Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That has zero to do with battery production and battery technology. It is absolutely true that you will need a magic battery to have a valid replacement to be battery powered only. It’s very simple to understand.
Not magic, but science. The battery in your current phone is smaller and more efficient than it was just a few years ago. We will also see passive charging technology. Parking/driving your car in the sunshine for example
Sponsored

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not magic, but science. The battery in your current phone is smaller and more efficient than it was just a few years ago. We will also see passive charging technology. Parking/driving your car in the sunshine for example
You are confusing refinement for breakthrough. There is no science nor physics that says you can go further. A magic battery will be needed to be a complete replacement for a quick and easy refillable fuel source. So we get to all enjoy having a choice for what we drive. :)

Jeepjoe73

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Next gen Bronco info:

AutoForeCastSolutions has published its comprehensive North American vehicle product map (updated Nov 2022). Their product map has been pretty accurate in the past.

• Current Bronco (U725) end of production: October 2029
  • Next gen Bronco (U765) start of production: November 2029 (ending 2036)
  • Electric Bronco EV / BEV (U800) start of production: November 2029 (ending 2036)
  • 7th gen Bronco will remain on the T6 platform and continue being built at Michigan Assembly Plant
  • Electric Bronco BEV will be built on TE1 platform (shared with Ranger BEV) and built at Blue Oval City in Tennessee

7thgen-2030-bronco-bronco-ev.jpg
Please remove this PDF ASAP. It is NOT legally shared for external users. Please contact me as soon as possible [email protected]

Cetacean Sensation

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco & Bimmer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hey I got my first EV in 2011 and Ive owned 2 since then as commuter cars. Saying that so you know I’m not a TERF or whatever when I say that solar roofs on cars are a red herring for anything other than running the AC while parked.

That’s not a tech thing, just a solar energy flux at the surface of the earth thing. It’s average is about 1.4 kW/m^2. Over an 8 hour work day with 100% efficiency (impossible for a car to even get half that) that will get you maybe 5 miles of range.

Sorry to burst that bubble, but it’s nowhere close to ever being a viable charging solution. And I like to keep the facts straight with these things.

Sponsored

Cetacean Sensation

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco & Bimmer
Your Bronco Model
Base
No argument here. Just stating personal experience.
I'll own an EV when the range picks up a little more and more EV trucks and real EV SUV's come to market, as I haven't owned a "car" in 40 years.

2) Your mom and my wife must be related. I swear she hates "in tank" electric fuel pumps.
Yeah, but you have to admit the comparison is disingenuous yeah?

EVs don’t work for a lot of people - folks who live in apartments are a big example - but there’s no need to just make up situations or bad faith comparisons just because they don’t work for your needs.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is nothing wrong with electric cars. If it were practical to own one I would. But the people who seem to think they are the answer to everything or have no idea how batteries actually work are the annoying ones.
theyre why I roll my eyes, that and EVfanatics tend to be anti-car zealots who want to see ICE banned in general even though theyd be driving Prius’ otherwise if there were no EVs

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I will gladly buy an EV bronco to go with my paid off bronco in several years.

When do order banks open?

Sponsored

Jeepjoe73

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Next gen Bronco info:

AutoForeCastSolutions has published its comprehensive North American vehicle product map (updated Nov 2022). Their product map has been pretty accurate in the past.

• Current Bronco (U725) end of production: October 2029
  • Next gen Bronco (U765) start of production: November 2029 (ending 2036)
  • Electric Bronco EV / BEV (U800) start of production: November 2029 (ending 2036)
  • 7th gen Bronco will remain on the T6 platform and continue being built at Michigan Assembly Plant
  • Electric Bronco BEV will be built on TE1 platform (shared with Ranger BEV) and built at Blue Oval City in Tennessee

7thgen-2030-bronco-bronco-ev.jpg
Remove LINK in main text as well. Please let me know who posted this in the first place. Thanks

RedDawg

Big Bend
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hey I got my first EV in 2011 and Ive owned 2 since then as commuter cars. Saying that so you know I’m not a TERF or whatever when I say that solar roofs on cars are a red herring for anything other than running the AC while parked.

That’s not a tech thing, just a solar energy flux at the surface of the earth thing. It’s average is about 1.4 kW/m^2. Over an 8 hour work day with 100% efficiency (impossible for a car to even get half that) that will get you maybe 5 miles of range.

Sorry to burst that bubble, but it’s nowhere close to ever being a viable charging solution. And I like to keep the facts straight with these things.
Absolutely understand, no bubbles were burst, 😎 but that’s in the framework of today’s technologies.

And that’s my point. 10 years from now there will be breakthroughs; “magic batteries”, ridiculously efficient motors, passive charging systems, wireless charging (Nik Tesla? Your table’s ready) etc.

Or the EV may go the way of fiber optics, and be replaced with an entirely different technology.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Buwahahaha. That’s not how it works. This is not a linear thing. Batteries are about at where they can go. You would need to add more of them to increase range and thus increase charge times. (You can only push so many electrons so fast until the medium you are pushing them is destroyed).

Wy wife’s old volt was fine for charging off of 110. She needed 240 for her current Clarity. And the amount of range she gets in the cold from the batteries is a joke.

There would literally need to be a magic battery created to handle any meaning full distance and charge time. Especially in the real world and real world weather conditions.

Electric cars are fine for short distance and city use but forget about it for any distance or travel/road trip practicality. I’m not saying there is only gas then and only gas now and only gas forever! No, but electric cars will fill a niche for urbanites and something like fuel cell cars will replace gas for others. IMHO. But you still need a magic battery for anything other than the use I outlined above.
Another consideration is that just before thanksgiving our area had a Tesla catch fire on the interstate. The fire departments had a heck of a time putting it out. Said they had to use over 12,000 gallons of water vs 500 for a typical car fire. Said the car kept reigniting. Was absolutely nothing left of the car.

Wonder how much pollution that burning Tesla emitted into the environment during it's 2 hour burn?

Cetacean Sensation

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco & Bimmer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Another consideration is that just before thanksgiving our area had a Tesla catch fire on the interstate. The fire departments had a heck of a time putting it out. Said they had to use over 12,000 gallons of water vs 500 for a typical car fire. Said the car kept reigniting. Was absolutely nothing left of the car.

Wonder how much pollution that burning Tesla emitted into the environment during it's 2 hour burn?
How much total pollution is put out by normal car fires, which are orders of magnitude more common?

Also, there are gas cars that constantly reignite too - anything made with magnesium components.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How much total pollution is put out by normal car fires, which are orders of magnitude more common?

Also, there are gas cars that constantly reignite too - anything made with magnesium components.
Not even close to the same situation.
Sponsored