Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KIA Sorrento
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't believe its related to lane keeping or ACC- I'm not positive, but its possible its on any/every trim. Seems to pop up when there are zero steering inputs for a few seconds
Have you tried turning off the Lane Keeping Assist? I have mine turned off because I just don't like it and I never get that warning.
Sponsored

blogue

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • B&O Stereo- I'm not an Audiophile, so I had the Audiophile friends tune it. Sounds great and even they were happy(though not blown away) with the sound. Too much base and there are some rattles from the cargo area
Great feedback. Would you possibly be able to take a picture of the tuning screen and share what your audiophile friends set everything to? Might save some of us some novices the time to get everything dialed in. Thanks in advance!!!

OP
OP
JTK37

JTK37

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Have you tried turning off the Lane Keeping Assist? I have mine turned off because I just don't like it and I never get that warning.
I turn it off on secondary roads. It’s overly intrusive when you need to cross the center line to move around a delivery truck or bicyclist. On the highway I’d say I’ve had it on almost 100% of the time. I need to try it off on the highway and see if the warning goes away.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I took delivery of my A51 Wildtrak on 7/28/2021- Lux, Tow, Side Steps, Floor Liners. In just over 4 months I've put on 5708mi(as of this morning-12/1). Coming from a tuned 2016 VW Golf R and never having owned a "truck" this is a completely different animal. Some of my views/opinions are referenced against the VW, while others are more general. I'll start with the Pros and Cons and wrap it up with a conclusion

Cons- Lets get the negative out of the way first
  • MIC Top leak- Aside from some delivery damage my MIC top is cosmetically great. No honeycomb, delaminating, bad edges etc. BUT in heavy rain it has leaked. Same as documented by others- the drain trough gets overwhelmed and water drips from the A-Pillar and over the front doors. Its rare but has happened multiple times
  • Transmission Control Module- After using 4A in a heavy rain storm the next start resulted in a "Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power" warning. Drive modes(2H, 4H etc) weren't functioning and GOAT modes were unavailable. I could not select 2H(I drive almost exclusively in 2H) and the truck was stuck in 4H. Dealer service diagnosed a faulty Transmission Control Module. Truck sat at the dealer for 5days while waiting for the part to come in, install was quick once received. Offroad it would have been drivable, but locked in 4H with my daily mileage and tight maneuvers required it wasn't going anywhere.
  • Lack of rain sensing wipers- I miss this from the VW. It was nice not having to play with the intermittent speeds or be locked into a preset selection.
  • Hard interior plastics- ALL of the touch points are fine, feel good, padded and have been durable. Its the non-touch points, the trim on the dash, door cards etc that have a hard cheap feel to them
  • Sirius Reception- Its awful, compared to any other car I've driven it loses signal much more frequently. Drive through a shadow or sneeze and you lose signal. I understand there is a bulletin about this stating its being looked into.
  • Tail Gate Noises- Started as the creak/squeak(not awful), possibly from the spare tire grommets. Haven't been able to diagnose it fully or find a solution. However now that its gotten colder the tail gate and hatch make an obnoxious and loud squeak until the outside temp hits about 45*. Any bumps that upset the rear end cause the squeaking. Make it sound like an old well worn vehicle, not a new car.
  • Rear Suspension- 90% of the time its fine, rides better than I would have expected. On-road, square edged bumps(deep pot holes, speed bumps, some joints) put a shimmy in the rear that just lacks composure. Probably what I would expect from a "truck" but compared to the front end(se Pros) its unsettling
  • Goodyear Territory tires- Dry traction is good, I haven't done any hardcore off-roading to comment. Wet traction is lacking, specifically braking, not getting into ABS but enough slip in an emergency stopping scenario. These tires also throw EVERY stone, any gravel road or parking lot ends in stones being thrown as you're approaching road speeds. Magnified by bouncing off the step bars, but if I didn't have the steps the body work would be a mess. Consider mudflaps(oh wait there aren't any to go with the steps)
  • Overall Build Quality- I have some uneven panel gaps, hood misalignment and need to schedule my MIC 2.0 replacement, could have been better
  • Automatic Climate Control- Constantly seems to be hunting, whether you're heating or cooling it shoots past the target and then reverses course so its always blowing.
  • Heated Steering Wheel- Nice to have but needs to be warmer(FORScan fix?)
  • Sync4(see also Pros)- Audio and Prompt volumes, frequently volume adjustments get "stuck" changing prompts and require a restart
  • Making New Friends(see also Pros)- Good luck stopping for gas, going to Home Depot, visiting pretty much any parking lot without meeting a lot of new people who have questions, take pictures. The number of people I've chatted with while stuck in bumper to bumper traffic is comical. Its actually pretty cool unless you're in a rush
  • Gas Mileage(see also Pros)- It is what it is, Fuelly currently has me averaging 16.9mpg which is pretty much a perfect match for the EPA estimated 17mpg
  • Keep Your Hands on the Wheel- This warning pops up all the time, so annoying
Pros
  • Power- The 2.7L is more than any normal situation would need. Will I tune it- hell yes. But the 2.3L is probably more than adequate
  • Tracking- On the highway this truck tracks straight as an arrow. So much so that it constantly thinks you're hands are off the wheel(because they don't have to do anything) and warns you to use your hands
  • Front Suspension- Pretty much unfazed by any road imperfection and light offroad obstacles. Maintains excellent composure
  • Overall Ride Quality- Significantly better than I expected from a truck, probably a credit to the front suspension which makes up for the rears shortcomings
  • FordPass App- Remote starting, status checks, dealer contact, super easy and in your pocket at all times
  • Sync4- Overall the 12" screen and function has been great. Clear, responsive, easily connects for wireless CarPlay
  • B&O Stereo- I'm not an Audiophile, so I had the Audiophile friends tune it. Sounds great and even they were happy(though not blown away) with the sound. Too much base and there are some rattles from the cargo area
  • Removeable Top- Front panels are a breeze, 2 minutes by yourself and its done. Center panel is easiest with 2 people but just takes a minute to remove. I usually just leave the panels in the house if I'm not making any stops. The storage bag is a pain.
  • Rear Seat Room- No complaints from average height passengers, plenty of room and comfortable
  • Headlights and Auto-highbeams- Headlights are excellent, bright clear and properly illuminate the road/terrain. The auto-highbeams are awesome, I use them a lot more now that I don't have to toggle the stalk repeatedly, in some instances they could turn off a hair sooner but it hasn't offended anyone yet
  • Cameras- The 360 view and front camera are very useful in some situations, makes a larger vehicle much less intimidating
  • Making New Friends- From connecting with fellow forum members and owners to the strangers asking questions everyone has been awesome. The amount of attention it commands is crazy
  • Gas Mileage- The fact that I'm actually matching the EPA estimate with the way I drive is a miracle, for 35s, brick aero and a heavy foot its pretty good.

