Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I always go for the bigger more powerful engines. Until the bronco. Partly because I learned on a 5 speed suzuki samari 4x4, then many other performance and offroad manual trans cars. And automatics.

I went into the test drive, on 37s with a lift, wondering how slow the I4 could possibly be with low octane fuel, two grown men, AC blasting, full tank of gas, aftermarket 4WP bumpers, winch, lifted, and 112 degrees outsude. It did better than expected. Bravo I4!! Wow.

I really think the bigger 47 axle option helps make all the difference in the I4 MT. Just my opinion based off driving, others reviews, and research.

Manual transmissions are best offroad. Period. I dont doubt its "easier" with an auto, Ive done ut many times, but its not better. Auto is not as engaging. When you are on a steep cliffs edge many miles away from help and no back up car...you want to become the car via manual trans vs you adjusting to how the car does it. The bronco has some new age manual comforts as well. Before on a steep incline my old Jeep MT clutch/brake/gas pedal would get worked which was more fun and capable. But on the MT bronco if on a hill and you engage the clutch to shift...IT WONT ROLL BACKWARDS :) Great feature for beginners and a luxury feature for us MT experts.

Plus, I never liked goat modes and such. Just give me 4Wd Hi and Lo + locking hubs and a manual trans with knobby tires and we will make it up that hill, through that mud hole, slide by that cliff, back out of that nasty turn etc. I dont need "trail turn assist", front camera, or butt wipe plus and all other. I trust my own offroad experience paired with a reliable vehicle when deep in the offroad shit where it counts ir you are eitger stranded ir fu**ed vs an engineer who in some cases, not all, hates driving.

The 2.3 MT with the 47 axle in my badlands is perfect. Ive only been driving it a week. Maybe 125 miles. Only a few miles on highway 80mph. Which was good with a soft top.

The I4 bronco is much more light and agile. Front end wont slide on steep trails. Engine all aluminum and wint rust. I also have a sprint booster on it, made a huge difference. Next will be 91 octane gas, cooler weather and AC finally turned off. Then K&N drop in filter, maybe ford tune and possibly exhaust. Lastly maybe upgrade and relocate the blow off valve and if ford ever upgrades the turbo might replace that too many years down the road. But even if nothing else is done, I love driving it. The way mine is set up, it feels like Im a midget on a tidal wave or a hood ornament on a freight train. Its awesome!!

The 2.3 MT with 47 axle + booster isn't a rocket ship. But its fast, its torque pulls hard when turbo kicks in. Very enjoyable feeling to drive between 0-65mph around town. And mine sits on beefy 37x12.5R17 with 4WP bumpers, winch, full size spare and its lifted.

The MT is like butter. No comparison to my other offroad MT vehicles. Or most of my MT performance cars over the years as well. Note, Im diwn to 2 cars (haha I feel like a smoker talking about how many cigs i smoje per day...thankfully I finally quit that shit 8 months ago). I only dr8ve my MT bronco and a 2018 acc9rd touring 10 speed great easy to drive fast little car that drives itself. Actually, my accord is longer than my BL bronco :oops:

Oh and I like driving with flip flops too here in the desert. I learned in my MT FJ Cruiser with rubber/plastic floors (have same floor concept in my badlands) the best thing to do is remove the floor mats. Then your sandal bottoms dont grab nearly as bad in between shifts especially if leg not lifted.

I really had to think hard about the AT vs MT bc Im getting older with a lot of mileage. My clutch foot is messed up half the time from sports accident (pressing the pedal or just sitting down sometimes hurts in the arch). Along with misc other. But I really do prefer a manual and want my kid to learn how to drive in a big safe manual. Plus, its more fun, more powerband, total control, better offroad, last longer, cheaper and if you buy this car for its intended use get the MT. If its an everyday soccer mom city grocery get'r with maybe some towing to boot (no plans to tow in my I4) then get the V6 auto.

The I4 auto is lame. Dont waste your time on it..

Lastly. Inline engines are historically better and stronger. My best offroad engine was in my 1991 Jeep YJ Renegade. Inline 6 High Output built in Canada by AMC (american motor corp) with the aisen as-15 MT transmission. Best offroad NA powertrain ever IMO. Next to my 2010 FJ MT. V6 has more power but Inline engines are more torque + way better at maintaining AND withstanding consistent hi revs.

