First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
All modern MTs have revhang and this is by design to reduce emissions and to rev match when up shifting. For example if you are accelerating and you shift you want to keep the revs up bcuz you should be shifting and increasing throttle. My 2012 beetle had it too and every beetle forum spent hours trying to eliminate it and you just can’t without completely unlocking your ecu. Which would be impossible w these. You have to adapt your driving style to this vehicle. I personally love it and I have the ford performance tune and straight exhaust so I fkn love it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

bronco100

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
All modern MTs have revhang and this is by design to reduce emissions and to rev match when up shifting. For example if you are accelerating and you shift you want to keep the revs up bcuz you should be shifting and increasing throttle.
Source???

To my knowledge there is absolutely zero correlation between rev hang and rev matching. How would that help you shift at all? If anything it would make it more difficult because you now have to wait longer to shift.

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Source???

To my knowledge there is absolutely zero correlation between rev hang and rev matching. How would that help you shift at all? If anything it would make it more difficult because you now have to wait longer to shift.
Bcuz it takes me half a second to shift why would I want the revs to go back down to 1k rpm if I’m going from 4th to 5 th.

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
OP
OP

bronco100

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That is an interesting source regarding the emissions aspect. I wonder if it could be converted to drive by cable to get around that.

But still it doesn’t explain how it relates to rev matching. If you clutch in in 4th gear as you state, in order to shift up to 5th, and it takes you half a second to shift, the revs will drop by 500 in that time. So unless you are shifting at 1.5k they aren’t going to go down to 1k as you state. On the 6th gen manual Bronco, when you clutch in, the revs fall by approximately 1k per second. If you are shifting up at a typical engine speed of say, 3k, it would take 2 seconds to let it drop to 1k. Which is about how long I currently hold the clutch in to shift smoothly on my Bronco.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For those who've never heard of rev hang, you obviously don't drive a MT Toyota. My 2nd Gen Tacoma is the most difficult to drive smoothly MT I've ever owned. All 160hp of. Many people with Toyotas get tunes just to eliminate rev hang. Maybe it's because I'm used to severe rev hang on a daily basis, but my Bronco displays very little if any to me.

OP
OP

bronco100

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's amazing to me how people can drive a vehicle and just be completely oblivious to certain aspects of it.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

You don't need to reply if you don't know what you're talking about. I'm not referring to rev matching, or shifting without the clutch or 99% of the other things the folks in the replies of this thread are talking about. I'm only inquiring about rev hang. That's it. Thanks
Hope you figure it out since 99% haven’t seen the issue driving the Bronco.

OP
OP

bronco100

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hope you figure it out since 99% haven’t seen the issue driving the Bronco.
I’ve driven several new Broncos and they all have it. I just think people don’t notice it.

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have you tried letting the boost drop to zero before shifting? Since rev hang is programmed for emissions reasons, I always suspected that less boost=less rev hang.

I have a 7MT and don't notice any more rev hang than any other modern turbo DI vehicle with a manual (the Bronco is my 3rd in a row, BMW F30->GTI->Bronco). But I also typically shift at like 2500 RPM with zero boost. It ain't a sports car, but I enjoy the driving experience just as much as my prior sportier vehicles (more than the F30, which was a boring/numb drive even with the sport package and 6MT). .

Sponsored

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's amazing to me how people can drive a vehicle and just be completely oblivious to certain aspects of it.
It’s amazing to me how long it takes you to shift. Isn’t like instant.
it’s clutch in shift clutch out
Why does it take so long.

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s amazing to me how long it takes you to shift. Isn’t like instant.
it’s clutch in shift clutch out
Why does it take so long.
You're missing the point of the thread. OP wants to release clutch when the engine is already at the correct RPM for that speed/gear, to avoid lurching+clutch wear. But apparently rev hang is making that process take a long time.

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mine for sure hangs similar to what you are saying. RPMs drop faster from higher revs but seem to stop right around 2K.

It is noticeable at times but I'm generally I'm not driving hard enough to notice. I would bet driving style is a big part of it and you notice it much more coming from that BMW.

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You're missing the point of the thread. OP wants to release clutch when the engine is already at the correct RPM for that speed/gear, to avoid lurching+clutch wear. But apparently rev hang is making that process take a long time.
But if I’m up shifting on the freeway to 5 or6 why do I want to let’s the revs go to zero.
doesnt make sense.

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But if I’m up shifting on the freeway to 5 or6 why do I want to let’s the revs go to zero.
doesnt make sense.
Please just re-read the first paragraph of the original post until you understand what OP is talking about.
Sponsored