Overall I'm thrilled. From a near 400hp AWD Hot Hatch to a lumbering giant it was a big change. I "saw" the Bronco when they did they dealer tour, but hopping into something so drastically different with no behind the wheel experience, and so many unknowns was crazy. But I don't have any regrets. In a straight line I still drive it the same way I did the VW, my highway cruising speeds usually start with an 8(which is kinda go with the flow around here), curves and back roads are a different story, braking earlier and going much slower- but thats to be expected. For what it is I think it handles great, probably has much higher limits than I would ever want to explore(except for braking- tires), maneuvers easily in parking lots and tight places.

I like to drive and have put decent mileage on it already- its been comfortable every step of the way for myself as well as my passengers. The seats, the interior and the ride all melt into the background and go unnoticed as the miles pass, thats the biggest plus, its just a companion along on the adventure with you. None of the cons are show stoppers, minor annoyances but nothing that detracts from all the positives of the experience.

I miss the VW, capable way beyond the performance of most and decently roomy. It just wasn't big enough for my needs anymore. Do I NEED a truck? No. Any crossover would do, they would all get me down the beaten paths I NEED to traverse to get to the trail head or the lake, but I don't think any of them would do it the same way. Now I look for destinations that I couldn't otherwise get to. Theres a connection with the Bronco, it just fits. Its not super polished nor is it meant to be, it can be rough, but it rarely is and never so much so that it becomes a deterrent.

If it never evolves- stays the way it is today, faults and quality issues never get addressed, would I do it again? Right now I would say yes. 5yrs from now might that change- yes. But for now its all and everything I need. It may just be the smiles and experience but its been one hell of a ride.

