Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Since we're rationalizing, I will too. The reason I decided to reserve a bronco was 1) it's looks and fairly high off road potential. 2) It had a manual transmission.

Other people chose one for power, lux interiors, leather seats, heated steering wheel, ease of lifting and modifying it, going rock crawling, and so on. I just wanted decent power in a manual 4WD.

We had a stick in our 96 4runner and both loved driving it for 260,000 miles in our 30s. It was under powered, about half what the 2.3 Bronco has. So I'll be getting a stick with double the power we remember! Fine with me. If I later get to drive a raptor (whatever that is) or a v6 I'll probably comment "wow, it has more power", but then think "but I don't care - having a stick trumps having a little more power."
Sponsored

Last edited:

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't understand the point of putting a little white ball on the ground and hitting it with sticks until it goes into a hole - seems a lot easier to just put it in the hole to begin with. A stick shift is the same way, some people like it - others (who are wrong) don't understand the point.

bikearch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Todays auto trannies are the bomb and i choose the AT for my 2.3 as it is my daily and the fact that the AT has way too many pluses over the manuel.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Todays auto trannies are the bomb and i choose the AT for my 2.3 as it is my daily and the fact that the AT has way too many pluses over the manuel.
Do you mind listing some? Even a small percentage of "way too many" should be a healthy sample size. Right?

Sponsored

MOBroncoSTL

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 MX-5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My wife and I decided to go with a manual and I really did have a hard time deciding. We changed our order several times. In the end I was surprised how much we are enjoying our manual transmission. The one and only reason we got the manual transmission is the fun factor. It is my daily driver, our vacation car etc. Not one time has my wife or I wished we had gotten an automatic. I can not imagine living without a manual Bronco right now. Even a better optioned highest trim Bronco would not even be enticing compared to my manual base. I write this only because it was these kind of posts are what helped me decide on a manual. Again, if you like driving a manual, this one is super fun.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I LOVE manuals. I had the most difficult time parting with my pristine 97 Wrangler with 5 speed manual. It was so fun to drive. I end up selling it in part for the Bronco. I also have enjoyed Civic SI's, Subaru WRX's and my current 2006 Corvette with manual. But these vehicles are all light weight. But in a heavy truck a manual is not as much fun. Maybe in the 2 door base non Sasquatch with the 2.3, small tires and it being a lighter model. The 4 door is pretty heavy and maybe the 2.3 does a fair job moving it. But I think it is a bit heavy for a manual and the 2.3. I opted for the 2.7 and auto in my 2 door Basesquatch. I might have gone with the manual but the choice was not there. It is still pretty heavy but less weight than a 4 door. And it moves good with the 2.7 and auto- 0 complaints.

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The simple fact is the only reason to get a manual is “I want it”. Modern autos are faster, get better mileage and offer better control. This is from a guy with a manual mustang GT and a manual Ford Model A. My Bronco will be an auto...ps. My bronco in the aviator was also an auto...

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

to each their own. I wanted the low granny/crawl gear and the overall lowest crawl ratio. Plus manuals tend to last longer compared to autos.

I have no issues with the 10spd just not what I wanted.

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My wife and I decided to go with a manual and I really did have a hard time deciding. We changed our order several times. In the end I was surprised how much we are enjoying our manual transmission. The one and only reason we got the manual transmission is the fun factor. It is my daily driver, our vacation car etc. Not one time has my wife or I wished we had gotten an automatic. I can not imagine living without a manual Bronco right now. Even a better optioned highest trim Bronco would not even be enticing compared to my manual base. I write this only because it was these kind of posts are what helped me decide on a manual. Again, if you like driving a manual, this one is super fun.
I drove 1000 miles to Daytona Fl from Jersey and another 1000 back. At no point did I say “Gee I wish I had a slushbox”, even getting stuck in South Carolina traffic coming back up

I cant wait for @Boomba Racing ’s short shift kit

Sponsored

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The simple fact is the only reason to get a manual is “I want it”. Modern autos are faster, get better mileage and offer better control. This is from a guy with a manual mustang GT and a manual Ford Model A. My Bronco will be an auto...ps. My bronco in the aviator was also an auto...
I had an automatic Mustang Ecoboost (long story, wasnt my choice), and after the thrill of modding wore off, it just wasnt fun, especially around traffic circles and turns

at least the Ram (work vehicle) was powerful and fast enough to hold the gear when I slid around turns from a stop

no clutch = no interest

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm sorry but I need to address both these points.

Faster, so what does that mean and how is it applicable? Sure stand on the throttle with a DCT and it will upshift super fast through the gears as the vehicle gains speed, and win a few tenths of a second to 60 or 120 MPH. A modern automatic with a hydraulic torque converter in a general truck or sedan does not shift faster than a properly shifted manual. Unless you are stoplight racing, who gives a shit about shift speed? If you are drag racing your Bronco at stoplights on suburban streets then you bought the wrong vehicle. On the dirt or mall crawling shift speed is irrelevant.

Related... Control? LFOL. No automatic matches the gear section control that a manual does, none. A manual transmission driver can find neutral in a few milliseconds by simply stepping on the clutch. In many emergency situations this is a critical item of control an automatic can't provide (and why we see so many Mustangs take curb samples leaving Cars & Coffees). And a manual transmission always shifts when the driver chooses, automatics don't, even in manual mode.

Efficient. In the EPA test regimine, sure, it logs a better number by maybe a full MPG. In the real world, just like turbo engines, there is no real beneficial gains.

Excuses such as these are made by drivers who just don't like to participate fully in the act of driving.
I understand you want what you want and nothing will change your mind which is fine but admitting an auto is faster and gets better mileage and then dismissing the facts with that is “ill-relevant“ ( try shifting that manual pulling a steep sand dune or mud hole without digging yourself a hole) and “not a real gain” is just saying “I don’t care” I want what I want. Which again it fine but the facts still stand. As for control, the Bronco has a 10 speed auto and a 7 speed manual so the manual falls behind on gear ratio selection (Which means very little when the “torque multiplication” of the auto is added in giving nearly infinite ratios) plus the “crawl ratio“ of the auto (with torque multiplication) is almost double the manual’s. Your example of “finding neutral“ being “critical“ for control is confusing because “neutral” offers no control (will roll wherever). It is also nearly impossible to load (brake toque) a manual against an obstacle for precise wheel torque. Also the “slip” of the torque converter action is easier on the drivetrain (breaking fewer parts). I could go on and on but the fact that almost no winning off-racers run automatics is very telling. I hope you enjoy your manual and clutch but it clearly is only a rational decision from a mental health perspective. Which again is very important...
Sponsored