Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco HOSS 3.0 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Some of you will disagree with me, but maybe I will win you over with this review. I bring receipts, 50,000 miles of them, both on and off road.

IMG_20221126_093152.jpg

As delivered, my Bronco sucked... For clarity, I took delivery of my 2021 2 door Bronco 2.7l Outer Banks Edition Bronco on 19 Nov 2021. It had 3 packages Advanced 4x4, Lux, and Tow with me paying $47,953 (just under MSRP) + TTL (~$3,100).

received_1670734536661668.jpeg

I mean, look at it, totally f-d up rake, dirt everywhere from its time at Dirt Mountain Storage Complex, double honking when it shouldn't be... even the coolant hose was ready to be severed by an engine pulley. Adding insult to injury, the weak sauce B&O system could not be heard over the wind noise coming from the "MIC 2.0" hardtop - which was at least all one color in my personal case.

In many ways, I actively disliked my Bronco as delivered. I might add that I was many times more fortunate than others who have lost engines, transfer cases, fuel pumps, tie rods, and steering racks. My Bronco was built at a time when the MAP employees were not high AF and they did a pretty good job of assembling it (I have only found a few trivial missteps so far. I also missed the airbag recall and the windshield recall.

Now, although I have started off from a somewhat negative place with my Bronco review, I actually love my Bronco... just not the way Ford delivered it. If it wasn't for this Forum, FORSCAN, and FDRS. I would have likely traded it in for a Jeep (or something else).

received_233184485644998.jpeg

It has evolved from a vehicle that I had so much to dislike, to something, that even after 50k miles, I still love to drive.

A few things that I do love (and are as delivered by Ford). The 2.7 engine has been rock solid despite the fact that it was in the window for bad valves. It's a beast, especially in a 4416# vehicle. The transmission has been flawless, it doesn't hunt gears, it's reliable, and does a great job of being in the right gear most of the time (especially in sport mode).

The Bronco has taken me to some amazing places during these 50,000 miles. I have more miles than $ in my Bronco now (based on just MSRP).

I will detail all the details on the changes needed to make my Bronco meet my expectations.

And yes, I would do it again (and probably will, because I have a WildTrak on order).
I'm really truly curious how you managed to put 50K on your Bronco already. What kind of commuting do you do?

I think in an ideal world, we would have all been able to cherry pick all the features we wanted and truly design our own Bronco on the build & price. How much more behind would MAP be building these as a result?

I was close to originally ordering an OBX Sasquatch 2.7, because I wanted the High package, but then decided to do a Black Diamond non Sasquatch as I wanted the rubber floors and (thought) I wanted MGV. I really liked it, but when the 3.0 Wildtrak was announced, I couldn't help myself.

Now I know that I much prefer cloth to MGV, but why do I have to be stuck with carpet flooring? I would have paid extra for washout rubber floors.
I traded in my Black Diamond with 6k miles, and my 3.0 Wildtrak only has 2k miles on it, but I love this thing. Would I prefer to also have rubber floors and swaybar disconnect? Sure, but I think in this situation we just have to pick the best trim for us like you did and slightly (or not slightly) modify it.
Sponsored

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was really looking forward to Mark’s 50k review, but it went a crappy direction….too bad
Lot’s of whiners picking nits.

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Bronco is a typical crappy Ford, so that does suck. And you didn't go with a Wildtrak, so of course the trim level sucks.

But how the hell did you do 50k miles in a year?
A lot of driving between Corpus Christi and San Angelo Texas. I commute over 700 miles every weekend, so that's 38,500 miles just going back and forth between the two locations.

Add in a trip to Colorado Springs, a trip to Florida, a trip to Big Bend National Park, etc and it all adds up to real mileage.

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was really looking forward to Mark’s 50k review, but it went a crappy direction….too bad
Lot’s of whiners picking nits.
It really does not get to me. I was actually meaning it to be a positive review, because overall, my Bronco has been pretty damn reliable.

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm really truly curious how you managed to put 50K on your Bronco already. What kind of commuting do you do?

I think in an ideal world, we would have all been able to cherry pick all the features we wanted and truly design our own Bronco on the build & price. How much more behind would MAP be building these as a result?

I was close to originally ordering an OBX Sasquatch 2.7, because I wanted the High package, but then decided to do a Black Diamond non Sasquatch as I wanted the rubber floors and (thought) I wanted MGV. I really liked it, but when the 3.0 Wildtrak was announced, I couldn't help myself.

