Sponsored

7MT Shift Indicator?

FerkinBlonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 KLR 650, 2022 Bronco Base (2dr/7mt/CO)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Manual vs auto was already a close race to me, and now that pricing has changed a little I'm seriously considering going with the manual instead of 2.7 auto.

That lead to me reminiscing about the "olden" times with my '08 manual focus. Last 4-wheeled thing I've daily driven with a standard.

That thing had an idiot light that told me when I should shift, presumably for gas mileage. Do you all know or think the manual bronco might include a shift indicator of some sort?

Given its been a while, it might be nice to have some thing nudging me the right way for power and/or efficiency, at least for the first few months. I'm sure I'd figure it out either way, but, eh, if Ford though it worthwhile back then, maybe they still do.

I'll note that I haven't looked into the 'stang or ranger to see if they employ this, but I vaguely understand that our beloved bronco will be coming with a newer electronics and software package... so maybe it won't be quite the same.

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
FerkinBlonco

FerkinBlonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 KLR 650, 2022 Bronco Base (2dr/7mt/CO)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Good point - I'll get sick of staring at it all the time. What with the fancy LCD part of the instrument cluster, I'm secretly hoping someone says it's on one of the info screens and can be toggled, or somethin'.

climb2descend

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
On my focus st there isn't a light, instead it indicates with a digital number and arrow (downshift or upshift) in the cluster It's not in ur face and very small in the corner.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

IF it does, I'll either disable it or put a piece of tape over it. It's bad enough it's going to have one of those idiot proof designs to keep you from accidently shifting into reverse.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I guess it’s for the person who isn’t listening for the shift or watching the tach. My guess is, the light wouldn’t help that person either.

I hope it’s not on the Bronco either, but it probably is.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not that you need it, I shift but seat of the pants torque feel, but it will atleast have a tachometer. Probably shift about a grand before redline.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not that you need it, I shift but seat of the pants torque feel, but it will atleast have a tachometer. Probably shift about a grand before redline.
Yeah, shifts by feel. Most of the time I'm not even conscious I'm shifting. Lots of different applications as to when I shift and even if I skip a gear. A tach is nice to occasionally see what rpms you are running, but certainly isn't needed and it's usually better to have eyes on the road. Same with a motorcycle. Shift points are based on needs and not specific rpms. Depending on a light is going to leave a person behind the ball most of the time.

BLTN

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Badlands; '95 Jeep XJ; '05 F-350; '07 Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it is there, it better only appear in ECO GOAT mode...the one I'll never use...

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
The shift light is government required for efficiency.

https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=14368&flag=1
A vehicle with a shift indicator is tested for mpg differently then one without. A small car may get such a high mpg it does not need any help to get the best mpg it can get on the test. A big heavy vehicle like the bronco needs all the help it can get to pass the mpg requirement.

Last edited:

Sponsored

PhoenixM3

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2018 Fiesta ST, 2018 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It’ll likely be present and will be disabled (likely) using Forscan. Dumb current Ford features like the double honk when you exit and shut a car door with the car running will be defeat-able as well.

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Doubt there will be a separate light. New vehicles equipped with manual typically show you what gear you’re in with an arrow up or down telling you to shift. You won’t notice it unless you drive only looking at your instrument panel

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If it is there, it better only appear in ECO GOAT mode...the one I'll never use...
ECO GOAT - Is that a grass fed and free range animal?

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Weird, Shift indicators are usually meant for race modes to maximize torque and power on shifts. I suppose they could be used for gas mileage too based on mode mapping.

Either way, I really hope there isn't one in the Bronco.
Sponsored