I've got Diode Dynamics SS3 ditch lights and fogs on order, probably a tune next year. Later I'll add some random pictures to the thread

Update: Random Bronco and Bronco related pictures added

867BD687-F416-4578-8DF2-8EC871820CAB.jpeg

17ED2665-897E-4EEB-A45F-98A06B990AEC.jpeg

78A5B87C-B09A-4BF8-9A18-3D8E34CB9458.jpeg

78F4DF57-4750-4DF4-9801-19FEA0F46CF0.jpeg

2153DFAC-C950-40A7-8B9A-1766474FD343.jpeg

98FB8465-B2A6-4454-9BFB-4FF1078FB4B3.jpeg

565A764F-1200-4902-A604-8E57BCAC3A1A.jpeg

A021D265-34F7-4DD6-9009-7B6E7A376A97.jpeg

3D88E0DA-9299-4578-BBDE-E7F389F99268.jpeg

CA036389-FE38-4B07-BD8B-241B65C28C1B.jpeg

3C36453B-28DB-41BE-AB67-132201043FF5.jpeg

FD2D429D-5571-4646-A78C-9E74DF12949C.jpeg
Beautiful truck, best of luck!

Sponsored

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I wanted the auto wipers but I wonder if they took that off so that it didn't accidentally wipe mud across the windshield at an inopportune moment?
It may have something to do with the chip shortage, not sure.

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't believe its related to lane keeping or ACC- I'm not positive, but its possible its on any/every trim. Seems to pop up when there are zero steering inputs for a few seconds
It must be the lane centering BS. I turned mine off immediately and have never seen that message in 4,800 miles.

BkCntryCrwlr

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

• Goodyear Territory tires- Dry traction is good, I haven't done any hardcore off-roading to comment. Wet traction is lacking, specifically braking, not getting into ABS but enough slip in an emergency stopping scenario. These tires also throw EVERY stone, any gravel road or parking lot ends in stones being thrown as you're approaching road speeds. Magnified by bouncing off the step bars, but if I didn't have the steps the body work would be a mess. Consider mudflaps(oh wait there aren't any to go with the steps
Thanks for the great review, I especially liked the tire comments. Since I had to change my order due to my color being dropped in '22 I talked myself into the Wildtrak! I drive a lot in all kinds of weather so these tires will go away and I'll probably put the General Grabber A/TX's on due to their overall performance. I don't like sliding around on wet or icy surfaces. Kinda leaves a pucker mark in the seat!

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I spent about 1100 miles with a Badlands with standard package (2.3, 7-speed) and I never got anything like that. I'm guessing it's tied to Co-pilot 360. :mad:

PS, great review and glad you're enjoying it!

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great review, thanks. I keep reading reviews which mention squeaks, which is a major concern for me. One of the reasons I'm willing to risk getting a new car is dealing with some of the squeaks in my 20 yr old Cherokee. Hope they are manageable. Glad to see that it is enjoyable to drive, which is also one of my motivations. Thanks again.
The only squeak I have in my Bronco annoyed me for a long time until I realized it was the front passenger sun visor. All I have to do is move it and the squeaking stops. The other squeaking is from the soft top when it's down and I'm driving in the woods. I have a silicone product that will make that noise stop.

Sponsored

StedeBonnett

Outer Banks
First Name
Geno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2020 Subaru Forester Touring
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OP, I really appreciate this post. I've never personally owned a truck. I've been around them my whole life (grandfather owned an early 70s Bronco). My work over the years has taken me to Moab and Baja and these experiences lit the fire for a Bronco.

My last three cars; currently driving a 2012 Mustang GT (tuned with suspension upgrades), JCW Clubman (tuned), Copper S (tuned).

Being a Granger October 1st reservation order holder my reality is a wait of at least 13 months for a 2 door. Your post makes me pause for a gut-check—am I doing the right thing?

I just drove a 2 DR Black Diamond with a 2.7 loved it. Now comes the temptation of upcoming scheduled test drives of a 2022 BMW M240i and an AMG CLA 45. Hopefully, your post keeps me clear-headed. My heart says keep strong for the Bronco. But there is some sweet candy out there that's tempting.

Firefight911

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door Wildtrak, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The only squeak I have in my Bronco annoyed me for a long time until I realized it was the front passenger sun visor. All I have to do is move it and the squeaking stops. The other squeaking is from the soft top when it's down and I'm driving in the woods. I have a silicone product that will make that noise stop.
I immediately envision Chevy Chase on a sled…..

OP
OP
JTK37

JTK37

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks for the great review, I especially liked the tire comments. Since I had to change my order due to my color being dropped in '22 I talked myself into the Wildtrak! I drive a lot in all kinds of weather so these tires will go away and I'll probably put the General Grabber A/TX's on due to their overall performance. I don't like sliding around on wet or icy surfaces. Kinda leaves a pucker mark in the seat!

I'm considering snow tires- I'm not worried about getting stuck in a snow bank or deep snow, I want the traction and security for the daily drive if/when roads are coated after plowing etc.