Now I know that I much prefer cloth to MGV, but why do I have to be stuck with carpet flooring? I would have paid extra for washout rubber floors.
I traded in my Black Diamond with 6k miles, and my 3.0 Wildtrak only has 2k miles on it, but I love this thing. Would I prefer to also have rubber floors and swaybar disconnect? Sure, but I think in this situation we just have to pick the best trim for us like you did and slightly (or not slightly) modify it.
My swaybar disconnect was made by Craftsman. I too would have loved to have the option to get washout floors with cloth interior (just like my F-150). The HOSS 3.0 package should really be an option available to the Badlands.

Sponsored

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Dood has more miles on his Bronco than maybe anyone out there. Gives an honest review with both good and bad. Fair enough. Agree or disagree if you actually own one and if you don’t, take the information and do what you will with it.

People’s Ford feelers always getting hurt. Quit being so GD sensitive.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm probably going to do a 1 year review as well but I might not even have 10k on it. Around 9 weeks left and 2k to get there.

I don't really have anything to complain about though, stuff like the stereo, MIC top, and double honk haven't been issues for me.

But a Tesla would be the ideal high miles commuter.
I'd like to see 50k in a year on the F355 and a report on that.

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some of you will disagree with me, but maybe I will win you over with this review. I bring receipts, 50,000 miles of them, both on and off road.

IMG_20221126_093152.jpg

As delivered, my Bronco sucked... For clarity, I took delivery of my 2021 2 door Bronco 2.7l Outer Banks Edition Bronco on 19 Nov 2021. It had 3 packages Advanced 4x4, Lux, and Tow with me paying $47,953 (just under MSRP) + TTL (~$3,100).

I mean, look at it, totally f-d up rake, dirt everywhere from its time at Dirt Mountain Storage Complex, double honking when it shouldn't be... even the coolant hose was ready to be severed by an engine pulley. Adding insult to injury, the weak sauce B&O system could not be heard over the wind noise coming from the "MIC 2.0" hardtop - which was at least all one color in my personal case.

In many ways, I actively disliked my Bronco as delivered. I might add that I was many times more fortunate than others who have lost engines, transfer cases, fuel pumps, tie rods, and steering racks. My Bronco was built at a time when the MAP employees were not high AF and they did a pretty good job of assembling it (I have only found a few trivial missteps so far. I also missed the airbag recall and the windshield recall.

Now, although I have started off from a somewhat negative place with my Bronco review, I actually love my Bronco... just not the way Ford delivered it. If it wasn't for this Forum, FORSCAN, and FDRS. I would have likely traded it in for a Jeep (or something else).

It has evolved from a vehicle that I had so much to dislike, to something, that even after 50k miles, I still love to drive.

A few things that I do love (and are as delivered by Ford). The 2.7 engine has been rock solid despite the fact that it was in the window for bad valves. It's a beast, especially in a 4416# vehicle. The transmission has been flawless, it doesn't hunt gears, it's reliable, and does a great job of being in the right gear most of the time (especially in sport mode).

The Bronco has taken me to some amazing places during these 50,000 miles. I have more miles than $ in my Bronco now (based on just MSRP).

I will detail all the details on the changes needed to make my Bronco meet my expectations.

And yes, I would do it again (and probably will, because I have a WildTrak on order).
You title it

IMG_20221126_093152.jpg

You title it that it sucks, but have another one on order. This is why I don't pay attention to half of the posts these sites. To much emotion and not enough objectivity. I understand your response
What an ignorant comment. Absolutely nothing he did to get his Bronco the way he wanted it would have been fixed with the Sasquatch package.

OP, agree with all your takes. The B&O is crap, my MIC is garbage, and spending time to get them right is a shame.
sell it and buy a something else!

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Now there is one thing that I did mess up on my order and is really my ONLY regret on my order. I forget to get the aux switches. In retrospect, that was stupid. I own that one... that was the one thing that I would change on my order. Retrofitting the aux switches is also not very modular in nature... it is easier to install the HOSS 3.0 steering rack than the auxiliary switches after delivery!
It’s actually pretty easy to retrofit the auxiliary switches after delivery, but it is pricey compared to just adding the option on the original order. Just need to purchase the Aux Switch pod, a new overhead harness, and a new under hood fuse box, and remove and replace some interior trim panels. Basic hand tools, no heavy lifting, and minimal programming required.

Ford OEM Bronco Upfitter Switches Install Video

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Wow, that is interesting. Lots of your life wasted commuting!

Road trips are a great use for the Bronco. But a Tesla would be the ideal high miles commuter.
Not a waste, if you get to see the people you want... Commuting ends in 35 weeks when I retire from the military. Plus, commuting gives me a chance to catch up uninterrupted with livestreams and Bronco content. :) I don't waste a minute.

A Tesla would need recharging at a level 3 charger to be practical. My house and my apartment could do level 2 at best... and I imagine that the apartment complex wouldn't appreciate me stringing a 150 feet of 220 line to a Tesla. If it was 25-50 miles less, and yes, I might have considered something like an EV. It's just on the edge of impractical.