But I have a feeling so long as the I4 and turbo hold up...they will do as good or better but will require some extra maint bc of turbo.

My other offroad vehicles and experience are a Limited Nightshade 4x4 4runner, TRD Pro 4Runner, 2012 NA Ford Raptor with limited slip front axle and locking rear that I custom ordered from Ford and waiting sucked then too bc the pigment in my tuxedo black paint got back ordered from the tsunami in japan bc that paint pigment can 9nly be found IN JAPAN. Also had a Joyner 1100CC 4cyl sand viper 5spd MT dune buggy, Chenworth dune buggy MT with VW engine, Polaris razor 1000 turbo modified, 2000 durango RT AWD/4WD modified, 1997 F350 turbo diesel MT with crawl gear, 1988 F350 464 V8 4x4 and many more. Driven offroad everywhere in america in the lower 48 (Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, snow and ice galore in mountains and big city, California deserts from death valley to glammis and all alpine in between). Plus many years racing street modified and basic cars as well. Im not embellishing, just saying I have adequate driving experience, Im still in the car business, my wife worked for Ford for over 5 years, and my two cents is technically worthless on digital paper here haha but I hope in some way it helps you decide whether or not to trust my opinion on whether to get a bronco I4 MT or bronco 6 with AT. Above all, for love of god just don't buy the I4 AT lol
Sponsored

Last edited:

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

sometimes you need to choose what makes you happy. i actually prefer to drive a car with a manual transmission. it is a selling point now. there are so few vehicles with available manual transmissions, to many it is a sought after attribute.

your argument is akin to why would someone choose to ride a bicycle since there are motorcycles. some people would simply prefer the bicycle. it is more engaging...
if you want an automatic get one! it is ok, we weren't holding a place for you in a man's world anyway.
Seriously? You'd choose a bicycle over a motorcycle because the bicycle is more engaging? Bad analogy. I doubt you could make the argument that riding a bicycle 10 miles each way to work over riding a performance motorcycle is preferred because it's more engaging.

In a discussion about which to get in a Bronco, you guys that would only get a stick in anything you drove don't even have a point in the discussion. You're decision isn't based on the merits of each choice, or how it would work in this platform, you just want a stick in everything. OK, we get it. No big deal. But why do you need to insult guys who choose an auto to help justify your personal choice?

Like I said, some of us aren't hung up on either, we have both. This is about Broncos. And, this is a damn internet forum. We're here for entertainment, and this is entertaining! 😁 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Manual transmissions are best offroad. Period. I dont doubt its "easier" with an auto, Ive done ut many times, but its not better. Auto is not as engaging. When you are on a steep cliffs edge many miles away from help and no back up car...you want to become the car via manual trans vs you adjusting to how the car does it.

The I4 auto is lame. Dont waste your time on it..
I guess since a manual trans is better off road.....period....that's why desert race trucks are autos, and why Ultra4 cars are autos, and why competition rock buggies are autos...since they need the best performance. Oh, and since competition trucks and buggies depend on reliability, and the manual is more reliable, that's why they all choose to run automatics.

You made great points why the 2.3 is a good choice. I think evidence goes against your other comment.

BroBronco

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I guess since a manual trans is better off road.....period....that's why desert race trucks are autos, and why Ultra4 cars are autos, and why competition rock buggies are autos...since they need the best performance. Oh, and since competition trucks and buggies depend on reliability, and the manual is more reliable, that's why they all choose to run automatics.

You made great points why the 2.3 is a good choice. I think evidence goes against your other comment.
I dont follow the crowd and I'm not trying to win a race. I just want to finish the trail and make it back home feeling like I just had a shit ton of fun.

The rest of my post speaks for itself. You learned offroading in an automatic. I learned in a manual trans at 8200ft+ above sea level on small dirt/ice roads.

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I dont follow the crowd and I'm not trying to win a race. I just want to finish the trail and make it back home feeling like I just had a shit ton of fun.

