First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
A clutch can usually be replaced by a backyard/shade tree mechanic in considerably less time, or for considerably less money, than an auto trans rebuild.
Absolutely, there are way too many factors. Your clutch could also last over 200k, but an auto trans can also last for 400k+. Or you lose your auto trans one mile past the warranty, etc. it’s all averages, I’d say personally it’s not worth worrying one way or another. Unless you’re driving crazy miles you won’t have a car payment either way by the time stuff starts going wrong most likely.
Sponsored

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

for me, i do not like how autos shift when off an acceleration. give it gas and let off and it hangs, or shifts and hangs, or shifts and doesn't do anything, or doesn't shift and the revs drop normally. it's unpredictable. thats why i'm going manual. regarding reliability, i feel when the auto trans starts doing weird things, i don't know feel confident in the car.

OP
OP

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I remember towing horse trailers with several friends, thousand of lbs behind each truck. My friends RAM started acting funny and when we got to the parking lot at the trail head in the Gila National Forest, it was barely moving. He lost his automatic and had to have it sit waiting broken down on our multi-day horse trip.

My sister got some kind of Acura SUV. At about 70,000 miles it's transmission went out. They finagled getting Honda to put a new one in, and kept it. About 3 years later THAT one went out!

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The last 6 vehicles I’ve owned all had auto transmissions, zero failures. 102k, 127k, 172k, 143k, 134k, and 140k. All of them pulled boats between 5-9k. 2 of them pulled bobcats, tractors and sod/landscape rock up to 14k.

Sponsored

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Most people will get the transmission they want not thinking about lifespan. And that is what you should do.
One pedal , trail turn assist. With the auto.
Roll starting with the manual.
If you want to drive you bronco for 50 years and 500,000 miles at some point the auto will need to be rebuilt and less often the manual will. But abuse will damage any transmission. And most likely I will not be here in 50 years to find out.
Agreed. I was just adding some random thoughts to the discussion. I think you were too and maybe not addressing me directly?

Anyways, I did not factor lifespan into my decision. I never really even considered the manual. I wanted the 2.7l engine.

I've already be assigned a VIN, so I'm locked in either way.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Agreed. I was just adding some random thoughts to the discussion. I think you were too and maybe not addressing me directly?

Anyways, I did not factor lifespan into my decision. I never really even considered the manual. I wanted the 2.7l engine.

I've already be assigned a VIN, so I'm locked in either way.
Sorry I was just talking in general, not to you.

And to add one thing. I would get the manual but my wife wants the auto so and auto transmission is what we will get.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sorry I was just talking in general, not to you.

And to add one thing. I would get the manual but my wife wants the auto so and auto transmission is what we will get.
Sorry about having to live in a shiftless marriage:ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My F250 by FORD is on its third auto transmission…….but then it’s the 7.3l PowerStroke which I can imagine can be hard on tranny.

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I bought a 1994 Bronco brand new. 302 v8 and an auto trans. The transmission failed at 20,000 miles and Ford refused any warranty help whatsoever. (back then vehicles only came with 12 month/12,000 mile warranties)

No f-ing way am I buying another automatic transmission from Ford.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My F250 by FORD is on its third auto transmission…….but then it’s the 7.3l PowerStroke which I can imagine can be hard on tranny.
I bought a 1994 Bronco brand new. 302 v8 and an auto trans. The transmission failed at 20,000 miles and Ford refused any warranty help whatsoever. (back then vehicles only came with 12 month/12,000 mile warranties)

No f-ing way am I buying another automatic transmission from Ford.
I hate autos as much as the next guy but it's not fair to judge the 10A based on these two examples. Ford made some crappy autos in the 90s.

Instead judge the 10A on being developed with GM. 🤮

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, you are completely wrong on the muscle cars (by definition a two door intermediate sized car with the largest (or strongest) corporate engine installed). Mustangs/Camaros were pony cars and not muscle cars. (pony, Mustang....sinking in yet?).
Most consider all v8 mustang, camaro, and challenger muscle cars today. The pony car is an old-fashioned concept and most people don't care about the arbitrary and endlessly disputed classic definitions anymore.

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most consider all v8 mustang, camaro, and challenger muscle cars today. The pony car is an old-fashioned concept and most people don't care about the arbitrary and endlessly disputed classic definitions anymore.
[citation needed]
Sponsored