Cincykyle1020

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
7 speed because I enjoy driving. I don’t care how much more practical the auto is. I don’t care that it’s quicker. All I care about is enjoying my drive! I wouldn’t even have considered a bronco if it didn’t offer a manual transmission.
Sponsored

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This has been asked a lot the past year on this forum, do a search, there are plenty of comments to read from both sides. But to me:

A manual let's you feel the vehicle. From the earliest geared bicycles I rode, to the motorcycle I learned to drive on, you vary how each gear shifts. You can gun it for the first 2 gears, go easy on 3rd and 4th, with no drama and not goosing the throttle to try to make the automatic figure out what you want to do. In other words, you can let it rev higher, or short shift, without really changing what your gas pedal is doing. I still drive motorcycles, and still love shifting, and not making the experience "one pedal" for people that drive in heavy city traffic, light to light. That's the city part.

The off road part is more nuanced. But again you can keep the revs up going up a steep hill, and not worry about a torque converter deciding it's time to shift, mid stream.

Look at manuals through history - The Model T was was a capable vehicle when America had few paved roads. Was a manual. The model A too. The first jeeps in WWII, all the off road trucks WWI, all the post-war utility vehicles from the Dodge Power Wagon to Willy's to Broncos - manuals. All farmers (tractors) and hunters and outdoorsmen drove manuals. WHY would you want an automatic? For that matter, why let the computer do a "trail turn assist" or "one pedal" by taking control of the wheels that are locking and the brakes FOR YOU? If you wait a few years, there will be no learning to drive - it will all be auto start, automatic shift, automatic traction control, lane center control, adaptive cruise control, and weird devices that let you do a doughnut even if you don't know how. Wait - that's what all the Automatic features already are doing....

I used to train fighter pilots. Is a person sitting in a cockpit that is on autopilot, flying? They thought not. I asked one of my buddies who flew F-4s then F-16s before retiring, why he didn't keep his pilots licence current, buy a propeller plane? He said, "once you've flown a fighter plane at mach 2 and at low level nape of the earth - flying a piper cub would not be any fun."

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The off road part is more nuanced. But again you can keep the revs up going up a steep hill, and not worry about a torque converter deciding it's time to shift, mid stream.
Assuming the shift control is as good as the one in my 2014 Escape, when I switch from drive (D) to shift (S) mode, it stays in the gear I tell it to. The automatic should not decide to shift when you don't want it to if you bother to set it into the right mode.

Sponsored

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Agreed. Hard to believe it has 300hp. I was blown away how slow the manual was. So damn glad I was able to test drive it instead of buying the mt. Wheww......
I guess there's always the possibility you can get a tune and other mods to improve it. But stock, It's a tank.

Mike
It's not the manual transmission, it's the driver. Sorry.

4 cylinders have to be revved to get their power. Just like old japanese motorcycles, or my wifes (manual) Mazda 3. You downshift to get to the power. You can't just "push the long pedal thing" and expect power. The automatic does the downshifting for you....for people that don't know to. "Automatic" means less skill required.

Last edited:

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Assuming the shift control is as good as the one in my 2014 Escape, when I switch from drive (D) to shift (S) mode, it stays in the gear I tell it to. The automatic should not decide to shift when you don't want it to if you bother to set it into the right mode.
Not in all situations. The computer decides what to do. You can't redline it, you can't shift from 5th directly to 3rd, you can't do a ton of stuff. Experienced drivers want to control the car. People that want to let the car control the situation, and "ride the computer" up the hill, well...fine for them.

It's a difference in testing your capability as a driver, vs testing that the technology works, and won't break down on you. I've seen enough of those hard failures that I keep as little tech on my vehicles. I drive a 1968 CB450 and a 1979 CB750. They just keep going...not much to break, even after over 50 years of use. An automatic will all the feeds and outputs going to traction control, throttle response, and such......it's going to be a nightmare to keep running. I went for the manual.

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I used to train fighter pilots. Is a person sitting in a cockpit that is on autopilot, flying? They thought not. I asked one of my buddies who flew F-4s then F-16s before retiring, why he didn't keep his pilots licence current, buy a propeller plane? He said, "once you've flown a fighter plane at mach 2 and at low level nape of the earth - flying a piper cub would not be any fun."
Sorry!
I was in SAC for 12 years...

USS B-52.jpg

Lagrange 6g

Black Diamond
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f250 2014 landcruiser 1978 cj5
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm sure the manual guys love there trucks
I'm torn about a choice on manual or automatic , I live in a big metropolitan city with alot of traffic . My last car isuzu was a 5 speed but after 10 years of it the drama from light to light was gone now I drive a Altima. I tend to keep my vehicles 10 or 20 years.
Really what is the advantage of the manual off road and on road besides using 2 hands and 2 feet at all times ?
Well my only complaint about manual is it’s hard to drive with flip flops no duh of course but Lovin the manual just have to put flops back on when parked First manual I’ve had in 15 years MT awesome
I'm sure the manual guys love there trucks
I'm torn about a choice on manual or automatic , I live in a big metropolitan city with alot of traffic . My last car isuzu was a 5 speed but after 10 years of it the drama from light to light was gone now I drive a Altima. I tend to keep my vehicles 10 or 20 years.
Really what is the advantage of the manual off road and on road besides using 2 hands and 2 feet at all times ?
My 7 speed mt BD is awesome and a lot of fun BUT hard to drive in flip flops So flops are removed til parked I know prob illegal to drive shoeless but…..

