First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I keep hearing how smooth everyone’s MT is. Mine has been slightly clunky shifting from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd, although not as much. Both while moving and when rowing through the gears while at stop. It gets smoother as the transmission warms up. I’m planning on having Ford check it out at the first oil change in a few months but wondering if maybe I should take it in now if it’s something that need to be fixed. Relatively speaking it’s minor. But just curious if this is just normal. Haven’t had a manual in years but i don’t remember it ever being like this on my other cars.

Also, having the 4.7 gears seems too high for me. I’m not fond of how quickly it revs up in first. The rest of the gears are perfect. Perhaps its good for rock crawling but not for the street. or maybe with a smoother shift from 1-2 this would change my mind.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I keep hearing how smooth everyone’s MT is. Mine has been slightly clunky shifting from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd, although not as much. Both while moving and when rowing through the gears while at stop. It gets smoother as the transmission warms up. I’m planning on having Ford check it out at the first oil change in a few months but wondering if maybe I should take it in now if it’s something that need to be fixed. Relatively speaking it’s minor. But just curious if this is just normal. Haven’t had a manual in years but i don’t remember it ever being like this on my other cars.

Also, having the 4.7 gears seems too high for me. I’m not fond of how quickly it revs up in first. The rest of the gears are perfect. Perhaps its good for rock crawling but not for the street. or maybe with a smoother shift from 1-2 this would change my mind.

Thoughts?
Can't comment on the clunkiness beyond it may wear in? How many miles do you currently have on it? Also is the clutch fully depressed or just enough to disengage?

For the short first gear - I've yet to drive a manual Bronco but I know the Wrangler also has the short first gear which means a lot of rowing in town but that's the nature of an off road vehicle.

Wide Open Roads

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta, '10 911 C2S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@TommyBronco the shift effort is relative to your perception -- I'd find another 7MT Bronco owner here and try driving theirs, or in the odd event that your dealer has another one available to drive, give that a try.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'd definitely get them to check the gear oil level when you take it in. The only MT I've driven is the local demo and it was a very smooth transmission.

I will say that Redline transmission gear oil is top notch and I've had it smooth out an already smooth shifting transmission. It also helps a lot in cold start up / operation. I'd look at the level first though.

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@TommyBronco the shift effort is relative to your perception -- I'd find another 7MT Bronco owner here and try driving theirs, or in the odd event that your dealer has another one available to drive, give that a try.
The odds a dealer having a Bronco in stock that is not a customer order and a manual transmission is likely astronomical.

Sponsored

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

"smooth" is relative so your baseline matters. It also meters how much experience you have with a MT and what you are comparing it to.

1st to 2nd is short, and I can see how it could feel clunky depending on the shift point, the rpms and how you are driving.

I have the 7mt and would disagree with your assessment that it isn't good for the street. The only time I find it inconvenient is when I am going from a stop to a high rate speed (turning onto a highway for instance). Then, I do notice that I am shifting sooner. Every other time is fine, IMO.

Having driven a 10spd auto also, I didn't like feeling like I was in the "wrong gear" or the car shifting after I want it to do something, rather than before. That is my preference though.

ogo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I'd definitely get them to check the gear oil level when you take it in. The only MT I've driven is the local demo and it was a very smooth transmission.

I will say that Redline transmission gear oil is top notch and I've had it smooth out an already smooth shifting transmission. It also helps a lot in cold start up / operation. I'd look at the level first though.
Little bit off topic, but what dealer in NC has a MT demo?
Just recently switched my order to have the MT as I've found I've missed rowing gears oddly enough.

Bronco_joe

Black Diamond
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I feel your same exact description. I have almost 5000mi and it hasn't changed. After 3rd gear it's smooth as butter. Let us know what the dealer says, I try to deal with mine less as possible.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

"smooth" is relative so your baseline matters. It also meters how much experience you have with a MT and what you are comparing it to.

1st to 2nd is short, and I can see how it could feel clunky depending on the shift point, the rpms and how you are driving.

I have the 7mt and would disagree with your assessment that it isn't good for the street. The only time I find it inconvenient is when I am going from a stop to a high rate speed (turning onto a highway for instance). Then, I do notice that I am shifting sooner. Every other time is fine, IMO.

Having driven a 10spd auto also, I didn't like feeling like I was in the "wrong gear" or the car shifting after I want it to do something, rather than before. That is my preference though.
I've been driving stick since 91 (*edit* forgot when I started driving, lol), and this is among the smoothest shifting manuals I've ever driven. Way better than my 2013 Mustang (and that had a Getrag too)

As you mention, my only complaint against the manual is that first is too short (and/or the 2.3 sounds horrible when you rev it out) so I end up shifting to 2nd halfway through a turn from a stop sign.

Last edited:

LT. DAN ICE CREAM!!!

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have noticed that 1-2 is a little clunky, and I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt that way. This is my first manual car; I thought I was messing something up.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lol, some how, they made a 1st gear that feels too short and too tall at the same time!
1 to 2 might be clunky on mine, not necessarily the trannys fault. It could be the rest of the driveline loading and unloading also.
2nd feels a touch too tall to launch from, but if you have ANY momentum at all, it'll work fine.
Somebody that went from base 30s to 33's or 35's said the taller net gearing seemed to work better.
This thing was born for tires and lift!!!! Lol!

BCFDLtE13

Badlands
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Getrags are cold natured and this is normal and typical of them. Change to a quality oil like Amsoil or Redline. These oils won't completely stop it when cold, but they certainly help. Once warmed up it should go away. The notchiness you're feeling is the synchronizers. When you feel them, your damaging them so try to prevent rushing it till the tranny warms up. Shift very slowly or preferably, double clutch when cold. 1st gear, clutch in shift to neutral gate, clutch out; clutch in, keep revs matched pull it gently back into 2nd, clutch out. After about 5 mins of driving, you can go back to grippin and rippin.

bronco2drga

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Next time I drive mine I'll pay extra attention. I do think it's a little "clunkier" than most modern cars, but it feels more robust at the same time. Compared to my old Porsche it's smooth, but my 97 dodge 2500 with a 12 valve diesel it's a little clunky from gear to gear, but still smooth and the clutch is great.

ProdigyJKU

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've never noticed any difference on mine between the 1-2 shift, the the higher shift.

I'm used to the short first gear, my JKU was the same. It sucked at the dragstrip. 3 gears just to get to 60, and trapping in 5th.

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just start off in 2nd if you don't like how short first gear is.
Sponsored