Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus , Ford f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a outer banks Sasquatch lux mic top 2.7
It has been great just 1 thing the top make a lot of noise like pops. So annoying every little hole on the road. Only time it stops is when I take the top off. I hope the new top will fix that if not I will have to say it’s a Lemon. You wait and pay so much for all you hear is pops no good ford. I only get 13.8 mpg on mine how do you get 20 plus?
Sponsored

Joey.calc

Black Diamond
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
When you state the non SAS BL road better on the road, are you referring to handling, or the smoothness of the ride? I have been told the SAS has the smoother road ride. I have not heard any first hand opinions concerning handling. I originally wanted non SAS BL two door, but my colleague who tested every model with and without SAS claimed SAS was smoother on daily roads. Thanks for your opinion.
Referring to handling. Sasquatch is albsolutely "smoother" meaning bumps and pot holes are less noticeable with the larger tires. BUT (and this is a big but), the handling is more "floppy" as I said in my other reply on here. It is harder to turn the steering wheel at speed, more body roll, the tread blocks on the tires squish a bit so the steering response is slower, and you can tell the vehicle is more reluctant to change direction. But certainly, on a bumpy bit of road, the sas will be smoother. The biggest difference between the KO2s and the sas Wranglers is the tread compound and tread pattern. The KO2s are better for on-road manners while still maintaining the great off-road ability. The Wranglers are mud-terrain and it shows; more suited to off-road driving. I'm sure if your colleague took the KO2s and Wranglers on a perfectly smooth bit of interstate or state highway the KO2s would perform better - or maybe he/she did and our experiences differ!

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Did the mileage improve after the break-in period? I have yet to crack 17. I wouldn't think sasquatch would knock off 4mpg.
I’ve been averaging 19.6 in my 4-door FE on 88 octane at 4250 ft over 1300 miles

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure what OP will post about mileage after break-in period, but if you are surprised that SAS knocks off 3-4 MPG then you should read into the physics of unsprung mass, rotational mass, tire weights, and rolling resistances. Sasquatch package will make the vehicle much less efficient with these things considered. It also makes the driving dynamics very floppy with body roll and "floating". Don't get me wrong, it is no wrangler with the awful steering, but after driving a Badlands (non-sasquatch) and Wiltrak (sasquatch of course), the difference was night and day - non-sasquatch was much better to drive on the road. Just judging by the way they felt during the drive, I would not be surprised if SAS is responsible for a lot of that loss of mileage. Of course, other specs (like hard top vs soft top) and total weight should also be considered.
The K02's and the Sasquatch MT's weigh about the same. Wheels weigh about the same. Unsprung mass is about the same (maybe more in Badlands due to sway-bar disconnect). Rotational mass is slightly more in Sasquatch due to 1.6" increased tire diameter. I think it boils down to the tire diameter along with rolling resistance and aerodynamics of tires.
You are the first person I have heard that thought there was a big difference in the road manners between non Sasquatch Badlands and Sasquatch.
Do you think it's the taller squishy tire sidewalls? Should I stick with my 33" MT's vs the Sasquatch for my Badlands?
Night and day difference, really?

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Referring to handling. Sasquatch is albsolutely "smoother" meaning bumps and pot holes are less noticeable with the larger tires. BUT (and this is a big but), the handling is more "floppy" as I said in my other reply on here. It is harder to turn the steering wheel at speed, more body roll, the tread blocks on the tires squish a bit so the steering response is slower, and you can tell the vehicle is more reluctant to change direction. But certainly, on a bumpy bit of road, the sas will be smoother. The biggest difference between the KO2s and the sas Wranglers is the tread compound and tread pattern. The KO2s are better for on-road manners while still maintaining the great off-road ability. The Wranglers are mud-terrain and it shows; more suited to off-road driving. I'm sure if your colleague took the KO2s and Wranglers on a perfectly smooth bit of interstate or state highway the KO2s would perform better - or maybe he/she did and our experiences differ!
the SAS tires are not mud terrains, the m/t stands for maximum traction. the tread on the goodyears is no more aggressive than the ko2's.

