Sponsored

90% sure I'll be trading this in for a 3rd-4th year run.

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If it won't kill you, I absolutely think waiting is the most prudent route. Within 3 years you will get to see the new 4 Runner, Jeep's response (V8, improved steering, hybrids/electric), possibly even GMCs response, you will get to see the new electric trucks hit the market, you will get to see the new Bronco Raptor, you will see how the power boosts/hybrids are doing in the F150s. Not to mention you will have seen the Bronco in person to see materials, size, colors, etc. Had a chance to test drive it, watch recalls, first year problems, real world performance tests, etc. You will be able to see after market options and how easy or hard it is to upgrade to what you want from a lesser model. Not to mention you likely have the first round of trade-ins and upgrades hitting the market so the opportunity for a well-priced used one would now be in play and dealers would likely be more willing to negotiate on new ones.

Now 3 years is a long time, I certainly understand not waiting. There will always be the hope of next year bringing new upgrades/bells and whistles to market, even 3 years from now. You can play the wait game for years and never get to have fun. It's going to be extremely tough whenever you are passed by a top off bronco! If I was rich, I would buy now and upgrade later. But for those wanting to buy once at a good price, with real world research I think waiting 2-3 years is probably a sweet spot for the Bronco.
Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't think anyone is trying to spin upgrading in 2-3 years as a good financial move. Some people seem to be trying to spin the purchase of buying a Bronco period as a good financial move. Which is like trying to justify a purchase of a boat. It's just a want not a need no matter how you spin it.

Good point about taxes, but I don't pay sales tax. (Oregon.) So that isn't on my radar.

Regardless if in 2 years my dream Bronco comes out I'll be buying it, even at a few grand hit.

In the mean time, I was more musing about spending 48k for something that has slightly more than what I want, vs 35k on something that has slightly less than what I want.
Sure, as long as people acknowledge within the realm of making these sort of costly purchases, there are more or less costly ways of doing it, I'm cool with that.

Also, in terms of want vs need, people fall on different parts of that line. Some people do buy more on the side of need. Those would be people who will have a real world use of the various components and capabilities. Compared to other people for whom it's kind of a play acting thing.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
you can play the wait game for years and never get to have fun.
I would Just buy now and trade it if something better comes out. 3 years is a long time . Waiting 3 years for a Bronco doesn't make much sense unless something special is confirmed to be coming in 3 years.

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I addressed the 10%. I think the options will get more limited, not less. Especially on the 2 Door. i.e. The current BL is as close to what I'll want, and if I don't get one now, it will be hard to find one in 2-3 years. wink wink.
The 90% title just struck me as oddly specific for something with a lot of uncertainty.

Hard to commit that much for something you aren't generally pleased with enough in order to accept a few things not being on your wishlist. I'd be inclined to look to move on after a few years if something I liked better came out even if the financials worked against it somewhat.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I could see the Bronco pickup being a reason I trade. Or the hybrid option. Or a hybrid Bronco pickup. As much as I'd like green as a color option it's not a reason I'd specifically trade in for if I had everything else I wanted. I could also see keeping my 1st year Badlands forever and punching the 2.7L out to 3.0L when it comes time to rebuild it??‍♂ for a little more power.

Sponsored

yocandyce

First Name
Candyce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I too have been toying with waiting a few years. I really would like to see the following before making the plunge: green color option, hybrid, and active drive assist.

My current patch of dirt, and my next patch of dirt, won’t require rock crawling, so badlands/Sasquatch is pretty pointless. It is a ten hour drive to my next patch of dirt (28 hours to current), and it would be nice to have an easier drive.

It’ll also be interesting to see what other options there are by that point. The Bronco does cover about 95% of my needs and wants, which is a darn sight closer than most vehicles.

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think at least one if not both of the Bronco Raptor and a hybrid/power boost powertrain are highly likely to be offered within 3 years. If that's "special" enough to wait/upgrade is going to be up to each individual. Other than that, I agree there won't be too many significant changes.... although I'm still holding out false hope that they make a full size bronco if the smaller one is a hit (although I wouldn't expect that for at least 5+ years if ever).

Zero_chance

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.southvalleymustang.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Eh, Base with Sasquatch, MT, and high package, seems like a pretty broadly appealing package. (Tires are whatever, I don't expect any rig to come with the tires I want.) Car companies aren't trying to use broad-strokes, they are aligning packages to get people to upgrade and spend more.

Hence putting me in a Badlands high-package, even though its got 5k plus worth of stuff I have no interest in, including some stuff in the high package I don't want.
I would argue that YOU are putting yourself in a Badlands with high package, not Ford. They’re simply offering a product.

OP
OP

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it won't kill you, I absolutely think waiting is the most prudent route. Within 3 years you will get to see the new 4 Runner, Jeep's response (V8, improved steering, hybrids/electric), possibly even GMCs response, you will get to see the new electric trucks hit the market, you will get to see the new Bronco Raptor, you will see how the power boosts/hybrids are doing in the F150s. Not to mention you will have seen the Bronco in person to see materials, size, colors, etc. Had a chance to test drive it, watch recalls, first year problems, real world performance tests, etc. You will be able to see after market options and how easy or hard it is to upgrade to what you want from a lesser model. Not to mention you likely have the first round of trade-ins and upgrades hitting the market so the opportunity for a well-priced used one would now be in play and dealers would likely be more willing to negotiate on new ones.

Now 3 years is a long time, I certainly understand not waiting. There will always be the hope of next year bringing new upgrades/bells and whistles to market, even 3 years from now. You can play the wait game for years and never get to have fun. It's going to be extremely tough whenever you are passed by a top off bronco! If I was rich, I would buy now and upgrade later. But for those wanting to buy once at a good price, with real world research I think waiting 2-3 years is probably a sweet spot for the Bronco.
Ha. Half my life is already over. I'm not going to wait.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sure, as long as people acknowledge within the realm of making these sort of costly purchases, there are more or less costly ways of doing it, I'm cool with that.

Also, in terms of want vs need, people fall on different parts of that line. Some people do buy more on the side of need. Those would be people who will have a real world use of the various components and capabilities. Compared to other people for whom it's kind of a play acting thing.
I mean for practical purposes, nobody needs a Bronco.

Do many people need a vehicle to get to and from work? Yes.
Can a Bronco get people to and from work? Yes.
Is anyone's commute to work over the Rubicon Trail? No.

I suppose there are some professional off-roader types who could justify it as a need because it actually creates profits. An owner of an off-road shop maybe. A YouTuber who makes money from off-roading videos.... The Ken Blocks of the off-road world.... etc...

The "value" of the Bronco for me is pure enjoyment, and that is all the justification I need. I do love to see the wheels turning in the minds of some of the married men on this forum.... "Look it has rear AC vents and seating for 5! We NEED this incase it snows on the way to soccer practice!"

IXxMcCoyxXl

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This will be first new vehicle I have ever purchased. God willing also the last

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why buy it at all then? Man if I wasn’t in love with it, I’m not spending 40k plus. It’s not with it... either you love it or you don’t... don’t buy it with the hopes that next year or whenever will be better...Doesn’t make much sense to me... you shouldn’t need to talk yourself into such a large purchase

OP
OP

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why buy it at all then? Man if I wasn’t in love with it, I’m not spending 40k plus. It’s not with it... either you love it or you don’t... don’t buy it with the hopes that next year or whenever will be better...Doesn’t make much sense to me... you shouldn’t need to talk yourself into such a large purchase
Nah, I really like it. Right now its a choice between spending $45k for slightly more than I want or spending 33k for slightly less than I want.
Sponsored