Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So, apparently, the amperage going to the aux power wire on the Bronco 7-way is pretty anemic. I want to use it to keep an aux battery charged in the trailer. From reading other posts, this works. Albeit very very slowly.

Anybody ever run a dedicated wire from under the hood back and replace the aux power wire on the 7-way plug? Was thinking like a 12ga or 10ga wire that could carry a little more current.

If so - where would you tie something like this in? Direct to battery? Somewhere off the fuse box? Back of alternator?

Ford Bronco 7-Way Power Wire 1673713945538
Sponsored

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2006 Tacoma, 2020 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am running my own wire, you will need a DC to DC charger to make it work for a few reasons.
The alternator in the Bronco is smart, so it will not output 14 volts unless if thinks it is needed. Chargers like redarc have a ignition wire that let it know when to create that demand.

The voltage drop from the alternator even with large gage wire will mean the voltage at the trailer battery may be insufficient to charge the battery.

OP
OP
Figmo

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

DC2DC charger on the Bronco? Or in the trailer connected to the 7-Way?

I was thinking of mounting the charger in the trailer and just using the aux power line to feed into it.

JKBL4

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I ran a 4 awg which I will connect to a dc-dc charger and use the factory aux wire as the “ignition wire” for the charger.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Figmo

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I ran a 4 awg which I will connect to a dc-dc charger and use the factory aux wire as the “ignition wire” for the charger.
I think you are right. The charger I got is a 20amp charger which “normally“ wouldn’t require such a big wire. (10 or even 12 awg would work) but given how long the wire needs to be - I like your idea of a bigger wire to reduce the voltage loss.

BTW: This is the charger I’m using: Vicoffroad ATEM Power 12V 20A DC to DC Battery Charger. Way less money than the higher end models but still has the features I need (ignition wire, solar inputs, etc). Time will tell if it holds up to the test of time and trails.

One last question: Where did you connect on the Bronco side? Direct to battery?

JKBL4

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think you are right. The charger I got is a 20amp charger which “normally“ wouldn’t require such a big wire. (10 or even 12 awg would work) but given how long the wire needs to be - I like your idea of a bigger wire to reduce the voltage loss.

BTW: This is the charger I’m using: Vicoffroad ATEM Power 12V 20A DC to DC Battery Charger. Way less money than the higher end models but still has the features I need (ignition wire, solar inputs, etc). Time will tell if it holds up to the test of time and trails.

One last question: Where did you connect on the Bronco side? Direct to battery?
Yep direct to the battery with a fuse close to the battery.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Screw it. My four pins gonna work as soon as I fix one thing. Thinking of Installing solar on the trailer, and stop sweating the 7 pin.
Sponsored