To add a little more context, the Bronco is the last new vehicle I intend to purchase in my life. It's my retirement toy, but it is getting well broken in already. I am not going to feel bad taking a 100k mile Bronco off-roading... even if it's only 2 years old!

Sponsored
OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm probably going to do a 1 year review as well but I might not even have 10k on it. Around 9 weeks left and 2k to get there.

I don't really have anything to complain about though, stuff like the stereo, MIC top, and double honk haven't been issues for me.

I'd like to see 50k in a year on the F355 and a report on that.
You might get that after I retire... I have a bunch of work to do in order to get the F355 back on the road. I will be able to work on it regularly as a retirement plan for keeping me off the streets. The Ferrari has around 30k on it now.

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Dood has more miles on his Bronco than maybe anyone out there. Gives an honest review with both good and bad. Fair enough. Agree or disagree if you actually own one and if you don’t, take the information and do what you will with it.

People’s Ford feelers always getting hurt. Quit being so GD sensitive.

Can you imagine if I said that the Bronco was the bestest vehicle ever devised?

It's the M1 Garand of the off-road. 😂 😂 😂 Nothing is better than the 2021 non-sasquatch OBX.

I have a lot of both good and bad about it. Like the lack of "oh shoot" handles in the traditional location (which has been resolved for $30). By the way, not available on any trim level... ;) The bottom line is that I would do it again, but with aux switches...

Now, I am headed out (more driving lol).

raptoid

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My '22 Black Diamond is my 4th Bronco in almost 40 years. As a long time Ford guy I usually buy a vehicle that I am going to hang on to for a long time and modify to my tastes. The biggest adjustment for me was going to my first 6 cylinder. Still getting used to the 2.7 but I have to say, this thing is quite snappy and responsive. I am experiencing a few of the electronic issues that have been showing up (haunted light switch, back up cam staying on) but I trust that these will be corrected in due time by Ford. I can deal with that. I'd have to say though, my biggest disappointment has to be the cheesy sound system coming from a vehicle in 2022. If I had an opportunity to drive a Bronco before purchase this would have been higher on my priorities. The sound out of my Bronco brings back memories of my old 66 Mustang and is not at all what I had expected out of a $45,000 car. Also disappointing is the satellite reception. It's choppy at best due to the poor reception. Driving while listening to a station can become very frustrating. But after 6 months I still find myself occasionally going into the garage at night to just stand and admire the look of this thing.

2022 BD.jpeg

Montducati

Raptor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-350, 2020 BMW M2
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
OP, granted I only have 300 miles and own a Braptor I can't identify with any of your issues and hopefully never will. I do wish I had the opportunity to at least test drive the Wildtrak I ordered; however, it arrived at the dealership the week after I switched and purchased the Braptor.
I can honestly say thus far the Braptor puts a smile on my face every time I drive it and the quality IMO is excellent. I've owned 3 Raptors in the past, all of which were great but I like the Braptor that much more. I've read a lot of complaints about the B&O stereo on this forum so I was already anticipating making upgrades once I took delivery. To my surprise I think the B&O system sounds relatively good and don't have the desire to make any changes at this time. I have a HK stereo in my M2 Comp which is an amazing OEM stereo and I still don't feel like the B&O is inadequate.
I have to give you props for the changes you made (tire/wheels), your Bronco is looking very cool!

TXAG96

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Bullitt, '01 Boxster, '87 TBird Turbo Coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How did I start with the wrong trim level? I wanted a cloth interior (that wasn't ugly) and I didn't need the front locker.

Tell me, what trim level comes with all 8 GOAT modes, is on 33's, has the advanced 4x4 transfer case, can be equipped with the lux package, has front fog lights, with a cloth interior?

Oh, that's right, none of them.

It was really either the OBX or the Badlands without Sasquatch. The Badlands lost out for 3 reasons. MGV or Leather only, cost, weight. I wanted to make the most of the power to weight ratio, I wanted to keep the cost under 50k, and if you have ever taken the top off in Texas during the summer, you would understand why black MGV wasn't very appealing.

Saying I got the wrong trim is like telling a Badlands owner that he should have gotten the WildTrak if he wanted a heavy duty steering rack for rock crawling, and then telling the WildTrak owner that he should have gotten the Badlands if he wanted more articulation with the sway bar disconnect.

The real problem was that none of the trim levels were exactly what I wanted. That's ok, this is one thing about the Bronco that truly shines, the modularity of it. I had to pick a starting point and all of them weren't really what I wanted.
you did well. I took the Badlands non SAS and didn't need the LUX stuff. Wish I could have had the cloth seats however. I made it out of the dealer for under MSRP $44K Good job on mileage. I'm just now over 10K miles.
Sponsored