The rest of my post speaks for itself. You learned offroading in an automatic. I learned in a manual trans at 8200ft+ above sea level on small dirt/ice roads.
You're stuck in your perception. You said a stick is better off road...period. You didn't say you like a stick off road. My point about competition vehicles is that they choose to run what works best because they're COMPETING. It's not about following the crowd, it's about how things work. And, back to stuck in your perceptions, you assumed that because I choose an auto for my Bronco that I learned off roading in an auto. Wrong again. The first four off road vehicles I drove were a stick '55 Willys, a stick '56 CJ3B, and stick dune buggy, and a stick '87 Cherokee. I currently own three vehicles that are manual. I'm simply challenging your statement.......because this is the internet. But, if we were sitting around a campfire drinking beer, I'd still challenge your statement. And, we wouldn't get offended because we'd be sitting together and drinking beer. 🍻 😁

Sponsored

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
When I order. Automatic for me.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Seriously? You'd choose a bicycle over a motorcycle because the bicycle is more engaging? Bad analogy. I doubt you could make the argument that riding a bicycle 10 miles each way to work over riding a performance motorcycle is preferred because it's more engaging.

In a discussion about which to get in a Bronco, you guys that would only get a stick in anything you drove don't even have a point in the discussion. You're decision isn't based on the merits of each choice, or how it would work in this platform, you just want a stick in everything. OK, we get it. No big deal. But why do you need to insult guys who choose an auto to help justify your personal choice?

Like I said, some of us aren't hung up on either, we have both. This is about Broncos. And, this is a damn internet forum. We're here for entertainment, and this is entertaining! 😁 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
the analogy of bicycle and motorcycle were appropriate, because it is about choice. if you are choosing a vehicle for strict utilitarian purpose of going to and from work, get a toyota corolla or tacoma. neither one will fail you. unlike you, i am purchasing my bronco strictly for the fun of driving it. if all you need is a to and from work vehicle, cool. i an sure you will be first in line for the release of a self driving vehicle. some choose to live a life more engaged. if i an looking to be less engaged , my trd tacoma will do just fine for me. my bronco is going to be the replacement for my fiat 124 spider with a manual transmission also. i am not asking you to drive my cars for me, as i doubt you will be offering yours to me either. and what exactly are the merits of an automatic over a manual... it is merely a point of preference. there are no merits to an automatic over a manual in my opinion. and i am the one spending my money on a car...

OP
OP
H - 2 CHARLIE

H - 2 CHARLIE

Wildtrak
First Name
CHARLIE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150 - E 350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The real truth is a Manuel makes you in total control so you can Rev the shit out of it in the lower gears were it makes it funner. Easy to cherp the tires 😛 all while being fully engaged with all of your limbs. Being a class A driver even automatic tractors are very common now .

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
sometimes you need to choose what makes you happy. i actually prefer to drive a car with a manual transmission. it is a selling point now. there are so few vehicles with available manual transmissions, to many it is a sought after attribute.

your argument is akin to why would someone choose to ride a bicycle since there are motorcycles. some people would simply prefer the bicycle. it is more engaging...

All y'all must be not married. From day 1 She chose the amount of doors ( 2 ), the color, (AMB) and transmission (Auto). And yes, she is quite capable of driving a manual. Everything else was my call. Not sure how she'll like climbing into a Squatch...😁... At the end of the day, I probably would have chosen the auto to get the V6, but I live in a rural area and traffic is not a concern. V6 manual would be my choice if given it. But, I have a wife...

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What people who have not driven a recent manual transmission car of light truck in the past 15 years or so need to understand is with the advent of computer controlled throttles, in first gear in traffic, a manual trans car will happily idle along in first gear. There is no more feathering the clutch and modulating the throttle. If the traffic is moving at a slow pace, you can just let the clutch out in 1st gear and let the computer keep the engine rev'd. Computers are programmed to keep the engine from stalling. So driving a manual in traffic is a lot easier than a 1973 Maverick with a 3-on-the-tree.

