First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco 74 Bronco 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Picked up our Cactus Grey Big Bend 4D MIC top Mid-Luxury package 2.7 eco boost (no sasquatch - ours is an every day driver and will not be going off road) on 7/17, loaded up on 7/24 and went on a 9 day road trip of the south east coast. Wanted to get a good first impression right out of the gate plus play with all the new buttons.

Entire trip was right at 2000 miles. Killed me to put that many miles on it from the start but it was more than worth it.
I left it in Normal GOAT mode the entire trip and averaged 23 mpg over the 9 days.

Started in Lexington NC and drove interstate to Savannah Ga on Day 1 then worked our way up the Ga, SC, NC cost to Holden Beach before returning to Lexington.
The only major highway we were on was from Lexington to Savannah on day 1-- which gave us a great opportunity of road noise at 70+ mph.

Here is what we came away this from our trip.

Cargo Space
- More than enough room in the cargo area with the 2nd row seats up for 2 adults on a 9 day road trip. 2 suit cases, food, drinks, cooler, hanging clothes, etc

Leg Room in back Seat - More than enough. I am 6-2 and a friend of mine is 6-0. I had plenty of room behind the driver seat when he drove it.

Road Noise - Absolute no complaint here. Could have a conversation at a normal voice. I think the radio volume was set on 3 or 4 to drown out the minimal road noise we had.

V8 - I was one of the early cry babies about not having the V8 - We have 302's or 5.0's in all of our early broncos. I am a changed man. the 2.7 ecoBoost is more than enough for us to get moving down the road when we mash on it.

Auto Off Feature - It does have the auto start/stop feature (shuts off at traffic lights) (worst automobile invention ever-not just bronco) which is a complete pain in the tail. I need to figure out how to turn this off permanently. The button on the dash is fine but it is going to get worn out quickly.

MIC top - We did get caught in a pretty heavy down pour while driving and 1 night it monsooned while it was parked. We did not notice any leaks at all.

Removing MIC Top - My wife was easily able to remove the 2 from panels by herself. I dont think each panel weighs more than 15 lbs. We have not taken the entire top or the doors off yet.

We did put the Ford Bronco rubber floor mats in the front and rear floors and the cargo area. The mat in the cargo area covers up the hooks in the cargo floor. The bags for the 2 from roof panels has clasps so they can lock into the hooks in the cargo area but with the cargo mat you cant do that. Would be nice if the cargo mat was cut out for the hooks (mine will be shortly).

Head Rest - The best I can tell is that the head rest does not adjust front to back, only up and down. I found it to be annoying as it just barely touched the back of my head while driving, drove me crazy so I ended up taking it out. My wife doesnt have any issues with it.

Simply put---well worth the wait and worth every single dime.

Hope this helps those that are waiting on delivery.

Delivery Note / Schedule:
We went into production on 7/1 and it was delivered to the dealer in Florence SC on 7/15, picked it up on 7/17.

Ford sight said it was still in production and dealership didnt know it was coming. I got an email on 7/20 saying it had arrived at dealer (3 days after I already picked it up)
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

ilbastarge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Auto Off Feature - It does have the auto start/stop feature (shuts off at traffic lights) (worst automobile invention ever-not just bronco) which is a complete pain in the tail. I need to figure out how to turn this off permanently. The button on the dash is fine but it is going to get worn out quickly.
Helpful hint: learn to play with your pressure applied to the brake pedal. It is absolutely possible to drive with the Auto S/S in it's normal mode and never have it shut off your engine at a light or stop sign.

ex_nyer

Badlands
First Name
Chokes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Land Cruiser, Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the real life update. A great counter to some of the negative stuff we've been reading. But to be I'm getting cranky and a little bit jealous at not having my Bronco as the Summer of 2021 rolls on. Enjoy!

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Helpful hint: learn to play with your pressure applied to the brake pedal. It is absolutely possible to drive with the Auto S/S in it's normal mode and never have it shut off your engine at a light or stop sign.
Or just leave your AC on full fan or LOW temp. One of the benefits of living in the Sonoran desert where it’s 120 out.. it’ll still shut off with AC on otherwise.

Sponsored
OP
OP
STLRFAN

STLRFAN

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Or just leave your AC on full fan or LOW temp. One of the benefits of living in the Sonoran desert where it’s 120 out.. it’ll still shut off with AC on otherwise.
Mystery solved....W couldnt figure out why sometimes it would shut off and other times it wouldnt. it was hotter than 3 hells so the air was on low all during the day on our trip.
thanks

OP
OP
STLRFAN

STLRFAN

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
only other thing i forgot to mention was about running boards.

Since no mud flaps when running boards added the water (and sand in our case) pooled up on the running board and didnt drain off... Been nice to have a little drain hole on the running board to drain them..

We did take the MIC top off today for a sunday stroll and it took me and my wife about 15 minutes. Took longer because we didnt know what we were doing and scared to death to drop the rear clam shell down the side of it.

really nit picking but there isnt really anything major for us we just dont like.

Do your community service -- Buy neck braces and give them to local citizens--no telling how many people snapped there neck trying to get a look :)

ours was the first delivered by the dearlership, first in our entire county and probably in the top 100 for the state based on the july production date. could be wrong but we have not seen another one on the road yet.

