First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
In the section about maximizing fuel economy, the driver's manual suggests: "Do not shift into neutral when you are braking or when your vehicle is slowing down"

My questions are:

1) Do they mean this regardless of MT or AT?

2) Is fuel economy affected by this due to the fact the engine is essentially idling? (which as I understand it, is not as much of a fuel-sipping state as it might seem?) Excessive idling is also not great for engines in general but that's another topic.

3) (For experienced manual drivers) *As a general rule* do you downshift when slowing to a stop or do you use brakes only? If you downshift, do you do it sequentially or just pick up 1st gear somewhere near the very end of the slow-down?

In my first 3 vehicles (all manual) and ~10 years of driving, (as a general rule) I did not downshift except when accelerating from cruising speeds. To stop, I just went into neutral and applied the brakes with discretion. I replaced one clutch on the first vehicle which had been used and abused by the previous owner (older sister). Brake job intervals were around 30k miles in all 3 IIRC.

Last question: Am I foolish or just lazy for planning to drive this way when I get my Bronco? (Safety cop nit-picks 'you won't be able to react as fast if you're not in gear,' notwithstanding)
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have been driving exclusively manuals for about 15 years now. Honestly, I mix it up depending on situation and feel.

Pebkac

Black Diamond
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So generally with modern ECUs they're programmed to use essentially zero fuel when coasting, versus keeping the engine idling with the clutch depressed or the vehicle in neutral. The actual fuel savings is probably tiny but still some.

For instance, if you went down a mountain locked in 3rd gear versus neutral you'd have used more fuel in neutral.

As far as driving habits, I generally will leave my cars in gear when coming to a stop until the engine is close to bogging down versus row through the gears backwards.

Edit: Also, I generally just go straight for first when coming to a stop and if I know I'll be taking off again soon I double clutch or blip the throttle slightly so it snicks into first at about 10-15mph before stopping. Otherwise, you have to really lean on your first gear synchro.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
I live in the Appalachians. When I had my F250 manual I used the gears to slow me down going down hill, now that I have automatics, same thing. The days when you could replace the brake pads for cheap and resurface the rotors if needed are long gone. Another cost to save money on....

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Personally I usually row through them all except 1st, although if it's slowing rapidly from highway speed then I'll often skip 5th and then not bother with 2nd (or 1st as above). Then once stopped it's into neutral until the opposing light goes red (if at the front of the line) or my light goes green (if back in the line).

When I'm driving there is nothing more satisfying than a perfectly executed heel-toe rev-matched downshift while braking.

Sponsored

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Personally I usually row through them all except 1st, although if it's slowing rapidly from highway speed then I'll often skip 5th and then not bother with 2nd (or 1st as above). Then once stopped it's into neutral until the opposing light goes red (if at the front of the line) or my light goes green (if back in the line).

When I'm driving there is nothing more satisfying than a perfectly executed heel-toe rev-matched downshift while braking.
Clutches!!! We don't need no stinkin' clutches!!!

Buckin Bronco

Badlands
First Name
ChoSunJuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I take my foot off the gas, then engine brake till I'm almost stopped and put in the clutch. Then neutral and wait for lights to change.

If I can time it right I'll shift into 2nd instead of stopping and then pick up speed and carry on.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18388

In the section about maximizing fuel economy, the driver's manual suggests: "Do not shift into neutral when you are braking or when your vehicle is slowing down"

My questions are:

2) Is fuel economy affected by this due to the fact the engine is essentially idling? (which as I understand it, is not as much of a fuel-sipping state as it might seem?) Excessive idling is also not great for engines in general but that's another topic.

3) (For experienced manual drivers) *As a general rule* do you downshift when slowing to a stop or do you use brakes only? If you downshift, do you do it sequentially or just pick up 1st gear somewhere near the very end of the slow-down?

In my first 3 vehicles (all manual) and ~10 years of driving, (as a general rule) I did not downshift except when accelerating from cruising speeds. To stop, I just went into neutral and applied the brakes with discretion. I replaced one clutch on the first vehicle which had been used and abused by the previous owner (older sister). Brake job intervals were around 30k miles in all 3 IIRC.

Last question: Am I foolish or just lazy for planning to drive this way when I get my Bronco? (Safety cop nit-picks 'you won't be able to react as fast if you're not in gear,' notwithstanding)
I've downshifted every manual I've owned, with the exception of downshifting into first.. Had very long lives on my clutch, and around 40k for brakes. I also live in a rural area. So I guess that may factor into my brake and clutch life.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

When I drove a manual full time, I only downshifted when slowing if I had to get hard on the brakes (fast stop). Otherwise for normal stops, I left it in gear until coming to a complete stop. Service brakes are cheap compared to clutch replacement.

You always should leave it in gear when slowing. Coasting in neutral makes no sense from fuel usage to being able to apply power when needed. The extra wear on the clutch adds to the non-sense.

I've been in an automatic for a while now but drove a manual from an early age (pre-license) through getting married. I still have one with my '75 in the garage.

Bronco-ocnorB

Big Bend
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I drove a manual for 12 years and am excited to get back into one. I downshifted and tried to avoid the brakes whenever possible. As mentioned above rev-matching and not utilizing the clutch on the way up or down was also a favorite....once I know it was possible. I was nervous as heck when I did it the first couple of times!

Sponsored

Itchysquatch

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

My questions are:

Slowing down, I would typically down shift to third and second (depending on the speeds I’m slowing down from, the engine will tell you). For those 90 degree turns, second usually works like a charm. Last 3 manuals I got 80k miles out of the brakes that way. Never had to replace a clutch on last 3. A couple slave cylinders though. Kept all three vehicles over 150k miles. To each their own, as long as your driving style doesn’t cause excessive wear, you’re probably doing alright and maybe over thinking it? The fuel economy aspect is interesting though.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I never used the brakes in neutral, mostkh because I want to keep it in gear in the event there was an emergency and I need to apply the gas quickly. Same reason why I downshifted along with the engine. If I need to apply power, quickly, I don't want to shift or worry about the proper gear...just pop the clutch and go.

I was also taught to not sit at a stop light in neutral, for the same reason.

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I spend as little time in neutral as possible, including while stopped. As far as stopping, I downshift my way through the gears. For an emergency stop, it stays in gear while braking until I grab first as it stops. Coming from having a class A and driving a truck with a few more gears, if you aren't in gear you aren't in complete control of the vehicle at all times.

HarderCorer

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Interesting reading everyone's take. Driving a manual is kinda like fishing I think. Everyone has their own way to do it and everyone else has no idea what they are doing. 😜

havingfunyet

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have had my current manual Jeep (I still refer to it as standard trans.) for 11 yrs and several other manuals and rarely use neutral. I didn't even know that was something that people did. I downshift as needed, sometimes skipping a gear depending on how quickly I am slowing down. I have never had to replace a clutch and if I worried too much about fuel mileage I would drive something other than a Jeep and be getting something other than a Bronco.
Sponsored