Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Eldorado, Harley, Triumph
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update: After I presented my gievance of a pattern of shady practices, Service Writer "Didnt notice" that the vehicle was well within warranty work parameters. All costs were covered.

Original post:
At my oil change appointment for 21k miles, I had both engine and cabin air filters changed, first time for both.
Then at the 27k oil change they tell me I need a new air filter. So 6k miles on this air filter...Sounds odd. Two weeks go by and my washer fluid pump doesnt work. Sounds like warranty work, right? Dropped it off, and get a text. It was a fuse. As an electrician, I understand theres a reason a fuse blows. It just doesnt get tired and want a weekend off.
But $100 charge for a fuse on a brand new vehicle?
Is this not what I paid for a warranty and extended warranty for?

Screenshot_20230215_105312.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did someone put cheap washer fluid in and it froze? if so, it's not a warranty problem. Otherwise, can't see what else would magically repair itself that blew the fuse in the first place????

ABorges

Base
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F100
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

At my oil change appointment for 21k miles, I had both engine and cabin air filters changed, first time for both.
Then at the 27k oil change they tell me I need a new air filter. So 6k miles on this air filter...Sounds odd. Two weeks go by and my washer fluid pump doesnt work. Sounds like warranty work, right? Dropped it off, and get a text. It was a fuse. As an electrician, I understand theres a reason a fuse blows. It just doesnt get tired and want a weekend off.

Ford Bronco 6k mile life for air filter & $100 for a fuse Screenshot_20230215_105312
I replaced my filters with K&N filters air and cabin, these will be the last filters you buy. really happy with them and run them in all my vehicles.

Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco 6k mile life for air filter & $100 for a fuse Screenshot_20230215_105312
The same fuse blew in mine.
I knew, just knew the washer pump had gone out.
For my own peace of mind I checked the fuses vs. the diagram and found the 10A fuse there blown.
Got another one and replaced it for pennies.
$100 is a complete and utter slap in the face.
IF I were the service tech or manager, I'd just throw a fuse in there, tell you what we found, and bid you good day.
What a joke.

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting how dealers "find" inexpensive ways to work around "expensive" problems you didn't know about. "See how we saved you all this money? And don't forget to answer the service questionaire."

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Too lazy to find the statement from Ford but several years ago they said a blown fuse was not warrantable unless it was due to a short, failed motor, module, accessory etc. Obviously if it blew the fuse was defective (highly unlikely) or something drew enough current to initiate internal separation of the conductor. In most cases like this we eat the fuse and charge Ford a negligible amount of labor to check for the cause of the failure even if one isn't found. This would usually amount to testing the computer system for codes, visually inspecting connectors and harness for issues and checking current draw with the motor operating.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Your dealer is fucking you. Standard replacement intervals are 20,000 miles for cabin air filter and 30,000 miles for engine air filter.

Motorcraft cabin air filters are $16 and $12 for the engine air filter.

Shit dealers will repeatedly perform band-aid work that doesn't address the root problem but isn't covered under warranty (they make more money) vs. the harder warranty work that actually fixes the issue.

I had an engine code that indicated a bad purge valve - vehicle was under warranty so I let the dealer fix it. The dealer said it was spark plugs, I refused, and when I showed up to pick up the car they had replaced the spark plugs at a cost of $170 (spark plugs aren't covered under warranty). I got them to take the labor off but still had to pay for the plugs. Lo and behold, about 10 miles later the light came back on. I ordered the purge valve and fixed it myself and it's been fine ever since, but some dealers will always pick the more profitable option even if it's not the right fix.

Just like how filters aren't covered under warranty and they can apply some flat filter replacement charge of like $80 even though changing out the air filter takes 45 seconds and the filter is only $12. They want to make every visit as profitable to them so they're going to tack on as much work as they can. If pressed, they'll probably claim some BS about your "harsh" desert environment or something.

Find a new dealer.

Sponsored

JakeC

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
michiganbroncos.club
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds like they’re trying very hard to **not** develop a relationship with you, the customer.

Last edited:

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I replaced my filters with K&N filters air and cabin, these will be the last filters you buy. really happy with them and run them in all my vehicles.
Bronco K&N filter is $60 + $22 for the cleaning kit. $82 will get you Motorcraft air filters for 200,000 miles. A K&N won't save you any money, so the value proposition has to be in the performance and...well...if you want to give your vehicle the best chance at a long life, don't use a K&N.

https://www.project200.com.au/dm-iso5011/

I've bought K&Ns for several vehicles in the past and gone through the use/wash/clean regiment. Now I don't waste my time and just use the superior OEM filters.

ABorges

Base
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F100
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Do you drive in a lot of dust?

I should probably check my filters. I didn't even know we had a cabin filter.
I don't they weren't too bad, but I figured I got a little over a year with the original filters so I replaced them. The cabin filter is really easy to change.

ABorges

Base
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F100
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Bronco K&N filter is $60 + $22 for the cleaning kit. $82 will get you Motorcraft air filters for 200,000 miles. A K&N won't save you any money, so the value proposition has to be in the performance and...well...if you want to give your vehicle the best chance at a long life, don't use a K&N.

https://www.project200.com.au/dm-iso5011/

I've bought K&Ns for several vehicles in the past and gone through the use/wash/clean regiment. Now I don't waste my time and just use the superior OEM filters.
I like the performance I get from them.
Sponsored