jaeggernaut

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M Coupe // Volvo P1800S // Caterham CSR 200
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford! dammit, don't you know the ppl who would order a manual are the same ppl who would order the 2.7L!?! ?‍♂
what a misstep! I'm hoping this is a mistake and can be rectified before production.... ?
Sponsored

Thundar

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RangeRover, Jk Rubi, Renegade, F-250 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree. I would have ordered 1st Ed but it said no stick on 1st Ed. I woils assume many badlanders will want to go with 37” and 2.3 is not going to be enough power.

Sponsored

eneq

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Performance currently sells an engine tune for the Ranger 2.3L. Has gains of 45 HP and 60 lb/ft of torque. I would be very surprised if they don't offer something similar for the Bronco.

D K

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Base
The only part that's 'fragile' is the the bottom of the cylinder where the liner connects to the block. The water jacket is pretty thin there, but correctly done, it is still able to produce a LOT of power.
The block issue was on the Mustangs only, I haven't heard of that issue on the RS.
It's quite possible also that Ford will address that and add some webbing on the block (or has done so already).

Unless there is some weirdness with towing or gear ratios, Iam ordering mine with the 2.3 and manual.

I know almost nothing about engines but correct me if im wrong but are these engines not notorious for being fragile? Wouldnt that blow the engine up?

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've got no problem with the 2.3 and the MT. It's all in the gears. Plus, I'm getting this for low speed work, not top end interstate travel.

difficulTT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW Alltrack, 2010 Ford F150, 2006 Mini JCW Checkmate
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have no doubt that the 2.3 is capable, and when you pair anything with a stick shift it automatically becomes more fun.

However, the disappointment comes when I imagine what the same $ in tuning would gain in the 2.7.

Not to mention the added benefit of the 2.7 being both port and direct injected vs the 2.3's direct injection only. Carbon buildup can only be slowed down, not fully prevented.

Worse is the fear that others have mentioned, where in a few years Ford will say that the take rate on the manual was so low that they had no choice but to eliminate it.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Disappointed, but it's not the end of the world

Just with the trans tq limit, kinda does make sense

Sponsored

dirtyscab

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford! dammit, don't you know the ppl who would order a manual are the same ppl who would order the 2.7L!?! ?‍♂
what a misstep! I'm hoping this is a mistake and can be rectified before production.... ?
Unless it's something stupid cheap like $1000 to upgrade to the 2.7L I'd never pay the price premium. The fun part of a stick is wringing out power from a "low" power engine, and saving a ton of cash when you buy the car/truck. Only thing that entices me about the 2.7L is that is has port injection.

So speak for yourself. 2.3L + manual is the only way I'd ever order a Bronco, unless an NA V6 was available for the same price or less.

Ichiban007

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Yea I'm disappointed the manual is not available in the 2.7! The 10 speed is intriguing but I'm old school and love to shift!

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1976 volvo 242
Your Bronco Model
Base
going with the 4 cylinder and manual, just hope it has more power than my old Ranger. It was 2wd with the 4 cylinder manual and the very most gutless ever. Terrible mpg also . It was a dual ignition engine.

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
And upwards of 34 people were disappointed

Lol. Nobody buys manuals anymore. I've driven manual all my life but autos are faster and more efficient than manuals now.

Manual customers have to be enthusiasts, but how many enthusiasts want the slow version?

My next car will be auto, maybe electric

Mountain Goat

Black Diamond
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 BMW 325i, '17 VW Alltrack, '20 Nissan Versa
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
And upwards of 34 people were disappointed

Lol. Nobody buys manuals anymore. I've driven manual all my life but autos are faster and more efficient than manuals now.

Manual customers have to be enthusiasts, but how many enthusiasts want the slow version?

My next car will be auto, maybe electric
I've never bought a new car that wasn't a manual. Used cars, I've had a few slush boxes but only to get me by long enough to get a car I actually want. The Bronco will be no different. I don't intend to change this pattern until I'm driving an electric car, in which case you could say it's a single speed gear so the question of auto vs. manual is irrelevant.

There was a poll on here and the take rate is projected as high as 50% for certain demographics, interestingly including gens X, Y, and Z. For cars with an enthusiast following, the manual transmission is going nowhere anytime soon.

I'll take your point that they are faster on some cars, and more efficient on paper, but my anecdotal experience suggests the EPA fuel economy test cycle is slanted against manual transmissions. And who cares if it is fast or economical if it's less fun to drive?

So, in closing, I expect at least 35 people are disappointed, maybe more!
Sponsored