Sponsored

6th Gen Bronco to Succeed where the Hummer h3 Failed.

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I thought the hummer sold pretty well. I remember seeing them all over the place back then. I checked the actual sales figures and was surprised to see how low they were. In there best years, the h2 only sold 34k and the H3 only sold 54k.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Chief1301

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 1994 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought the hummer sold pretty well. I remember seeing them all over the place back then. I checked the actual sales figures and was surprised to see how low they were. In there best years, the h2 only sold 34k and the H3 only sold 54k.
Yeah, I looked up the sales numbers too, and was surprised with the low numbers. The H2 & H3 were pretty cool. Just didn't take off for some reason? Bad timing?, Gas prices?, Poor quality?

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yeah, I looked up the sales numbers too, and was surprised with the low numbers. The H2 & H3 were pretty cool. Just didn't take off for some reason? Bad timing?, Gas prices?, Poor quality?
I’d say price was the main factor. The H2s started in the 60’s and the H3 started in the 30’s which back then was pretty expensive for a vehicle in their segments.

OP
OP
Chief1301

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Even if it was capable it didn't look like it. Just looked bloated.
Maybe the big Hummer? But the H2's & H3's weren't big and bloated. The H3 was more the size of the new Broncos. But they just didn't sell very well. Of course the new Bronco is more like a Wrangler, with removable doors and roof. The Hummers didn't have that. But why didn't they sell very well?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Chief1301

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’d say price was the main factor. The H2s started in the 60’s and the H3 started in the 30’s which back then was pretty expensive for a vehicle in their segments.
Good point! I didn't look up the starting prices. Note to Ford. Don't over price the new Bronco, or it could end up like the Hummer h3. ?

Last edited:

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good point! I didn't look up the starting prices.
Yeah I remember liking the H2 a lot but thinking it was ridiculously overpriced. A co-worker had one, so I got to check it out. Although at the time I was driving a Wrangler that I got for less that $10k haha.

edit: It was sort of a status symbol at the time, although its heyday was short

Last edited:

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think it was mostly because Hummer had terrible PR. I remember talking to people back then who knew not much about vehicles, being very negative on any Hummer, due to a perception of them being gas guzzlers, anti-environmental, etc. Even though I think the H2 got about the same mileage as most other full size SUVs and the H3 got about the same mileage as other mid size SUVs. I recall people poo-pooing Hummers, then getting in their similar size suv or truck and not thinking they were about the same as far as mpgs. It's going to be very interesting to see how the new electric Hummer does. It seems sort of a contradiction to me; a sort of tough looking vehicle that supposedly is also environmental?
Seems like not a good combination to me but we'll see.

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
All Hummers were polarizing. People who loved them loved them, but almost everybody else hated them. They thought they were huge, ugly, and just generally ridiculous vehicles. The H3 expanded the number of people who could afford them and/or justify buying them, but they were still just another dumb, ugly Hummer to everyone else.

Doug sums it up pretty well. Keep in mind he owns (owned?) and loves the H1:

OP
OP
Chief1301

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All Hummers were polarizing. People who loved them loved them, but almost everybody else hated them. They thought they were huge, ugly, and just generally ridiculous vehicles. The H3 expanded the number of people who could afford them and/or justify buying them, but they were still just another dumb, ugly Hummer to everyone else.

Doug sums it up pretty well. Keep in mind he owns (owned?) and loves the H1:

Good stuff. Thanks

Sponsored

wordstew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H3 Hummer, Explorer Sport, BMW R1200C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My Hummer H3 Adventure package (the real off-road H3 Hummer package).. Performed like a champ. Just finished driving the Transamerica trail Boston to Vegas and back to include Imogene Pass. Most people have no idea about the H3 with Adventure package, it's very capable off road.

Adventure package has a beefier off-road suspension, more under carriage protection, bigger tires (33s), decent crawl ratio, beefier 4:1 transfer case, lockers and gets pretty good mileage and power with the i5 engine.

Most H3 owners don't even know how to identify the Adventure series...

People who actually know what the Adventure package offers seek them out because used ones provide a great value for off-roaders

Watch this comparison H3 Hummer Adventure to Rubicon....

Ford Bronco 6th Gen Bronco to Succeed where the Hummer h3 Failed. 1600595679177

Last edited:

evomind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All sorts of things
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My Hummer H3 Adventure package (the real off-road H3 Hummer package).. Performed like a champ. Just finished driving the Transamerica trail Boston to Vegas and back to include Imogene Pass. Most people have no idea about the H3 with Adventure package, it's very capable off road.

Adventure package has a beefier off-road suspension, more under carriage protection, bigger tires (33s), decent crawl ratio, beefier 4:1 transfer case, lockers and gets pretty good mileage and power with the i5 engine.

People who actually know what the Adventure package offers seek them out because used ones provide a great value for off-roaders

yep

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Dec 2007 shopping trip to Khol's in Flagstaff with the wife for maternity clothes - $250
  • Tank of gas - $40
  • Plowing over the 8 foot snow pile in the corner of the parking lot in my 67 Bronco without even going into 4wd - Free
  • Pulling the brand new H3 off the OTHER snow pile at the other end of the parking lot with my 40 year old Ford - Priceless

I DID have to go into 4wd to yank that H3 off the snow pile as he was teetering with not a wheel touching. Took 2 or 3 decent tugs with some momentum to get him unstuck. He was so mortified, did not even thank me - just hi-tailed it out of there once off the mound.

OP
OP
Chief1301

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd never heard of the h3 adventure / off-road package either, till now. I appreciate everyone's input on this thread.

wordstew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H3 Hummer, Explorer Sport, BMW R1200C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Dec 2007 shopping trip to Khol's in Flagstaff with the wife for maternity clothes - $250
  • Tank of gas - $40
  • Plowing over the 8 foot snow pile in the corner of the parking lot in my 67 Bronco without even going into 4wd - Free
  • Pulling the brand new H3 off the OTHER snow pile at the other end of the parking lot with my 40 year old Ford - Priceless

I DID have to go into 4wd to yank that H3 off the snow pile as he was teetering with not a wheel touching. Took 2 or 3 decent tugs with some momentum to get him unstuck. He was so mortified, did not even thank me - just hi-tailed it out of there once off the mound.
I bet ya it wasn't the Adventure series H3 Hummer. The vast majority of H3s are the mall crawler grocery getter versions, all bling no zing.....
Hey but at least he gave it a try
Sponsored

Last edited: