CHARLIE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150 - E 350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm sure the manual guys love there trucks
I'm torn about a choice on manual or automatic , I live in a big metropolitan city with alot of traffic . My last car isuzu was a 5 speed but after 10 years of it the drama from light to light was gone now I drive a Altima. I tend to keep my vehicles 10 or 20 years.
Really what is the advantage of the manual off road and on road besides using 2 hands and 2 feet at all times ?
Sponsored

mikedege

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just drove both 2.3s. the manual is a complete dog. The auto was way easier to drive, and faster too. If I were buying a 4cyl. I'd go auto for sure. That's just me. I can't see people saying the manual is fast. I don't get it.... It's not. Any chance you can drive them? That way we you can make up your own mind like me?

Also, manual has crawler and auto has one pedal drive. I would dig one pedal for offroading!

Good luck
Mike

Last edited:

ABerrio

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you don’t want to shift gears get the auto. I drove the MT at the rodeo in Austin and as far as rock crawling is concerned, the MT was fun to drive. In 4 low, I only used the clutch to start and stop. The 2.3 has a lot of torque. Never killed it once, and I actually rode the brake in Crawl 1st, and 2nd gear. No hopping or anything like that. Really it comes down to what do you enjoy more AT or MT? Auto has cool features the Manual doesn’t have (trail turn assist is awesome in the AT). But also, if you have the MT you’ll be thought of as a manly man or a cool chick!

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Auto is arguably better off road, nobody wants to be feathering a clutch halfway through a creek bed.

On the other hand, 98-99% of my driving will be driving to work and back. If I never have to drive another automatic it will be too soon. I wouldn't even be considering the Bronco if it was auto only.

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I'm sure the manual guys love there trucks
I'm torn about a choice on manual or automatic , I live in a big metropolitan city with alot of traffic . My last car isuzu was a 5 speed but after 10 years of it the drama from light to light was gone now I drive a Altima. I tend to keep my vehicles 10 or 20 years.
Really what is the advantage of the manual off road and on road besides using 2 hands and 2 feet at all times ?

The only reason to get a manual is just because you like manuals and always drive a stick. There is no other reason, in my opinion. An auto is better off road, and you already said why you prefer an auto for in town and traffic. It's a no brainer.

BTW, while the manual has a crawl gear of 6.58, the auto has a 1st gear of 4.71 plus it has the reduction of the torque converter. In a real world scenario the auto is lower geared in 1st than the manual. For the folks who just want a stick, it will work fine. But other than personal preference there is no reason to get a stick rather than an auto.

Here we go again........ 😁

Sponsored

Impatient

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bonus: Manual Transmission will almost always prevent it from being stolen by someone under 30 😂

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I got a buddy named Manuel. Good guy. I'll have to ask him about what his 7 speeds are.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

all my cars up to my current where manual and I zipped around Austrian and German backroads and mountain roads this summer in a manual rental, lots of fun. (on the Autobahn it doesn't really matter much as you'll just be in top gear most of the time).
But in traffic and for daily driving I very much prefer automatic, I don't like anywhere near windy country or mountain roads I'd have to take anywhere I need to go. I'd not even be looking if it only came as manual (or two door for that matter).
Drive both if you can. And of course your daily driving might be way different from mine, mostly on residential roads for me, rarely even see a freeway or something with more than a 40MpH speedlimit.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Biggest negative for the manual for me was no remote start. Well and not available on the 2.7L

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just to echo @goatman the only reason to get a manual is if you enjoy driving manuals.

The advantage to driving manual is you have (more or less) complete control over how the vehicle operates. However, because you have complete control, you lose out on a bunch of the modern automatic technology features... such as trail turn assist.

In my opinion, if you are on the fence... get an automatic. Those who should get a manual know they want a manual and are specifically seeking out a vehicle with a manual transmission.

I personally drive a manual, have always driven a manual, ordered a manual Bronco, and will continue to drive a manual as long as they are available. I was actually a few weeks away from buying my first non-Ford vehicle last year simply because Ford discontinued manual transmissions on all of their models except Mustang. May not sound like a big deal, but my father worked for Ford for most of his career, so there is a lot of loyalty (and a nice discount) for Ford in my family. But whenever anyone asks me for my advice in person, I almost always tell them to buy an automatic.

Broncomputer

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm probably going to get flamed for this but I just don't trust Ford automatics.

Anecdotally, my last Ford Focus had some major transmission issues and even the techs didn't know what the hell was wrong. I also had a Fiesta rental a few years ago and it had similar issues too.

Obviously there are many people that are happy with their Autos and technically Autos are (if they don't break) better in almost every way, faster shifting, better MPG, and have more features attached to them, especially in the Bronco.

But if I'm buying a gas car, then I'm getting a manual. It's just more fun and you just have to replace the clutch.

All new cars will be automatic in the next 10-15 years so this will probably be your last chance to get a manual from the factory.

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

But if I'm buying a gas car, then I'm getting a manual. It's just more fun and you just have to replace the clutch.
My Jeeps are autos (well, except the track car) and my Bronco will be auto. But, hey, my diesel is a manual! 😁

nick112288

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Was the Focus of the crappy dual clutch variety? I know that Fiat rental would have been.

Those are HORRIBLE automatics. My father in law is a Ford mechanic and he said they had stacks and stacks of clutches in the dealership to be put in customers cars as warranty repairs.

I believe there might be a lawsuit or 2 about them as well.
Sponsored