First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My 2014 Volt takes 4 hours to add 30-40 miles of range to the battery at maximum allowed voltage of 220v(it also has a gasoline engine), the 2022 Hyundai Ionic 5 takes 18 minutes to add over 200 miles to the battery.

This is literally how much EV battery technology has improved in 8 years...
as a firefighter try putting an ev fire out. Some take 24 hours submerged in water.
Sponsored

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Very true and that's just physics.

And you've posted that a few times, but there is one flaw in your position, EVs as used by all the posters above have one thing in common, they all charge at night. No need for a fast charge because they have all night while they sleep; and it's cheaper too. If a very high majority charge at home at night and don't drive more than their car's range (250-300+ miles?) then the fast charge isn't needed and battery life due to that, only applies to a very small percentage of "average daily drivers" and doesn't apply to a vast majority of commuters.

Are you making that a major point of the argument when it simply isn't the need of the end user?

Fast charging isn't necessary for most, just a reasonable charge time and range. Cars and trucks getting 300 plus miles per charge handles most of the average commuters weekly driving needs. And a lot of people drive a different vehicle to work and then have a tow, camping or wheeling/party rig for the weekends.
It isn't, my entire point has been that a battery only car cannot replace a gas or hybrid one for a lot of use scenarios. A battery car is great solution for some, but not everyone. And pointing out why it isn't a valid choice for many people is literally just pointing our reality.

Sorry 6.8 cents per kwh $0.068. That's if I don't change to 'time of use' prcing which charges less at night and more during the day. I'd have to figure out the math, but off peak would be only $0.043 or 4.3 cents per kw/h.
Don't drag me into that, I haven't brought up cost to charge at all as I have no idea. :lol: I know my wife's Clarity has affected our bill buy by how much I have no clue since energy costs are going up elsewise.

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
as a firefighter try putting an ev fire out. Some take 24 hours submerged in water.
Someone is really stretching it... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

How many have YOU put out?

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Per law, manufacturers have to warrant their batteries for 8 years/100k miles (10 years/150k miles for some States), regardless of how it's charged.
Nobody should just have to replace a battery at 5 years.
Add in the new quick change batteries that are around the corner and you'll be swapping out for a "new" set of batteries that are performing within specs and your old batteries will be swapped out of the system when their time is up. Kind of like swapping your propane tank out at the store, you can take a rusty looking tank with a good valve and get a freshly paint one, for a small premium over filling your old tank.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The old argument regarding range and time to charge is simply not true for most people's daily driving needs. You can commute daily on your overnight charge and never have to stop at a gas station, so the time to fill up argument is zero for the average driver, while we are still going to gas stations once a week.

If your traveling a long distance, say LA to SF and you need 20-30 minutes to charge up, a nice break to stretch your legs and hit the "restrooms", pun intended; and someone in the car always needs something from the convenience store.

So, even if you travel regularly, how many minutes are you waiting more than a normal road trip stop with your family? Compare that to no gas station time during the work week. The average person just doesn't drive that far on their daily commute and errands on the way home that an over night charge won't top off. So arguing longer "fill up times" at the gas station is a non-starter for an average commuter since they never stop (during work week) at a charging station.

Add in employers and businesses are adding charging stations and one can top off while eating dinner out, something your doing anyway, or at my swim school while they are already there for a set amount of time they could be charging and spend zero additional time going to a gas station.

So for most of us with ICE, gas station time will be once a week? Twice a week? While those in an EV don't stop once to fill up, but leave home full. HMMMM, yet we keep arguing about fill up time?

It seems pretty simple to me, that it takes me longer to go to a gas station every week, then my friend who never has to go because he leaves home with "full tank" err battery every morning. And he's a Home Inspector, working multiple appointments and driving much farther than I commute.