My 2 cents

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

👆🏻this

I think of it like a convertible, dually, PHEV, or any other highly constrained option that is fundamental to the vehicle. If that's what you want for then you look for vehicles that feature it and pick the one you like best. Sometimes you have to wait a while for one you really like to come out. And when it does, that's what you're going to buy. I don't understand what people don't understand about this.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I dont doubt its "easier" with an auto, Ive done ut many times, but its not better. Auto is not as engaging. When you are on a steep cliffs edge many miles away from help and no back up car...you want to become the car via manual trans vs you adjusting to how the car does it. The bronco has some new age manual comforts as well. Before on a steep incline my old Jeep MT clutch/brake/gas pedal would get worked which was more fun and capable. But on the MT bronco if on a hill and you engage the clutch to shift...IT WONT ROLL BACKWARDS :) Great feature for beginners and a luxury feature for us MT experts.

Plus, I never liked goat modes and such. Just give me 4Wd Hi and Lo + locking hubs and a manual trans with knobby tires and we will make it up that hill, through that mud hole, slide by that cliff, back out of that nasty turn etc. I dont need "trail turn assist", front camera, or butt wipe plus and all other. I trust my own offroad experience paired with a reliable vehicle when deep in the offroad shit where it counts ir you are eitger stranded ir fu**ed vs an engineer who in some cases, not all, hates driving.

The 2.3 MT with the 47 axle in my badlands is perfect. Ive only been driving it a week...

The I4 bronco is much more light and agile...

The 2.3 MT with 47 axle + booster isn't a rocket ship. But its fast, its torque pulls hard when turbo kicks in. Very enjoyable feeling to drive between 0-65mph around town...

The MT is like butter....

Oh and I like driving with flip flops too here in the desert....

The I4 auto is lame. Dont waste your time on it...

But I have a feeling so long as the I4 and turbo hold up...they will do as good or better but will require some extra maint bc of turbo.
Yep, I agree with all you are saying. The spinning of a GOAT dial reminds me of the "Easy Button" that was some tech companies slogan a few years ago. All the arguments about an auto being "better" are about some false perception that the computer and technology will make you win some kind of Baja race, or impress your friends in a snake of 4WD trucks all driving to their lunch spot. I don't do any of that. I go it alone, FAR away from crowds, and don't need some silly "doughnut assist" or "one foot so you can hang your other foot out the door" BS. I was driving sticks when most of these commentors were still in diapors. Or not born yet. They can believe their autos are better all they want...for the 3 years they own it until they move on to the next thing. Meanwhile, I'll be going on my 4th decade of off roading in the desert Southwest....

I dont follow the crowd and I'm not trying to win a race. I just want to finish the trail and make it back home feeling like I just had a shit ton of fun...
Exactly. A lot of these arguments are coming from techno-nerds with not as much life experience. Or people that only keep a vehicle (or a smart phone) 3 years then move on to the Next Big Thing. Sounds like you are like me....we don't do that. And I'm an engineer!

BroBronco

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yep, I agree with all you are saying. The spinning of a GOAT dial reminds me of the "Easy Button" that was some tech companies slogan a few years ago. All the arguments about an auto being "better" are about some false perception that the computer and technology will make you win some kind of Baja race, or impress your friends in a snake of 4WD trucks all driving to their lunch spot. I don't do any of that. I go it alone, FAR away from crowds, and don't need some silly "doughnut assist" or "one foot so you can hang your other foot out the door" BS. I was driving sticks when most of these commentors were still in diapors. Or not born yet. They can believe their autos are better all they want...for the 3 years they own it until they move on to the next thing. Meanwhile, I'll be going on my 4th decade of off roading in the desert Southwest....

Exactly. A lot of these arguments are coming from techno-nerds with not as much life experience. Or people that only keep a vehicle (or a smart phone) 3 years then move on to the Next Big Thing. Sounds like you are like me....we don't do that. And I'm an engineer!
To put it simply so others can easily understand it, we dont fuck around. Im not saying my dick is bigger bc i drive a stick shift, Im just saying its bigger haha! ;)

You are spot on and thanks for the support!! Its not too friendly around these parts lol

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey, whatever turns your crank. If you want to drive an auto, go for it, and good on you as you will be happy with your decision.

If the manual had been offered in a 6cyl option, the manual uptake would have been considerably higher that what it presently is.

As for me, give me a MT any day of the week. I will get in my Bronco and immediately turn off all of the driver assist BS, and enjoy actually "driving" my Bronco!
Sponsored