Sponsored

7MT 4.46 Upgrade - How to add lockers and new gearing?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3L 7MT Bronco, Lamborghini Urus, McLaren 765LT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hi everyone,

I have a big bend 4D 2.3L with the 7MT and 3.73 gears. I really want to turn this into a better off-roader but I am also new to the off roading world and am looking for advice. What do I need to do in order to get a locking front/rear diff and shorter gearing? Do I need to do them all at once? Can I do the gearing first, do I need to do both the front and rear diff at the same time? Like I said I am a noob, and am looking for advice!

Edit: 4.46 gearing, not 3.73 :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Right now it is very limited on what can be done with the front diff. Your best option currently is getting the 4.46 gear set/carrier for the front from Ford and adding a Torsen or Trutrac LSD to the rear with 4.46 gears. The gear sets are welded to the carrier in the open diffs, so you will need to do both gear and locker at the same time.

As far as doing both front and rear at the same time, yes if you want to use 4WD, no if you keep it in 2wd. If you only do the rear and forget and put it in 4wd, it will be an expensive mistake. But yes, you can do one at a time as long as it never goes into 4wd while they are mismatched.

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sale it and order you one that already has those items. It will be to costly and time consuming to modify that one.

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hi everyone,

I have a big bend 4D 2.3L with the 7MT and 3.73 gears. I really want to turn this into a better off-roader but I am also new to the off roading world and am looking for advice. What do I need to do in order to get a locking front/rear diff and shorter gearing? Do I need to do them all at once? Can I do the gearing first, do I need to do both the front and rear diff at the same time? Like I said I am a noob, and am looking for advice!
Manual transmission Big Bends come with 4.46 gearing not 3.73

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Manual transmission Big Bends come with 4.46 gearing not 3.73

Well, that makes the gearing easy. Just get an LSD and new gear set for the rear and he'll be good to go.

Murph914

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F-350 reg cab srw v10 manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The labor for lockers and gearing is almost the same. If you really want to put off some costs, maybe you install the differentials and lockers, but push out the electrical / air plumbing and wiring. Weā€™re still brand new to this, so not much available. ARB will have an air lcoker kit, and other companies will have electric lockers and still more limited slips (LSDs). To me the most interesting option would be to go oem, especially if it is system integrated.

lots and lots here to learn to be honest.

your best option today is to trade in for a badlands (but I suspect you already know this).

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Hi everyone,

If Iā€™m not mistaken, the 7MT is only available with 4.46 gears
Like Dan said, you already have 4.46 gears.

1596228397798-png.png

M Redwood

Big Bend
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BB,BASE
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
im base and was wondering about same for LSD...isnt there a non switchable LSD mechanical only unit that increases traction greatly without needing to turn on and off...? if so, anyone, is this a fairly easy remove and replace procedure or requires technical skill? never done ..im auto 3.73

NaturalFlorida

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 4Runner SR-5 / 7" lift / 5.29 Gears / Lockers
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

im base and was wondering about same for LSD...isnt there a non switchable LSD mechanical only unit that increases traction greatly without needing to turn on and off...? if so, anyone, is this a fairly easy remove and replace procedure or requires technical skill? never done ..im auto 3.73

The gear set in the open diff is welded, so if adding a LSD, a new gear set will be required and requires the knowledge and ability to set up correctly.

Jason

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands & 2023 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really want to turn this into a better off-roader but I am also new to the off roading world and am looking for advice.
Since youā€™re new, I recommend you get out there and off road with your stock Bronco. There is a lot you can do without lockers.

As you gain experience, you will be in a better position to decide if you want a limited slip diff, gears, a lift, lockers, bigger tires, and/or just keep rolling stock.

M Redwood

Big Bend
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BB,BASE
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The gear set in the open diff is welded, so if adding a LSD, a new gear set will be required and requires the knowledge and ability to set up correctly.
thxs for answer...dang it...well it
tanks for intel..im bummed...

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not to hijack a thread but what is the function of 4wd if you donā€™t have lockers. Wonā€™t one wheel slip no matter what. Even in 4wd?

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ā€˜1928 model A, ā€œ23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You can actually buy complete front 44 and rear 60 with 4.70 and lockers from Ford/Dana. Bolt them in and sell your axles. Nice setup and maybe cheaper than having gears and lockers installed.
https://spicerparts.com/ford/bronco/2021
Sponsored