But I'm the one still spending time filling up.
OK, here is a trip I just did a couple weeks back (on a Thurs/Fri). Started 5 AM on Thurs. 353 miles, Did stop here and there and did get gas once, even though we did not have to stop. Total time getting gas, 5 minutes. The other stops were WHENEVER and WHERE EVER we felt like it. The reason that is significant, is EV's FORCE you to stop where you have to charge, instead of getting gas for 5 minutes and then stopping where you really might want to. Who knows what you will see, even just on the side of the road or billboard where you might want to stop. And that 20-30 minute charge is rarely to 100% on most EV's.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/538...e!2m2!1d-78.8346264!2d38.2590439!3e0?hl=en-US

Arrived at Caves, took tour, then went to Skyline drive, 32 miles.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Gra...d!2m2!1d-78.4669096!2d38.4523421!3e0?hl=en-US

Drove down some of skyline drive, then to hotel on Harrisonburg, 54 miles.
(not exact addy of hotel, but was on extreme southern end of town)

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mad...f!2m2!1d-78.8689155!2d38.4495688!3e0?hl=en-US

Drove into and around town for dinner/ice cream, 17 miles.

So that is 456 miles total in first day.

Stayed overnight, drove straight home, NO stops. 334 miles. (range of 2.0, 17 escape is 407 miles).

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Har...4e!2m2!1d-74.3093692!2d40.147883!3e0?hl=en-US

The skyline drive was totally unplanned. The Cave tour was not that long, so we looked for something else to do. What range do AFFORDABLE EV's (we paid $27.5K for 2017 Escape AWD SE with 2.0 and winter package, as the only two only) get @ high speeds, fully loaded down and air or heat on going 20-85% charge?

Obviously this trip was not impossible in an EV, but it sure would have been much more of a PIA. Still waiting for 5-10 minute 100% charge.

Sponsored

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You are literally ignoring reality however. Because something may help it does not solve it. There is no solution until a magic battery is created. And there is no physical nor scientific basis for one. I will toss in "yet" for y'all but it would take a fundamental change in how batteries work. Basic stuff.

The hard headed people who seem to think electric is viable for everyone just cannot accept reality. Batteries cannot do what they hope they can do. It is not about battery technology needing to progress more, it is about as far as it can go. Just look at the industry. I see some people saying they would never own an electric car and that's good for them. Others claim they theirs. Again good for them. For the vast majority of drivers an all electric car is fine for short commuting and such. Will that new maybe technology help bridge it with infrequent use? Absolutely but it does not solve the fundamental problem with batteries. They wear out, and faster the harder/fast you charge them. They are not repairable nor rebuildable. They are junk. But that is not directly related to the viability of them as true replacement to gas cars as an only car.

Having all kinds of choices is great. Some work for some people and some not at all for others. Hell this site is exactly all about that. All of people would find a Bronco as all but useless or unneeded for their uses. Yet here we are. I hope we see gas, hybrid, fuel cell and electric cars and Bronco models. I have been hoping for a hybrid Bronco for a while but Ford doesn't seem interested in one. Can't say I blame them, they have enough demand without it currently.

Just go back and read what has been said here. I am correct. :)

The government should not be in the business of telling manufacturers what their warranty should be. If Teslyota makes a battery that they feel under normal usage can be warrantied for 10 years they should do it, if they feel only 3, then do that. It is up to the person buying it to decide what is important to them. ;)
That's where I think the idiocrasy comes in. There's no perfect vehicle (ICE or EV) that checks all the boxes, it's why we have vans, sports cars, small SUVs, large SUVs. EVs fit perfectly in the list of available options for car buyers. But for some insane reason there are anti-EV people wrapping up their entire identity in making sure everyone in the world is aware that EVs have less range towing and require more time to charge than it would take to fill up. It makes no sense lol. Just like a family of 4 won't buy a 2 seater Porsche, a long haul driver or frequent road tripper won't buy an EV. Nothing to see here, move on lol.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That's where I think the idiocrasy comes in. There's no perfect vehicle (ICE or EV) that checks all the boxes, it's why we have vans, sports cars, small SUVs, large SUVs. EVs fit perfectly in the list of available options for car buyers. But for some insane reason there are anti-EV people wrapping up their entire identity in making sure everyone in the world is aware that EVs have less range towing and require more time to charge than it would take to fill up. It makes no sense lol. Just like a family of 4 won't buy a 2 seater Porsche, a long haul driver or frequent road tripper won't buy an EV. Nothing to see here, move on lol.
No I totally agree, but there are also people that glorify a battery car as solution for everything when it isn't.