Ford is the only one marketing the sas tires as mudders, which is really stupid imo

Sponsored

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You all know the Europeans make fun of us because of our love of cupholders right?
I didn’t know there were adults that based their needs/wants on what other people think, let alone Europeans. Seems like that sort of person should be made fun of.

DeputyDawg

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 F-150, 19 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm at about 4,000 miles right now. Mine's a Badlands "non-Squatch" that I've put up on 315/70/17 Duratracs with a leveling kit. That gives me the 4.46 gear ratio, but 35s.

My overall average is 18.6 but that includes some long 12 hour days in 4L. Highway, well, my last mileage was 20.7 according to Fuelly. Essentially, if I do a lot of "in town" driving, I'll drop below 20, but if it's all highway, I'll be above 20.

Our house is on the side of a mountain and if I'm doing a lot of short trips, I wind up doing a lot of climbing back and forth - the climb kills the mileage.

Also, the Bronco has all the aerodynamics of a brick, so if there's any headwind at all, you will know it.
ChrisD
I’d love to see pics of your non-SAS Badlands with the 315s. Also, which level kit did you use? I’m looking to do the same with mine and it should be here in a few weeks!

Rahkmalla

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 K900
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

the SAS tires are not mud terrains, the m/t stands for maximum traction. the tread on the goodyears is no more aggressive than the ko2's.

Ford is the only one marketing the sas tires as mudders, which is really stupid imo
Didn't Goodyear stop using the term "mud tire" entirely? and didn't their wrangler territory M/Ts used to be sold as mud tires and are now sold as maximum traction. And isn't the only difference between their wrangler territories mt and the territory mt is a special deal ford cut with Goodyear so the name wrangler didn't appear anywhere on their bronco while the tire itself including the tread is identical?

Last edited:

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Didn't Goodyear stop using the term "mud tire" entirely? and didn't their wrangler territory M/Ts used to be sold as mud tires and are now sold as maximum traction. And isn't the only difference between their wrangler territories mt and the territory mt is a special deal ford cut with Goodyear so the name wrangler didn't appear anywhere on their bronco while the tire itself including the treat is identical?
yeah ford worked something up with goodyear so that they would not say wrangler on the tire lol. Thats definitely true.

Everything else, im not entirely sure about... goodyear isnt my favorite tire brand, so i dont really follow them. ive only ever ran them on my Rebel that came stock with them before is swapped them to my nitto's.

But regardless, the goodyear tire thats on the SAS is NOT a mud tire. This has been talked in length on this forum, heres a good thread about it: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/sasquatch-tires.8652/

This is just another example of ford being ford and advertising something that it's not. You're def gunna get people taking a SAS through mud holes thinking its super capable. It's an all terrain tire, the tread is nowhere near as aggressive as a mud tire, which is a good thing because mud tires suck at everything other than driving through mud. Theyre terrible on the street, snow, ice, and rain. It'd be crazy to think that Ford would sell a mass produced street vehicle with actual mud terrain tires on it.

wreckingball

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Cons
  • Wind noise from the MIC top over 65 MPH. Hopefully MIC 2.0 will help.
Thanks for the notes. Do you have the sound deadening headliner? Curious if it makes much/any difference.

Sponsored

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pros
  • Power and torque of the 2.7 is great!
  • On-road handling.
  • Off-road ability.
  • Large screen and technology.
  • Fuel economy has been surprising. At 7,000 miles, we are getting 20.6 mpg. This includes a little bit of towing and quite a bit of off-roading. Of course 20.6 mpg isn't great but it is better than we were expecting.
Cons
  • We camp/sleep in the back and the 3" step is very frustrating.
  • No heating/AC vents in the back.
  • No cup holders in the back.
I know I wont be the first to mention this but I thought some pictures might help. I think Justin McBride featured something like this in one of his videos (much nicer than mine)

