Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Dont really agree with you. Rev matching may be used to help on wear and tear. I hope to get a manual Sasquatch.

Im not sure what you mean by clutch drag as a technique. Rev-match - save for a race car?

Ok I will concede and agree rev-match is a motorsport technique. But not all motorsport techniques are purely based for speed. They can also be used to help prevent wear-and-tear.

The heavy 35s, tall tires, and wheels are a big load on the drivetrain. Rev-matching can help lessen the shock. May not be that important when braking. But you better believe dropping a gear while going uphill while towing- it is very important.
Iā€™m curious to see if Ford offers any drivetrain improvements for the 2022 Mansquatch.
Sponsored

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So Iā€™m a little confused on this ā€œrev matchingā€. We are talking about like in a downshift to blip the throttle enough to get to the same RPM that the downshift will bring the engine to, that way when clutch is engaged and disengaged during downshift the engine remains at the same speed right?

Denny Swift

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
718 Spyder, 992 GTS, Citroen 2CV, Husky FE350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, it is strange that itā€™s not mentioned anywhere. If it does have rev matching I just hope there is a button to turn it off. I much prefer to do it myself.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I always rev match downshift And prefer to do it myself. Kind of the point of ā€œmanualā€. No need to heal toe unless on a track and my Bronco wonā€™t be on a track

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Yeah, it is strange that itā€™s not mentioned anywhere. If it does have rev matching I just hope there is a button to turn it off. I much prefer to do it myself.
My mustang gt(18) did not have rev match, but i did turn off hill start assist and replaced the clutch spring and perch with Steeda parts to improve the feel.

Sponsored

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Most people that drive manual donā€™t rev match. It isnā€™t something you learn unless youā€™ve gone to a race school. Or actively watch motor sports. Kinda like trail braking.

I have very, very rarely heard rev-matching during my autocross days. Even during HPDE, only about half did it. I can count onone hand the amount of times I have heard a pre rev-match car do it on the streets.
It's literally the only way I drive manuals. Rev-match everywhere with heel-toe downshifts. Everything from my old Isuzu Rodeo, to my Miata, to class eight trucks (where rev-matching is required at all times).

I prefer the old-fashioned way, but if Ford put the feature in I wouldn't get mad as long as it's defeat-able. But there has been absolutely no mention from Ford or anyone else that the manual is going to be anything other than that: manual.

Itchysquatch

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess I have no idea what you guys are talking about... Thanks, now I have to spend an hour diving in to a you tube hole. Only time I have rev matched (I think) is when I tore my left ACL and meniscus in a soccer game. I drove 30 mins home with out using the clutch.

Denny Swift

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
718 Spyder, 992 GTS, Citroen 2CV, Husky FE350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
wvmtneer,

I think the Mustang got it in 2019. Itā€™s perfectly fine if there is an off switch. On my Spyder, itā€™s default off, which I like. Iā€™ve never used it because I do it myself. I canā€™t turn it off on my Mini, which is real annoying. Itā€™s nice that you have a hill assist off switch. I canā€™t turn it off on my Porsche, but I wish I could.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Wouldnā€™t you love to rev match that thing going backwards up a 37 degree grade??
You have multiple reverse gears?

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Most people that drive manual donā€™t rev match. It isnā€™t something you learn unless youā€™ve gone to a race school. Or actively watch motor sports. Kinda like trail braking.

I have very, very rarely heard rev-matching during my autocross days. Even during HPDE, only about half did it. I can count onone hand the amount of times I have heard a pre rev-match car do it on the streets.
This is one experience only, but I was 20 years into driving stick (pretty much exclusively) before I even heard of it.

Sponsored

crowdpleazer

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Base
And how exactly do you figure that? Do you use traction control or turn it off every time? Power steering? Electric starter? Sounds pretty scummy to me. I thought we were driving here. I guess I misunderstood.

I actually really like the feature on my M3. If I want to rev match and not have the computer do it, I put in in Sport+ mode and itā€™s disabled. In fact, all I have to do is push my M2 button twice (second to confirm traction control is disabled). Simple as that.

How many people in his thread have actually driven or owned a vehicle that has this feature? Yeah, anyways. Carry on bench racers!
Power steering and electric starter aren't driver aids that make up for lack of skill. Traction control and rev matching computer are for people with driving that lacks skill or are too lazy to learn.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Saying someone is peak scum for using those kinds of features is just plain absurd which is why I responded with those absurd examples. It seems you draw the line at driver aids that compensate for skill. Others might be wanting a more "pure" experience without the need for "nanny systems" that take away from the driving experience that they want. That is fine for people to have preferences, but to call someone peak scum for using a driver assistance feature is ridiculous.

If you haven't driven a car with rev matching, I suggest you do. It is a nice feature that other users have posted liking as well. I don't know if the Bronco will have rev matching or not (my Focus RS didn't) but if it does, I hope it is easily disengaged for those who don't want it. Same goes for traction control, hill-assist or any other feature that isn't 3 pedals, a stick and wheel for those who want it that way.
More of this please everybody

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Frankly, I don't have strong opinions on software rev-matching, but REV HANG can ruin the driving experience for me. Every modern manual transmission car has it, to some degree (for emissions reasons), but it's particularly awful in certain vehicles (I test drove a 6MT Taco and the rev hang was so bad I turned around and went back to the dealer after a block).

Rev-matching smooths out downshifts, but rev hang forces you to choose between fast+jerky or slow+smooth upshifts.

Jchetty

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Tacoma, 00 Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So Iā€™m a little confused on this ā€œrev matchingā€. We are talking about like in a downshift to blip the throttle enough to get to the same RPM that the downshift will bring the engine to, that way when clutch is engaged and disengaged during downshift the engine remains at the same speed right?
Exactly. That is a great understanding. Now you can also rev-match downshift during braking. This is called heel-to-toe downshifting. So imagine you are cruising at 65mph in 5th gear and come to a corner that you have to slow down to 30 mph.

You brake and eventually push in the clutch because you wonā€™t be in 5th gear at 30 mph. So while your foot is on the brake, you use the same foot that is braking to blip the throttle (usually twice). This allows you to actually get on the throttle much earlier so you can rotate the car with throttle.

Doing so allows you to corner sharper as you generally want to complete all your braking in a straight line like motorcycle riding. Obviously there are times, techniques, or cars where you donā€™t necessarily want to complete all of your braking while in a straight line. But for general day-to-day driving, it is a good habit to get into. And this is the usually the first way your learn to brake in entry motorsports.

I always rev match downshift And prefer to do it myself. Kind of the point of ā€œmanualā€. No need to heal toe unless on a track and my Bronco wonā€™t be on a track
Not true. Heel-to-toe can be used for more than speed. Getting on the throttle earlier can help you modulate your angle of approach. Also on slippery surfaces, esp snow, getting off the brake earlier means less chance to lock them up. You canā€™t lock brakes if you arenā€™t using them.

Remember that. It is very important. If you get into the habit of heel-to-toe downshifting, you will naturally complete your braking earlier.

Also by being in gear, you can use the gas to help turn the car. If you are braking, eventually you will push in the clutch to get into a lower gear. Without heel-to-toe, you are basically braking while the car is in neutral.

Imagine being in an automatic. When you brake, anytime you hit the gas while in gear car there is response. Now imagine the same car moving and you brake while the car is neutral. If you hit the gas, the engines revs but there is no reponse.

Rev-match downshifting preserves response.
Sponsored