I wanted it when I stopped in for my early oil change.

The service desk advised me against doing it and said stick to 4 tire rotation. I insisted he do a 5 and went about my day.

About an hour later I get a call from the service desk saying the technician on the floor is imploring him that I only do a 4 tire rotation or it’ll “mess up your 4wd system”. I caved and just rotated in the 5th tire when I got it back.

Seems like there’s a lot of misinformation out there, dealerships are not exempt!
Well, the tech has a valid point.... Sorta. With doing a 5 wheel rotation, you need to diligently do it more frequently than a 4 wheel...
You don't want a noticeably larger diameter wheel opposite a smaller, worn down one on the same axle... And with 1 of your 5 wheels always riding piggy-back, you definitely don't wanna go 25K between rotations.

dbattle

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Prius
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So here's my thought on the matter. I'm thinking a 5 tire rotation but not the way your'e thinking about it. Hear me out. (this is all assuming that you are going to stick with the same tires down the road, which might be easier said than done given how the world rapidly changes around us. )

Yes you can gain 20% life on the tires but when you go to replace the tires you're paying 20% more so it's a bit of a wash. The advantage to adding the 5th tire to the rotation is that when you need a spare down the road it's not going to be a 10 year old tire that you can't count on. On the other hand it's nice to have a "show" tire on the back of your vehicle instead of a beat up nasty looking tire. So what's the solution?

My thought is do the normal 4 tire rotation and keep the new tire looking new for the life of the first set of tires. Then when it comes time to replace the tires you still only replace 4 tires but (assuming you're sticking with the same size and model tire) this is when you switch out the spare tire with a new one and put the spare into the rotation. The advantage being that you don't need to worry down the line that you have an old dry rot tire that you can't depend on if you need it and you also don't have to pay the extra $300 (or so) every time you replace your tires. The extra 20% of life is nice but in reality you're going to replace the tires 2 times in the life of a vehicle the added 20k miles will be nice but you won't really see the benefit of it unless you're taking the car beyond 160k miles. Most people aren't. And in the meantime you've paid around $600 extra for tires by this point.

One note: I've seen the argument that if you work the spare into the rotation that it will evenly wear so you don't have to be concerned about it being drastically different if you actually need it. Personally I think the Bronco will handle the slight variation just fine for the short time until the bad tire can be fixed. Let's be honest we've all seen that car driving down the road with the silly looking (small) donut. The variation isn't going to hurt in the short term.

That's my thinking. I'm open to hearing other peoples counter opinions.

OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So here's my thought on the matter. I'm thinking a 5 tire rotation but not the way your'e thinking about it. Hear me out. (this is all assuming that you are going to stick with the same tires down the road, which might be easier said than done given how the world rapidly changes around us. )

Yes you can gain 20% life on the tires but when you go to replace the tires you're paying 20% more so it's a bit of a wash. The advantage to adding the 5th tire to the rotation is that when you need a spare down the road it's not going to be a 10 year old tire that you can't count on. On the other hand it's nice to have a "show" tire on the back of your vehicle instead of a beat up nasty looking tire. So what's the solution?

My thought is do the normal 4 tire rotation and keep the new tire looking new for the life of the first set of tires. Then when it comes time to replace the tires you still only replace 4 tires but (assuming you're sticking with the same size and model tire) this is when you switch out the spare tire with a new one and put the spare into the rotation. The advantage being that you don't need to worry down the line that you have an old dry rot tire that you can't depend on if you need it and you also don't have to pay the extra $300 (or so) every time you replace your tires. The extra 20% of life is nice but in reality you're going to replace the tires 2 times in the life of a vehicle the added 20k miles will be nice but you won't really see the benefit of it unless you're taking the car beyond 160k miles. Most people aren't. And in the meantime you've paid around $600 extra for tires by this point.

One note: I've seen the argument that if you work the spare into the rotation that it will evenly wear so you don't have to be concerned about it being drastically different if you actually need it. Personally I think the Bronco will handle the slight variation just fine for the short time until the bad tire can be fixed. Let's be honest we've all seen that car driving down the road with the silly looking (small) donut. The variation isn't going to hurt in the short term.

Valid points.... Makes sense.
I'm guessing most Sasquatch tire runners aren't going with another set of Goodyears...
And would you get that kinda mileage outta a set of A/T tires...?

Sponsored

Mpatient1

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BD CO/MID, 2006 mustang pony package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I figure 5 tire rotation, if one gets damaged then I'll replace it (replacement will be a spare only, find a cheap decent used tire) and go on with 4 tire rotation until I need to replace the set.

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

assuming you're sticking with the same size and model tire
To me that’s the reason to keep the spare in the tire rotation. Who knows what’ll be available and what tires you might want years later.

dbattle

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Prius
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Valid points.... Makes sense.
I'm guessing most Sasquatch tire runners aren't going with another set of Goodyears...
And would you get that kinda mileage outta a set of A/T tires...?
Well the Nitto Recon Grapplers A/T are warranted through 55k miles so I'm assuming somewhere in the range is reasonable to assume.

dbattle

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Prius
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
To me that’s the reason to keep the spare in the tire rotation. Who knows what’ll be available and what tires you might want years later.
That’s fair. I think if the tires weren’t available then I would simply keep the same tire on the back. My vehicle is garaged 365 so I’m less concerned about it going bad from the elements down the road. I’d obviously inspect it to make sure but I prefer to have a good looking tire on the back then pay the extra $300 (or so) every time. Plus the cost that might be charged for adding an extra tire to the rotation.
Sponsored