I kept it simple for now, might upgrade later, I ripped 4 spare 2x4's I had down to 2 3/4" (I think) and then trimmed some spare plywood down to the profile. I cut and measured as I went, fairly casually. its not a perfect fit but I could pull the dimensions if you want. It leaves some space underneath for small/compact items and I think 4 ribs is enough to support you sitting/sleeping on it.
Ford Bronco 7,000 Miles and Loving Our Bronco 1633359975045

Below you can see that you can actually extend the platform past the door seal slightly. This leaves about a half inch or less gap to the door when closed.
Ford Bronco 7,000 Miles and Loving Our Bronco 1633360017913

With a sleeping pad over this, you dont even notice it.
Ford Bronco 7,000 Miles and Loving Our Bronco 1633360083578

This is about as simple as it gets, you could make a nice one with thicker wood and drawers, or a system that even covers the chairs. But with this simple one you can still fold the seats back up. I may never take it out unless its to build something better.

OP
OP
sledboy

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, RZR XP4 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did the mileage improve after the break-in period? I have yet to crack 17. I wouldn't think sasquatch would knock off 4mpg.
So we did not see much change in mpg after the break-in period. It's been pretty consistent since we have had it. But here is more info about how we drive our Bronco.

We mostly use our Bronco for road trips to get to off-road trails. For the most part, we drive between 65 and 75 MPH. One thing we do that definitely helps keep our mpg a little higher is to only drive 75 on the freeway where the speed limit is 80 MPH. The one time I drove 80 MPH for 250 miles, it dropped our mileage by 2 mpg.

Here is an example of our current mileage. Yesterday evening, we drove the last leg of our latest trip. I reset the "Trip 1" meter during our last fill-up. Then we drove 117 miles home averaging 65 to 75 MPH. I just checked and the Trip 1 mileage reads 23.3 mpg.

FYI, I have only checked the accuracy of the Bronco's computer once. But there was only 1/10 mpg difference between what the Bronco said and what we calculated at the pump.

OP
OP
sledboy

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, RZR XP4 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the notes. Do you have the sound deadening headliner? Curious if it makes much/any difference.
Good question! 😁 We ordered the headliner but it did not come with it. Our dealer was getting that worked out when MIC 2.0 was announced. So we are just waiting for our new top hoping that it will improve the wind noise.

BandofEskimoBrothers

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We have had our Bronco for about 2.5 months and have put 7,000 miles on it. It has been phenominal, on and off the road! We took it on the Hog's Back Jeep trail yesterday. This was the most extreme trail that we have taken the Bronco on so far. Not crazy extreme but it keeps you on your toes for sure. It's tight between the trees and would have probably gotten some pen-striping had we not installed PPF.

Some things to note. Major pros and cons remain about the same as they did from the beginning.

Pros
  • Power and torque of the 2.7 is great!
  • On-road handling.
  • Off-road ability.
  • Large screen and technology.
  • Fuel economy has been surprising. At 7,000 miles, we are getting 20.6 mpg. This includes a little bit of towing and quite a bit of off-roading. Of course 20.6 mpg isn't great but it is better than we were expecting.
Cons
  • We camp/sleep in the back and the 3" step is very frustrating.
  • No heating/AC vents in the back.
  • No cup holders in the back.
Overall, we are loving it! As you can see, the cons are little things. There is nothing major that we don't like about the Bronco.

There have been no glitches or unexpected problems. One thing we did experience was a completely black screen one time after we started it. My wife Googled the problem and found out that it just needed to be re-booted by holding down the rodio power and the fast-forward scan buttons for about 5 seconds. Worked great!

Hopefully you all will be getting yours soon and begin your Bronco adventures

For the back AC vents, make sure you have the floor vents selected. Its not as good a vents in the center console, but it does get air back there (via under the driver and passenger sea).

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The fact that you've averaged 20.7mpg is fairly impressive. That's about 12% better than I'd expect.
My thought's exactly Zach. I will be quite happy with that mileage.

Brian, at 7K miles in 2.5 months I believe you, and family love that Bronco. "Keep on trucking" brother. I'm old, and you kids may not know where that saying originated. But, "keep it between the lines, and keep the sunny side up". :)
Sponsored