Reimund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rav-4, 2005 F-150 Lariat, 2005 PT GT Conv
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I had two automatic transmission failures: Both in a Ford (Aerostar). Complete dumpster fire that beast was. I got the second tranny under warranty from the first replacement; small consolation. Sold it right after.

I put 300,000km on my ‘89 Jetta (5 spd manual). Never had an issue with her transmission; and she shifted beautifully right to the end.
Sponsored

ReimundKrohn

Big Bend
First Name
Reimund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rav-4, 2005 F-150 Lariat, 2005 PT GT Conv
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Autos are the worst, period.
agreed! And (totally off topic) that is a REAL Maverick! Very Nice!

I don’t understand why Ford felt the need to add insult to injury and name their new Ridgeline clone after their 70’s performance compact, when it outsold the Mustang in it’s first year of production.

What engine do you have in her?

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
agreed! And (totally off topic) that is a REAL Maverick! Very Nice!

I don’t understand why Ford felt the need to add insult to injury and name their new Ridgeline clone after their 70’s performance compact, when it outsold the Mustang in it’s first year of production.

What engine do you have in her?
What engine I had in it? I sold it in 2015 (and weep everytime i start another engine) to pay for my return to Maui. Met the non metallic love of my life here so it was worth it.

But I put together a 86 Roller block 5.0, Ohio George Montgomery's shop did the shortblock with a X-303 cam, .030 speed pro forged pistons. I put on the AFR 185 heads, Air gap intake, MSD box, and 650 Mighty Demon. It had 10.5:1 compression and I set the rev limiter at 7500 rpm. I loved that thing. It wasnt a show car and I was more than happy to drive it in the snow even though it didnt even have heater! But nothing made me feel better than driving that beast on my hometown country roads.

Ford Bronco 7 speed Manual Transmission more reliable long term 100_0159.JPG
Ford Bronco 7 speed Manual Transmission more reliable long term 100_0160.JPG
Ford Bronco 7 speed Manual Transmission more reliable long term 100_0165.JPG

By the way those are pro comp rock crusher wheels I hope to get the same ones for my Bronco one day. They sure did handle some tough landings with me.

GoHack

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My hypothesis is automatics break more often than standard transmissions. That was the case after the muscle car era when we were driving them 10-15 years old. It was the case with the early Japanese era (Datsun 210s, etc). It was the case in the late 80s-90s American cars. It was the case in the 90s-2000s for several quality American, Japanese, Korean and German cars. So that's why I ordered the 7 Speed manual for my Bronco.

All the chatter is about how the new Bronco automatic is the less strong 60 version. Then someone said "yeah, but the 7 speed is rated for even less torque..." So? I don't think there is much to break in a standard. Yes, you may wear out a clutch or two over a 300,000 mile lifetime, but that's cheap and normal wear. Plus, I drive a stick very smoothly and many of my standard drive transmissions have lasted well over 200,000 miles (on original clutches). Come to think of it, I have a 53 year old Honda motorcycle and a 43 year old one, both still shifting fine....manually.

What do you think about the reliability long term for the Bronco with a stick?

One of the "BIGGEST" problems w/automatics now-a-days are w/the electronics which run them.
When they fail, so goes the entire transmission.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Autos are the worst, period.
No, CVT’s are. To quote an elegant line from this article, "I think I speak for most people when I say that I’d rather sniff pollen off an old man’s asscrack than drive a CVT”

Why was I able to find that quote? Sister needs a new car and searched up Crosstrek there.

But inanity aside, I just hate though how automatics are geared to shift for higher fuel economy, and leave you in the lug zone. I hardly use 6th gear on my girl, I wanna be able to sprint when needed, not drop a gear to disappear

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
my experience is manuals fail more often then autos…just rebuilt the 5 speed in my model A lots of “knife edge” teeth. The mustang gt I traded for bronco had failing synchronizers and clutch at under 20k, my ‘89 chev pickup 5 speed trans bearing failure first year of ownership (left me along the road). Only auto that failed , except for the c4 in my cj2a that went underwater, on me was a broken reverse band on the fmx behind a 428 in my ‘56 pickup….of course I have only had 3 modern autos…but they never gave me any trouble…we will see in on the bronco…
Sponsored