First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I love this truck already. And my expectations were high.

Took it to Goodsprings, NV Saturday. Sharp rocks were no problem for load range C ridge grapplers at 35psi. Walked up short, gravel-y 20deg+ grades no problem in low-low crawl.

Several times copilot was worried we would hit an approach and the 2dr wheelbase simply bounced right up and over.

Spent $15 on amazon for 2 cam buckle straps (15ft - recommend 20ft if you want to do what I did) and $3 at home depot for eyebolts and had the rear cap off in 15min by myself. Key with the cam buckles is to feed webbing the right direction (see pic) and manage the feeding so they don't get worn out early.

Straps easily pull high enough to 8ft garage ceiling to walk my 6ft frame under the alignment pins without scraping my head. Reused corner protectors from old packaging to protect the top from rubbing and otherwise support it as if you were removing by hand with a partner (per factory instruction).

The roll cage is another matter- have to be very careful to not let the edges of the top cap flange (where it bolts to the body) not rub on the cage. Too late for me, have some polishing to do later. As you can guess, the front strap had to be weaved over the cage and raising the top was a progression of lifting and adjusting but overall I'm satisfied for ~$20.

Drove with top-OFF, doors-ON, windows-UP in 105-110deg Vegas heat, with AC maxed, and was comfortable for a solid hour before I started to 'glow' (and I'm prone to sweaty). Translation: I have it easy with 2dr cabin volume and hard top but AC is a total beast for me. 4dr soft top in real heat I can see why it might just be adequate but I can't imagine any variant, in any climate, being under-supplied.

Southern UT trip coming soon.

People still waiting, send me your questions and I will try to get back to you with good answers.

Ford Bronco 500 miles-in: Bronco Base + 33s 20210815_182641

Ford Bronco 500 miles-in: Bronco Base + 33s 20210815_175548

Ford Bronco 500 miles-in: Bronco Base + 33s 20210815_173240

Ford Bronco 500 miles-in: Bronco Base + 33s 20210814_181724

Ford Bronco 500 miles-in: Bronco Base + 33s 20210814_153720
Sponsored

Last edited:

climb2descend

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
That looks great! Good call on upgrading the base. What's your build? What kind of mpg are you getting so far?

OP
OP
Bronkers

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Those are Ridge Grapplers, not Trail Grapplers, right? Iā€™m eyeing the new Recon Grapplers myself. Build is looking good!
Whoops, yes, Freudian slip, thanks!

I was considering all 3 but was very keen to minimize road noise. I still hear the very faintest hum at highway cruising with the ridges and think the recons are probably a tad louder and the trails significantly louder.

carrellslake

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

33" ridge grapplers are what I'm considering too. Pros and cons?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bronkers

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That looks great! Good call on upgrading the base. What's your build? What kind of mpg are you getting so far?
Base (MT), mod bumper, switches, and floor liners

MPG only real gripe so far: I have a tough time keeping my foot out of it but have a feeling 16.5mpg average is more related to the 28lb wheels + 54lb tires (82lbs total for a 33"!)

Jelly81Raider

Base
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Base (MT), mod bumper, switches, and floor liners

MPG only real gripe so far: I have a tough time keeping my foot out of it but have a feeling 16.5mpg average is more related to the 28lb wheels + 54lb tires (82lbs total for a 33"!)
Also getting 16.5 MPG on my 4 door Base w/sas. 500 miles in. Normal mode and 2 WD the whole time. I havenā€™t been easy on the gas pedal though.

OP
OP
Bronkers

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
33" ridge grapplers are what I'm considering too. Pros and cons?
Pros: they are quiet, seem to be just the right amount of supple yet tough, and haven't lost grip on anything I've tried yet

Con: They are HEAVY for their size and load range

RSalami

Badlands
First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
RUB IT IN OUR FACE WHY DON'TCHA

ā¤

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I love this truck already. And my expectations were high.

Took it to Goodsprings, NV Saturday. Sharp rocks were no problem for load range C ridge grapplers at 35psi. Walked up short, gravel-y 20deg+ grades no problem in low-low crawl.

Several times copilot was worried we would hit an approach and the 2dr wheelbase simply bounced right up and over.

Spent $15 on amazon for 2 cam buckle straps (15ft - recommend 20ft if you want to do what I did) and $3 at home depot for eyebolts and had the rear cap off in 15min by myself. Key with the cam buckles is to feed webbing the right direction (see pic) and manage the feeding so they don't get worn out early.

Straps easily pull high enough to 8ft garage ceiling to walk my 6ft frame under the alignment pins without scraping my head. Reused corner protectors from old packaging to protect the top from rubbing and otherwise support it as if you were removing by hand with a partner (per factory instruction).

The roll cage is another matter- have to be very careful to not let the edges of the top cap flange (where it bolts to the body) not rub on the cage. Too late for me, have some polishing to do later. As you can guess, the front strap had to be weaved over the cage and raising the top was a progression of lifting and adjusting but overall I'm satisfied for ~$20.

Drove with top-OFF, doors-ON, windows-UP in 105-110deg Vegas heat, with AC maxed, and was comfortable for a solid hour before I started to 'glow' (and I'm prone to sweaty). Translation: I have it easy with 2dr cabin volume and hard top but AC is a total beast for me. 4dr soft top in real heat I can see why it might just be adequate but I can't imagine any variant, in any climate, being under-supplied.

Southern UT trip coming soon.

People still waiting, send me your questions and I will try to get back to you with good answers.

Very nice. Doing something similar, but with Falken ATw3s. Love the camp-strap solution. Beats the old legacy pulley solution. Great for most garages without much headroom.
Sponsored