First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would spot weld them... lol just joking. With 113NM torque they aren't going anywhere. Just double check after the first 50 miles or so...
I'm not worried about them going anywhere. Anti-seize makes them easier to take off, fighting corrosion.
Sponsored

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not worried about them going anywhere. Anti-seize makes them easier to take off, fighting corrosion.
True...read that wrong. It's been a long day... šŸ˜‚

Realtor

Wildtrak
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, GT350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

... Instead of buying two new tires, I buy one new tire and match it with the unused 5th wheel on the other side. The good worn wheel goes to spare duty.

If/when I lose another tire, hopefully the worn spare is similar tread depth as the rest of the vehicle. Then I can put a new tire back on spare duty. (Road hazard warranty is my best friend lol)

If you have bad luck and lose a lot of tires, this is more optimal than a 5 wheel rotation.

Yes, if youā€™re doing 5 tire rotation, you can lose a tire and still have matching tread depths for 4 corners. But once you put a new tire on the spare, you will have mismatched tread depths if you continue the 5 wheel rotation. If you keep it out of the rotation, then you fall into my practice stated above.
This is my guide. Sometimes, my tires are not forever. I'd rather have a fresh spare to match a hazard replacement. I sometimes get full life, and then buy 3 of the same brand, which ends at 4 for the price of 3. Rotating all 5 costs more time or money or both.
Over my time of ownership:
Have a new match available if there's a need 2 or 4 new tires > 5 tire rotation.

OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What do you think of using anti-seize on the threads of the lugs?
I wouldn't recommend it.... At the least, it'll effect the torque applied and possibly stretch the threads.
I had a friend who used grease on her wheels studs and she was constantly having to retorque them.
Clean, dry threads is the way to go.

Sponsored

Broncoman7072

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 70 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The one Iā€™m using is basically the same thing that Broncoman7072 and the ownerā€™s manual describe, except the left front does a stint as a spare before it moves to the right rear. Same pattern, but it gets the spare into the rotationā€¦

And also, it enables you to jack up just one corner at a time as you rotateā€¦
I guess I should have made that more clear. Cross the non-driving and the one that would normally go to right rear goes to spare and spare goes to right rear.

So we actually do it the same way. I just didn't mention how the spare was handled.

Saw4Fire

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe....? Lol
5 of 100% is 20% is the way I looked at it šŸ¤·
That's 20% of the tire life of five tires. One tire added is 25% of the tire life of four tires. So, the increase of tire life using five tires over four is 25%.

Keep in mind that the cost of replacing five tires is 25% more than the cost of replacing four tires, so there's no free lunch.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I say I'm thrifty, (my wife says "cheap") - so I've typically run my tires til they're worn out/at the depth notch.
I can be thrifty too but I've had an alternative proposed to me that kind of makes sense. Take off your tires at 50% and sell them on CL. You'll probably get about half the purchase price and your rig will always have good tires.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I guess I should have made that more clear. Cross the non-driving and the one that would normally go to right rear goes to spare and spare goes to right rear.

So we actually do it the same way. I just didn't mention how the spare was handled.
And that is why I have a cheat sheet! šŸ˜‚

Seriously, this is my first ā€œ5-tireā€ vehicle, so I wanted to be sure I do it the same way each time until itā€™s committed to memory. Iā€™ve had several different kinds of vehicles over the years, so there wasnā€™t a one-size-fits-all rotation plan Iā€™ve ever usedā€¦

Sponsored

Austin Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Street Scrambler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The manual answers it for me, 5 rotation it is.
God damn dealer just uninformed or lying. I was told you donā€™t do a 5 tire rotation, they were adamant and I wasnā€™t sure. Next time doing this for sure. (Only had 1 rotation thus far)

ForFoxSake

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
God damn dealer just uninformed or lying. I was told you donā€™t do a 5 tire rotation, they were adamant and I wasnā€™t sure. Next time doing this for sure. (Only had 1 rotation thus far)
Honestly, I think it's like any job when something new comes out. You learn as you go, and some of the techs at these dealerships stick to what they think they know.

My issue is when service reps refuse to book a service your asking for, and even paying for.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Yeah, I was trying to figure out when the guys that rotated my tires fiddled with things so that the former spare would get recognized. I didn't see them do anything, and that is probably because they don't have to anymore. That's a good thing in my book.

I can see it now - you're only allowed to get flat tires on the right side, because the spare is directional for going on the right side. :rolleyes:

I remember 20 years ago when I had a Honda S2000. That car had wider tires in the back AND they were directional. No tire rotations of any form on that one.
Same issue with the Mercury Marauder. What we they drinking when they decided that? Design Kool-aid?

RELEGATION BATTLE

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco (2-dr.)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Iā€™ll be honest why I never do a 5-wheel rotation: I always want a new set of tires long before the amount of time it takes to wear out a 5-tire rotation.

Not to mention, even with a 4-wheel rotation, Iā€™ve noticed dry rot usually makes the decision for me to buy a new set very easy anyway.
Sponsored