First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I really really wanted the manual. But in the end Ford severely limited the other options you could get with it so I went with the box-o-boring rather than the preferred row-it-yourself.
Sponsored

Last edited:

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It is funny how triggered people get about this choice, get whatever fits your style or habits .
The manual usually outlats the auto fact!

TNBronc4344

Badlands
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I honestly think if you’re asking this question, you should be buying the auto. There is no logical reason to buy the manual (or Manuel). You buy it if you love driving and can’t fathom the thought of buying an auto when a stick is available. I’ve talked to people who said they switched to auto to get the V6. More power to them. If the auto could be had with a coyote and the stick only came with a 200hp 4 cylinder, I’d still get the stick. But I am buying purely as a fun vehicle. That also has to factor in. If I had to use the Bronco as my daily driver and had a nasty commute in stop and go traffic, I’d still get the stick, but I’d get luxe for the adaptive cruise.

Edit: To sum up, there are weirdos out there who just irrationally love driving a stick. The auto is a better option for most people (which is why sticks are dying).
Great answer. I agree 100%

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just drove both 2.3s. the manual is a complete dog. The auto was way easier to drive, and faster too.
After taking a test drive in a 2.3 manual, I was thinking the automatic was probably a better match for that engine. Stepping on the gas at lower engine speeds, it was nothing, nothing, nothing, then a bunch of something in the power department. Quite a different feel from my 1.6 turbo Escape, which you can't tell is a turbo motor. I expect the automatic to just feel better with the 2.3.

And I like manual transmissions. I love having one in my V6 Mustang. I didn't have the choice when ordering a 2021 Base Sasquatch, but I plan to stick with the automatic when I resubmit my order the next time around. Plus my wife claims to have "forgotten" how to drive a stick shift, even though that's all we had for years, so she'll be more likely to enjoy driving the Bronco with the auto in it.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I drove a Badlands with manual. I found the power to be decent. Shifting was really good...one of the better modern manual transmissions I've driven in some time. Clutch engagement was spot on.

Hey, drive what you want. Whatever makes you happy is the right vehicle for you.

Sponsored

mikedege

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
After taking a test drive in a 2.3 manual, I was thinking the automatic was probably a better match for that engine. Stepping on the gas at lower engine speeds, it was nothing, nothing, nothing, then a bunch of something in the power department. Quite a different feel from my 1.6 turbo Escape, which you can't tell is a turbo motor. I expect the automatic to just feel better with the 2.3.

And I like manual transmissions. I love having one in my V6 Mustang. I didn't have the choice when ordering a 2021 Base Sasquatch, but I plan to stick with the automatic when I resubmit my order the next time around. Plus my wife claims to have "forgotten" how to drive a stick shift, even though that's all we had for years, so she'll be more likely to enjoy driving the Bronco with the auto in it.
Agreed. Hard to believe it has 300hp. I was blown away how slow the manual was. So damn glad I was able to test drive it instead of buying the mt. Wheww......
I guess there's always the possibility you can get a tune and other mods to improve it. But stock, It's a tank.

Mike

Last edited:

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The only reason to get a manual is just because you like manuals and always drive a stick. There is no other reason, in my opinion. An auto is better off road, and you already said why you prefer an auto for in town and traffic. It's a no brainer.

BTW, while the manual has a crawl gear of 6.58, the auto has a 1st gear of 4.71 plus it has the reduction of the torque converter. In a real world scenario the auto is lower geared in 1st than the manual. For the folks who just want a stick, it will work fine. But other than personal preference there is no reason to get a stick rather than an auto.

Here we go again........ 😁
So what about the “crawl ratio” for a manual with the 4x4 advanced transfer case?

B11D4191-BCD1-468D-BCB1-829086359EB9.jpeg

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Agreed. Hard to believe it has 300hp. I was blown away how slow the manual was. So damn glad I was able to test drive it instead of buying the mt. Wheww......
I guess there's always the possibility you can get a tune and other mods to improve it. But stock, It's a tank.

Mike
I may need a decal I saw the other day. It said “I may be slow but I can go anywhere“. :ROFLMAO:

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So what about the “crawl ratio” for a manual with the 4x4 advanced transfer case?

Ford Bronco 7 speed Manuel  Vs 10 speed Auto. B11D4191-BCD1-468D-BCB1-829086359EB9
I started to post this pic
If you look you can run a bigger tire with the auto. Just like with the newer jeeps first gear is lower for daily driving.

As I have said before Crawl Ratio is only a gear swap away and will just set you up better for the taller tires being you have a closer 1st and a longer top gear 10th.

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I started to post this pic
If you look you can run a bigger tire with the auto. Just like with the newer jeeps first gear is lower for daily driving.

As I have said before Crawl Ratio is only a gear swap away and will just set you up better for the taller tires being you have a closer 1st and a longer top gear 10th.
What size would the tire need to be with the auto to obtain that “crawl ratio”?

Sponsored

nick112288

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Those that have driven the manual, how does it compare to the Wrangler manual?

The Jeep has significantly less torque so I'm curious how slow you guys feel it is.

ETA: I also would assume if these are dealers demos then the dealer probably cheaps out and puts in regular. I'm curious how much more peppy premium would feel? 30hp isn't insignificant

Last edited:

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I amazed at all the people that say they drive manual transmissions yet still say they are complicated to do so. Granted, I’ve been driving manual transmissions longer than many have been alive but it’s just second nature. I don’t monitor the tach to know when to shift, I frequently hold the steering wheel with my right hand, allowing my left hand to do…… I don’t know, hit that manual turn indicator. Do others really have to think about shifting?

I get it, if you would rather get an automatic, then do so. No one will hold it against you. But all these comments about how complicated or restrictive about which hand does what are clearly from those that either never drove a manual for more than a week or are just needing to justify getting an automatic.

Like it’s been said before, if you need to ask, you probably should get the automatic. You get the added benefit that you can choose the 2.7.

life is good, we still have choices.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sounds like it may need an aftermarket throttle controller to give a bit more off the hop. These engines are throttled by wire and the controller makes a huge difference. This is what I understand anyways.