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No I totally agree, but there are also people that glorify a battery car as solution for everything when it isn't.
I don't agree with mandates, but then again regardless of what California stated (EVs only by 2035 or whatever) it's not going to happen. Shit, wasn't realID suppose to be law by 2019 and we couldn't fly without it, now it's been pushed to 2025. Maybe that's where people are rubbed the wrong way? In either case I follow so many car magazine and enthusiast pages (like this one) and like clockwork half the comments are "HAVE FUN WAITING TO CHARGE" or "TRY TOWING 10,000 POUNDS ACROSS THE COUNTRY AND BACK". I just shake my head. I didn't buy a bronco for the track, I didn't buy my BMW for roadtrips, I'm not buying my EV to haul across the country. o_O

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

No hybrid? What a waste, an electric car is fine for city use but no thanks for living out here nor going any great distance.
people cross the country all the time in EVs

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Has anybody ever forgot to charge their phone, cordless power tools, golf cart, etc.:unsure:
I know I have. But in 45 years I never was late forgetting to put fuel in my vehicle.

Sponsored

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Is everyone on here sooo poor that they are 1 car families? And use their off road rig as a daily?
Is anyone not going to pay off their ICE Bronco by 2030?
Just have 2 Broncos and enjoy the benifits of both!

Ill keep my current Bronco daily it now - & slowly build the crap out of it for Global Overlanding.
By the time I have built it for the next 8 years, I wont want to daily it anyway it would only be good for driving around the world on the Spice Road.

in 2030 - Ill buy a BEV Bronco as my daily, and trick it out as a city Bronco to rival the upcoming BEV G-Wagen.

Win! WIn!

Ford Bronco 7th Gen 2030 Bronco Coming End of 2029, Together With Electric Bronco EV (TE1 Platform) Screenshot 2022-12-09 104649

Ford Bronco 7th Gen 2030 Bronco Coming End of 2029, Together With Electric Bronco EV (TE1 Platform) Screenshot 2022-12-09 104728

Ford Bronco 7th Gen 2030 Bronco Coming End of 2029, Together With Electric Bronco EV (TE1 Platform) 2021-ford-bronco-virtually-beefs-up-the-sema-credentials-with-overlanding-dna-168886-7

800daysmap-524x307.jpg

Last edited:

Cetacean Sensation

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco & Bimmer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Has anybody ever forgot to charge their phone, cordless power tools, golf cart, etc.:unsure:
I know I have. But in 45 years I never was late forgetting to put fuel in my vehicle.
I’m gonna be frank here, this is a really stupid argument.

1) If you own an electric car you also own a charger. Getting into the habit of plugging in while getting out of your car is a really easy one to get into.

2) You’ve clearly never met my mom if you can’t fathom the idea of people forgetting to put gas in their cars.

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m gonna be frank here, this is a really stupid argument.

1) If you own an electric car you also own a charger. Getting into the habit of plugging in while getting out of your car is a really easy one to get into.

2) You’ve clearly never met my mom if you can’t fathom the idea of people forgetting to put gas in their cars.
No argument here. Just stating personal experience.
I'll own an EV when the range picks up a little more and more EV trucks and real EV SUV's come to market, as I haven't owned a "car" in 40 years.

2) Your mom and my wife must be related. I swear she hates "in tank" electric fuel pumps.

VNVET

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 king ranch
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

After reading entire thread I went back and looked at each person’s location and the type of vehicles they owned. Kinda explains everything.
But hey, I also own rechargeable stuff. Phones, iPads, can opener, weed eater, flashlight and some other stuff that I can’t remember right now.
Sponsored