If I go that way I'll consider something in a narrower profile and unfortunately a smaller diameter. I've been looking at some of the Blizzak options and thinking about a gloss black steelie

WLDTRK

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I took delivery of my A51 Wildtrak on 7/28/2021- Lux, Tow, Side Steps, Floor Liners. In just over 4 months I've put on 5708mi(as of this morning-12/1). Coming from a tuned 2016 VW Golf R and never having owned a "truck" this is a completely different animal. Some of my views/opinions are referenced against the VW, while others are more general. I'll start with the Pros and Cons and wrap it up with a conclusion

Cons- Lets get the negative out of the way first
  • MIC Top leak- Aside from some delivery damage my MIC top is cosmetically great. No honeycomb, delaminating, bad edges etc. BUT in heavy rain it has leaked. Same as documented by others- the drain trough gets overwhelmed and water drips from the A-Pillar and over the front doors. Its rare but has happened multiple times
  • Transmission Control Module- After using 4A in a heavy rain storm the next start resulted in a "Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power" warning. Drive modes(2H, 4H etc) weren't functioning and GOAT modes were unavailable. I could not select 2H(I drive almost exclusively in 2H) and the truck was stuck in 4H. Dealer service diagnosed a faulty Transmission Control Module. Truck sat at the dealer for 5days while waiting for the part to come in, install was quick once received. Offroad it would have been drivable, but locked in 4H with my daily mileage and tight maneuvers required it wasn't going anywhere.
  • Lack of rain sensing wipers- I miss this from the VW. It was nice not having to play with the intermittent speeds or be locked into a preset selection.
  • Hard interior plastics- ALL of the touch points are fine, feel good, padded and have been durable. Its the non-touch points, the trim on the dash, door cards etc that have a hard cheap feel to them
  • Sirius Reception- Its awful, compared to any other car I've driven it loses signal much more frequently. Drive through a shadow or sneeze and you lose signal. I understand there is a bulletin about this stating its being looked into.
  • Tail Gate Noises- Started as the creak/squeak(not awful), possibly from the spare tire grommets. Haven't been able to diagnose it fully or find a solution. However now that its gotten colder the tail gate and hatch make an obnoxious and loud squeak until the outside temp hits about 45*. Any bumps that upset the rear end cause the squeaking. Make it sound like an old well worn vehicle, not a new car.
  • Rear Suspension- 90% of the time its fine, rides better than I would have expected. On-road, square edged bumps(deep pot holes, speed bumps, some joints) put a shimmy in the rear that just lacks composure. Probably what I would expect from a "truck" but compared to the front end(se Pros) its unsettling
  • Goodyear Territory tires- Dry traction is good, I haven't done any hardcore off-roading to comment. Wet traction is lacking, specifically braking, not getting into ABS but enough slip in an emergency stopping scenario. These tires also throw EVERY stone, any gravel road or parking lot ends in stones being thrown as you're approaching road speeds. Magnified by bouncing off the step bars, but if I didn't have the steps the body work would be a mess. Consider mudflaps(oh wait there aren't any to go with the steps)
  • Overall Build Quality- I have some uneven panel gaps, hood misalignment and need to schedule my MIC 2.0 replacement, could have been better
  • Automatic Climate Control- Constantly seems to be hunting, whether you're heating or cooling it shoots past the target and then reverses course so its always blowing.
  • Heated Steering Wheel- Nice to have but needs to be warmer(FORScan fix?)
  • Sync4(see also Pros)- Audio and Prompt volumes, frequently volume adjustments get "stuck" changing prompts and require a restart
  • Making New Friends(see also Pros)- Good luck stopping for gas, going to Home Depot, visiting pretty much any parking lot without meeting a lot of new people who have questions, take pictures. The number of people I've chatted with while stuck in bumper to bumper traffic is comical. Its actually pretty cool unless you're in a rush
  • Gas Mileage(see also Pros)- It is what it is, Fuelly currently has me averaging 16.9mpg which is pretty much a perfect match for the EPA estimated 17mpg
  • Keep Your Hands on the Wheel- This warning pops up all the time, so annoying
Pros
  • Power- The 2.7L is more than any normal situation would need. Will I tune it- hell yes. But the 2.3L is probably more than adequate
  • Tracking- On the highway this truck tracks straight as an arrow. So much so that it constantly thinks you're hands are off the wheel(because they don't have to do anything) and warns you to use your hands
  • Front Suspension- Pretty much unfazed by any road imperfection and light offroad obstacles. Maintains excellent composure
  • Overall Ride Quality- Significantly better than I expected from a truck, probably a credit to the front suspension which makes up for the rears shortcomings
  • FordPass App- Remote starting, status checks, dealer contact, super easy and in your pocket at all times
  • Sync4- Overall the 12" screen and function has been great. Clear, responsive, easily connects for wireless CarPlay
  • Removeable Top- Front panels are a breeze, 2 minutes by yourself and its done. Center panel is easiest with 2 people but just takes a minute to remove. I usually just leave the panels in the house if I'm not making any stops. The storage bag is a pain.
  • Rear Seat Room- No complaints from average height passengers, plenty of room and comfortable
  • Headlights and Auto-highbeams- Headlights are excellent, bright clear and properly illuminate the road/terrain. The auto-highbeams are awesome, I use them a lot more now that I don't have to toggle the stalk repeatedly, in some instances they could turn off a hair sooner but it hasn't offended anyone yet
  • Cameras- The 360 view and front camera are very useful in some situations, makes a larger vehicle much less intimidating
  • Making New Friends- From connecting with fellow forum members and owners to the strangers asking questions everyone has been awesome. The amount of attention it commands is crazy
  • Gas Mileage- The fact that I'm actually matching the EPA estimate with the way I drive is a miracle, for 35s, brick aero and a heavy foot its pretty good.