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Picked up our Cactus Grey Big Bend 4D MIC top Mid-Luxury package 2.7 eco boost (no sasquatch - ours is an every day driver and will not be going off road) on 7/17, loaded up on 7/24 and went on a 9 day road trip of the south east coast. Wanted to get a good first impression right out of the gate plus play with all the new buttons.

Entire trip was right at 2000 miles. Killed me to put that many miles on it from the start but it was more than worth it.
I left it in Normal GOAT mode the entire trip and averaged 23 mpg over the 9 days.

Started in Lexington NC and drove interstate to Savannah Ga on Day 1 then worked our way up the Ga, SC, NC cost to Holden Beach before returning to Lexington.
The only major highway we were on was from Lexington to Savannah on day 1-- which gave us a great opportunity of road noise at 70+ mph.

Here is what we came away this from our trip.

Cargo Space
- More than enough room in the cargo area with the 2nd row seats up for 2 adults on a 9 day road trip. 2 suit cases, food, drinks, cooler, hanging clothes, etc

Leg Room in back Seat - More than enough. I am 6-2 and a friend of mine is 6-0. I had plenty of room behind the driver seat when he drove it.

Road Noise - Absolute no complaint here. Could have a conversation at a normal voice. I think the radio volume was set on 3 or 4 to drown out the minimal road noise we had.

V8 - I was one of the early cry babies about not having the V8 - We have 302's or 5.0's in all of our early broncos. I am a changed man. the 2.7 ecoBoost is more than enough for us to get moving down the road when we mash on it.

MIC top - We did get caught in a pretty heavy down pour while driving and 1 night it monsooned while it was parked. We did not notice any leaks at all.

Removing MIC Top - My wife was easily able to remove the 2 from panels by herself. I dont think each panel weighs more than 15 lbs. We have not taken the entire top or the doors off yet.

We did put the Ford Bronco rubber floor mats in the front and rear floors and the cargo area. The mat in the cargo area covers up the hooks in the cargo floor. The bags for the 2 from roof panels has clasps so they can lock into the hooks in the cargo area but with the cargo mat you cant do that. Would be nice if the cargo mat was cut out for the hooks (mine will be shortly).

Head Rest - The best I can tell is that the head rest does not adjust front to back, only up and down. I found it to be annoying as it just barely touched the back of my head while driving, drove me crazy so I ended up taking it out. My wife doesnt have any issues with it.

Simply put---well worth the wait and worth every single dime.

Hope this helps those that are waiting on delivery.

Delivery Note / Schedule:
We went into production on 7/1 and it was delivered to the dealer in Florence SC on 7/15, picked it up on 7/17.

Ford sight said it was still in production and dealership didnt know it was coming. I got an email on 7/20 saying it had arrived at dealer (3 days after I already picked it up)
Its not good in an accident to have the head rest removed. I usually just turn mine around so it doesn’t bother me and it’s still there for protection. Congrats on the successful trip!!

BandofEskimoBrothers

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Its not good in an accident to have the head rest removed. I usually just turn mine around so it doesn’t bother me and it’s still there for protection. Congrats on the successful trip!!
This right here. You get in a wreck with no head rest and you are looking at a serious injury. Potentially death (not trying to over dramatize this)

Just turn it around if you have to.

Sponsored
OP
OP
STLRFAN

STLRFAN

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This right here. You get in a wreck with no head rest and you are looking at a serious injury. Potentially death (not trying to over dramatize this)

Just turn it around if you have to.
agree. its back in the seat and I am slowly starting to get used to it. Will try turning it around next time i drive it. thanks

scotts418

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 392
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
agree. its back in the seat and I am slowly starting to get used to it. Will try turning it around next time i drive it. thanks
Unfortunately this isn’t the first opinion I’ve heard about the uncomfortable head rests. I think the leather power seats have ratcheting headrests that are more comfortable, so maybe you’ll be able to find a more comfortable replacement option one day.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I started reading but realized said road trip included no kids. not really a test IMO

No rear facing baby seats, no pack and plays in the trunk, strollers, diaper bags, 2 bags of snacks, 2 bags of toys, dog, collapsible kennel, dog food bag….still waiting on true family road trip test

2 responsible adults with no kids and no pets could do a 9 day trip in a 2 door convertible. I can’t think of a 4 door suv that can’t handle their needs

Last edited:

ELKS1

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F150 1977 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is true I do it all the time in my wife’s CRV.

OP
OP
STLRFAN

STLRFAN

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Unfortunately this isn’t the first opinion I’ve heard about the uncomfortable head rests. I think the leather power seats have ratcheting headrests that are more comfortable, so maybe you’ll be able to find a more comfortable replacement option one day.
I am interested to see other reviews of the higher end models compared to mine. We were going Outerbanks but all of our early broncos are blacked out and we wanted this one to match so we had to drop down to the big Bend to get non-body color door handles and mirrors but then had to add back the mid luxury package to get the heated seats, and stuff. My wife came out of a Tahoe so we tried to get as many options we had on the Tahoe on the Bronco.

That maybe another take away..I spent hours trying to get the right combination due to all the trim levels and what were our must haves and nice to haves.

Ours does not have lane centering but it does have lane alert. So on the dash it tells me I have crossed the line but doesnt center me back. Not sure why FORD didnt take the one extra step to complete the process but I am sure it was saved for the higher end modles.
Sponsored