K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Exactly. That is a great understanding. Now you can also rev-match downshift during braking. This is called heel-to-toe downshifting. So imagine you are cruising at 65mph in 5th gear and come to a corner that you have to slow down to 30 mph.
Thank you for clarifying. I’ve always been taught to do this since a young age so just always “rev match” and assumed that was the only way to shift to be honest. I never put much thought into it and I’ve been driving manual for almost 20 years on and off. Now I need to go try shifting without doing that.lol I would assume without rev matching it would be jerky when shifting though.
Sponsored

Jchetty

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Tacoma, 00 Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you for clarifying. I’ve always been taught to do this since a young age so just always “rev match” and assumed that was the only way to shift to be honest. I never put much thought into it and I’ve been driving manual for almost 20 years on and off. Now I need to go try shifting without doing that.lol I would assume without rev matching it would be jerky when shifting though.
If you do it without rev-matching, just remember to let the clutch out slowly and you will be fine. That is why rev match downshifting is nice.

You can get off the clutch as fast as possible. Without rev-match downshifting, you have to slow down how fast you let your foot off of your clutch. This (rev-match downshifting) saves your clutch.

Last edited:

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Frankly, I don't have strong opinions on software rev-matching, but REV HANG can ruin the driving experience for me. Every modern manual transmission car has it, to some degree (for emissions reasons), but it's particularly awful in certain vehicles (I test drove a 6MT Taco and the rev hang was so bad I turned around and went back to the dealer after a block).

Rev-matching smooths out downshifts, but rev hang forces you to choose between fast+jerky or slow+smooth upshifts.
That sucks to hear about the Taco. Do both cycles use port injection or just one of them?

crowdpleazer

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you do it without rev-matching, just remember to let the clutch out slowly and you will be fine. That is why rev match downshifting is nice.

You can get off the clutch as fast as possible. Without rev-match downshifting, you have to slow down how fast you let your foot off of your clutch. This (rev-match downshifting) saves your clutch.
Please do not do it this way. This will wear the clutch out a lot faster than if you rev match.

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That sucks to hear about the Taco. Do both cycles use port injection or just one of them?
Since the Atkinson cycle mode for that engine is just a cam profile that leaves the intake valves open during the first part of the compression stroke, the port injectors are probably disabled under low-load conditions (or else the engine would blow fuel back into the intake manifold on every compression stroke). The Taco's engine+gearing makes it such a dog, it's probably rarely in Atkinson mode anyway (you have to flog it to get anywhere). There is nothing about the engine's ability to run in Atkinson mode that precludes Toyota from tuning it to be responsive; Mazda uses the same tech and their cars are 'Zoom-zoom'.

The Taco is just a hot mess of poor powertrain design/tuning decisions; it was hard to isolate the annoyance of the rev hang over the lazy throttle programming, mushy clutch delay valve, floppy shifter, etc. As bad as the 6MT Taco is, the 6AT is MUCH MUCH worse in terms of responsiveness.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Since the Atkinson cycle mode for that engine is just a cam profile that leaves the intake valves open during the first part of the compression stroke, the port injectors are probably disabled under low-load conditions (or else the engine would blow fuel back into the intake manifold on every compression stroke). The Taco's engine+gearing makes it such a dog, it's probably rarely in Atkinson mode anyway (you have to flog it to get anywhere). There is nothing about the engine's ability to run in Atkinson mode that precludes Toyota from tuning it to be responsive; Mazda uses the same tech and their cars are 'Zoom-zoom'.

The Taco is just a hot mess of poor powertrain design/tuning decisions; it was hard to isolate the annoyance of the rev hang over the lazy throttle programming, mushy clutch delay valve, floppy shifter, etc. As bad as the 6MT Taco is, the 6AT is MUCH MUCH worse in terms of responsiveness.
Our work uses mostly Tacos and we have a bunch of both second and third gens, all autos. We were blown away by how terribly the thirds ran compared to the seconds. It's like no one bothered to make sure that the engine and tranny functioned together.

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am in the opposite camp on this. My BMW M2 has this feature, and I would have sold it long ago if I wasn't able to find a way to disable it. I want my manual to be a manual, not a semi-manual.
Does he your m2 do the dumb burble shit also? My 340i does that and it sounds like my cart is dating every time I down shift

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Our work uses mostly Tacos and we have a bunch of both second and third gens, all autos. We were blown away by how terribly the thirds ran compared to the seconds. It's like no one bothered to make sure that the engine and tranny functioned together.
That's what lack of competition does to a vehicle; same reason the Wrangler STILL can't track in a straight line and dumps water into the cabin every time you open a front door after it's rained.

Hokie_98

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW M2, 2019 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I have an M2 6 speed manual also (as several other commenters are also lucky enough to drive them), and it rev matches. I love it. Not sure why there is hatred of it. To me it makes the driving experience that much better and one the finest manual cars I’ve ever driven. It would be great if the Bronco also has it, although the sound won’t be nearly as nice as the M2. I’m probably guilty of inadvertently waking up my neighbors in the morning as the exhaust note on the 2017 with the N55 engine lets out quite the growl and burble!

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ah, la baguette!

keepergale

First Name
Gale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda VFR,RV,Mazda Miata,Jeep Renegade.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I learned to rev match riding motorcycles. Now my motorcycle has a slipper clutch which kind of makes my “talent” unnecessarily but it is unobtrusive unless I mess up.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I learned to rev match riding motorcycles. Now my motorcycle has a slipper clutch which kind of makes my “talent” unnecessarily but it is unobtrusive unless I mess up.
I absolutely loved the slipper clutch on my Gixxer. It was the bomb on the racetrack. Hard on the gas, hard on the brakes, pull the clutch in, drop 4 gears, then simply drop the clutch again and enjoy the rear-wheel braking while the slipper wound itself up. Great feeling with the predictable rear-wheel drift and no drivetrain chatter.

toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks like the Ford Performance 2.3L tune add rev matching. Does anyone know if this is possible via Forscan?

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks like the Ford Performance 2.3L tune add rev matching. Does anyone know if this is possible via Forscan?
I would love to know if rev match can be enabled with forscan.
Sponsored