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not in all situations. The computer decides what to do. You can't redline it, you can't shift from 5th directly to 3rd, you can't do a ton of stuff. Experienced drivers want to control the car. People that want to let the car control the situation, and "ride the computer" up the hill, well...fine for them.

It's a difference in testing your capability as a driver, vs testing that the technology works, and won't break down on you. I've seen enough of those hard failures that I keep as little tech on my vehicles. I drive a 1968 CB450 and a 1979 CB750. They just keep going...not much to break, even after over 50 years of use. An automatic will all the feeds and outputs going to traction control, throttle response, and such......it's going to be a nightmare to keep running. I went for the manual.
Right on brother👍

Sponsored

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So what about the “crawl ratio” for a manual with the 4x4 advanced transfer case?
I went into that here, previously in this thread.

BTW, I was looking at the overall crawl ratios between the stick and the auto. On a base non-squatch manual the overall crawl ratio is 79.9, and assuming many more people who get an auto will also get Sasquatch or a higher level model with the auto t-case and lower low range ratio (2.72 vs 3.06), the auto overall crawl ratio is 67.8. In rock crawling we figure that in very slow technical maneuvering the torque converter effectively doubles the crawl ratio because of the slip at very low stall speeds.

Also, for rock crawling with a manual trans, it has long been considered that a minimum of 100 to 1 crawl ratios was desired. Interestingly, with the auto t-case in the higher level models or if they allow a manual with squatch, with the lower 3.06 t-case ratio the overall crawl ratio goes to 94.7 which is pretty close to 100.

Just a bit of comparative info for those who might be interested.

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Some of you stick guys crack me up. You want a stick, then you decide what car that you like has one. Most of us pick a car that we want first, then pick a trans that fits us and what we want to do. This isn't a debate between which is better, in general, a stick or auto. It's a discussion of what we want in our Broncos!

For me, I have vehicles with both sticks and automatics, depending on what the vehicle is and what I use it for. Neither is better just on it's own, it's a preference I have between trans choices for that vehicle and for that purpose. For my Bronco, it's an auto.

Lot's of great reasons presented, but I crack up over the guys who are so one way they pick the trans over which car to buy. Oh well, we each spend our money on what we want. (y)(y)

Oh, and some of you hard core stick guys should drive an auto and update your information. 😁

Time for more beer. 🍻🍻

uncledoodoo

Everglades
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 56 F100, 11 Volvo XC90, Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

I just drove both 2.3s. the manual is a complete dog. The auto was way easier to drive, and faster too. If I were buying a 4cyl. I'd go auto for sure. That's just me. I can't see people saying the manual is fast. I don't get it.... It's not. Any chance you can drive them? That way we you can make up your own mind like me?

Also, manual has crawler and auto has one pedal drive. I would dig one pedal for offroading!

Good luck
Mike
Only the 2.7 gets one-pedal drive

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

really? we are having this discussion again? "i hate a manual... why should i get a manual?" we are adults, right? if you want an automatic get one! it is ok, we weren't holding a place for you in a man's world anyway. some guys like the big girls others like the skinny girls and the are others who don't like either. if you need to go to a forum to figure out what you like the best. you really need more help than we can offer here.

buy what makes you happy. you are the one who is going to pay the note and park it in your driveway. manual, auto, 2.3, 2.7 man up make your choice and pull the trigger...

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Some of you stick guys crack me up. You want a stick, then you decide what car that you like has one. Most of us pick a car that we want first, then pick a trans that fits us and what we want to do. This isn't a debate between which is better, in general, a stick or auto. It's a discussion of what we want in our Broncos!

For me, I have vehicles with both sticks and automatics, depending on what the vehicle is and what I use it for. Neither is better just on it's own, it's a preference I have between trans choices for that vehicle and for that purpose. For my Bronco, it's an auto.

Lot's of great reasons presented, but I crack up over the guys who are so one way they pick the trans over which car to buy. Oh well, we each spend our money on what we want. (y)(y)

Oh, and some of you hard core stick guys should drive an auto and update your information. 😁

Time for more beer. 🍻🍻
sometimes you need to choose what makes you happy. i actually prefer to drive a car with a manual transmission. it is a selling point now. there are so few vehicles with available manual transmissions, to many it is a sought after attribute.

your argument is akin to why would someone choose to ride a bicycle since there are motorcycles. some people would simply prefer the bicycle. it is more engaging...
Sponsored