Overall I'm thrilled. From a near 400hp AWD Hot Hatch to a lumbering giant it was a big change. I "saw" the Bronco when they did they dealer tour, but hopping into something so drastically different with no behind the wheel experience, and so many unknowns was crazy. But I don't have any regrets. In a straight line I still drive it the same way I did the VW, my highway cruising speeds usually start with an 8(which is kinda go with the flow around here), curves and back roads are a different story, braking earlier and going much slower- but thats to be expected. For what it is I think it handles great, probably has much higher limits than I would ever want to explore(except for braking- tires), maneuvers easily in parking lots and tight places.

I like to drive and have put decent mileage on it already- its been comfortable every step of the way for myself as well as my passengers. The seats, the interior and the ride all melt into the background and go unnoticed as the miles pass, thats the biggest plus, its just a companion along on the adventure with you. None of the cons are show stoppers, minor annoyances but nothing that detracts from all the positives of the experience.

I miss the VW, capable way beyond the performance of most and decently roomy. It just wasn't big enough for my needs anymore. Do I NEED a truck? No. Any crossover would do, they would all get me down the beaten paths I NEED to traverse to get to the trail head or the lake, but I don't think any of them would do it the same way. Now I look for destinations that I couldn't otherwise get to. Theres a connection with the Bronco, it just fits. Its not super polished nor is it meant to be, it can be rough, but it rarely is and never so much so that it becomes a deterrent.

If it never evolves- stays the way it is today, faults and quality issues never get addressed, would I do it again? Right now I would say yes. 5yrs from now might that change- yes. But for now its all and everything I need. It may just be the smiles and experience but its been one hell of a ride.

I've got Diode Dynamics SS3 ditch lights and fogs on order, probably a tune next year. Later I'll add some random pictures to the thread

Update: Random Bronco and Bronco related pictures added

867BD687-F416-4578-8DF2-8EC871820CAB.jpeg

17ED2665-897E-4EEB-A45F-98A06B990AEC.jpeg

78A5B87C-B09A-4BF8-9A18-3D8E34CB9458.jpeg

78F4DF57-4750-4DF4-9801-19FEA0F46CF0.jpeg

2153DFAC-C950-40A7-8B9A-1766474FD343.jpeg

98FB8465-B2A6-4454-9BFB-4FF1078FB4B3.jpeg

565A764F-1200-4902-A604-8E57BCAC3A1A.jpeg

A021D265-34F7-4DD6-9009-7B6E7A376A97.jpeg

3D88E0DA-9299-4578-BBDE-E7F389F99268.jpeg

CA036389-FE38-4B07-BD8B-241B65C28C1B.jpeg

3C36453B-28DB-41BE-AB67-132201043FF5.jpeg

FD2D429D-5571-4646-A78C-9E74DF12949C.jpeg
Nice writeup! I have the exact same build except I added the modular front bumper/brush guard. Almost 1,000 miles in and my biggest complaint is that there isnt a solution for mudflaps with sas+steps... Well, that and the front dash accessory rail is nonexistent... but I already have a custom aluminum extrusion rail I'm making in the works :)
Sponsored