First Name
Mansour
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 MX5 GT - 2010 MX5 T
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford dealer gave me an estimate of $450 to remove hood, repair ding, paint the chip and blend into hood, and clearcoat entire hood. I think my insurance deductible is $500

Don't let this go on your Carfax.
Sponsored

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Are there
I apologize if this is an idiotic question... but how much do these help? It's just a lip that's slightly more angled up than the hood? I've never had/used one, but as someone who knows nothing about them, I think "There's no way that's deflecting a damn thing..."

And how are they attached? Do they clip onto the hood? 3M permanent adhesive?
It won't stop the arching rock or whatever, but since many items that come shooting back at you hit the "jet stream" (don't know a better way to put it) and follow the wind up and over your grill before they hit your hood or windshield, the rock or the item tends to hit the guard first and bounce off, hopefully higher than the Windshield. Look at a chip, if it's longer then the strike came in at a lower angle and the guard would/may have worked.

I've broken two guards that a bolt or rock hit so hard it broke, but better the $140 guard than if those hit the hood or windshield.

I've had them on all of my trucks and, while not every time, it has stopped a rock or what ever from hitting my trucks many times; and they help with bugs too.

campbebc

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
PPF + Ceramic coat? Can I get the benefits of both? Always been a wax guy but looking into PPF.
Yes you can. PPF with a Ceramic Coat on top will give you better resistance to more severe scratches (PPF+CC), dings (PPF), and be much easier to clean (CC).

Sponsored

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

PPF + Ceramic coat? Can I get the benefits of both? Always been a wax guy but looking into PPF.
I had someone else help me and I won't do the injustice of trying to paraphrase his perfect reply:
Paint Protection Films (PPF) are generally a thick material laid over top of the paint, which are resistant to scratches and have self healing, semi-hydrophobic qualities. If factory paint has a softness rating on a 1-10 scale (10 being a diamond and 1 being a Bronco Sport owner), it would be a 4. Vinyl might make that a 5-6. PPF would be a 6-7.

Ceramic coating is an additional protective layer, which would likely add 1-2 points. So you could Ceramic Coat over a PPF and get the benefits of both, potentially around a 7-8 'hardness' or scratch resistance.

Big heavy and sharp stuff is still going to penetrate the film, but the result will be less damage overall, so easier to touch up and re-wrap that panel.

Different films are made by different companies and vary in quality and cost. Also, the shops that install it need to add in labor, which could vary greatly depending on their level of detail. Some shops will take apart every panel so there's no visible or exposed seams between them. Others will just cut near the panel seams and call it a day to save time.

You'll get what you pay for with this stuff. It's best to trust reviews online and search out the companies with the most satisfied customers.

OP
OP
69 Mach I

69 Mach I

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F-150, '87 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Sucks! Makes me wanna switch my color from A51 to Carb Gray 🙈
Yeah, it definitely sticks out with that bright red. Funny part is, my last 6 or 7 vehicles were white or silver. Thought I'd get a "little crazy" and order something different! LOL

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't let this go on your Carfax.
Ha, Carfax is so inaccurate. Current car was hit by a Semi and it shows accident free. Last car, I was the sole owner when I traded it in and the report showed 3 previous owners.

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Kos, I was helping a friend inspect and buy a used SUV and we could see the clean carfax in the window AND the prior repair on the same door from 30 feet away. It was so big and poorly done, it just screamed at anyone who looked at it.

Needless to say we pointed it out to each from a far and after looking closely at the report that said totally clean, we gave the salesman a load about it.

"What the... is your sales manager, or buyer who ever doing putting that carfax in the window with that obvious poorly done prior repair, are they that bad at their job (paraphrase, without the language) or that dishonest?

"We would never do business with somebody that incompetent or dis-honest, either way that's bad; no way I would have let that slide in one of my condition reports. Let alone, try to tell the customer other wise and that it's never been in an accident..."

"Just look it's in the carfax."

You gotta still check em out, even the new ones, shit happens in shipping and with porters.

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Im getting StarkTech laser shielding for mine.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Mother Nature giveth you the dead dinosaurs to power the Bronco

Mother Nature taketh away the exterior beauty of the Bronco

Just like all relationships

Squatch51

Wildtrak
First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ford dealer gave me an estimate of $450 to remove hood, repair ding, paint the chip and blend into hood, and clearcoat entire hood. I think my insurance deductible is $500
I'm a "paint guy" at a couple dealerships on Austin. That price came out just below $500 for a reason. Noone wants to deal with insurance companies. It's common to price thing just at or below $500 for that reason.
But, to be fair, $450 for a pdr job AND a paint blend and clear for the entire hood is a great price ... if it's done right.

Madmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
T.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Ram 1500/ 2019 VW Passat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Random patio furniture in the middle of the toll road. Truck next to me hit it head on and up and over it went into my truck. Ughhh. Asked the body shop to keep it under $700 and I would pay cash. $725 out the door.
Ford Bronco 8 days old and already damaged by rock - dent and chipped paint 20210419_081258

scape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’m thinking after market hoods might make their way soon, now you have an excuse hah. How big was this rock anyways?
Sponsored