Sponsored

900 Broncos produced a day starting next month?

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

heh, to clear things up, as an arizona resident that's tangentially related to the local construction community, the plant isn't owned by a company in India, it's TSMC (Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Corp). It's getting built at the far north end of the valley, and yes, it's supposed to be producing semiconductors by roughly 2024, from what I heard. Companies like this tend to move here because a fairly reliable electrical grid here, and lots of land. And, if you're smart about it, a decent supply of water (which chip manufacturing uses a LOT of)

We actually have quite a few here, Intel has 2 different fabs, and Motorola had one for the longest time, but I'm not sure where it is now. Microchip technologies is also here, but I'm pretty sure they contract out to TSMC for the manufacturing.
Sponsored

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ok. Approaching two years from pandemic start. Year and a half anyway. Chips ain’t going away. Been scarce for a minute. Stopped production across numerous products. When does the lightbulb go off it’s a good idea?
Not sure. Nobody had any idea how this would unfold, and they still don't. If I have a few billion laying around, I'm not building a chip factory, I'm keeping my billions safe and not risking them on a factory for a product that i currently don't produce.

Nybadlands22

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 badlands, 2013 Shelby, 1965 fastback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
F
Not sure. Nobody had any idea how this would unfold, and they still don't. If I have a few billion laying around, I'm not building a chip factory, I'm keeping my billions safe and not risking them on a factory for a product that i currently don't produce.
Fair point. From what I’ve read though, I’m just the car manufacturing since this is a auto site, with the exception of Tesla, all new cars are requiring more and more chips. I would assume that goes for all electronics going forward. Might not be bad gamble. I even heard of people buying whole computers just to rip out the video cards in them.

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So I heard from a Ford employee that next month Ford is planning 900 new Broncos a day after their chip manufacturing plant in Arizona opens. True?
I don't believe it. Combining Ranger and Broncos built, it appears the most they have done is 520 a day or a little over 250 per shift. It has been the plant can turn out a mix of 1,000 a day when in full production but they have yet been able to get into full production, if they even can. The planned ration was 60% Broncos 40% Rangers. So if we use your 900 would be 540 per day. As far as a chip plant2 years to build one.

OP
OP
JimmyG

JimmyG

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and Cadillacs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't believe it. Combining Ranger and Broncos built, it appears the most they have done is 520 a day or a little over 250 per shift. It has been the plant can turn out a mix of 1,000 a day when in full production but they have yet been able to get into full production, if they even can. The planned ration was 60% Broncos 40% Rangers. So if we use your 900 would be 540 per day. As far as a chip plant2 years to build one.
Yeah it seemed like a stretch to me too, but here's to them ramping it up and producing 900 a day. Fingers crossed!

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Im

I’m not mad. I’m simply asking if it makes business sense for them to come here to make them, why weren’t we already with the current chip crisis? I feel like that a simple, logical question. Is it a lack of tech issue, or they just make them better than someone here could or what?
American business is FUBAR. Most large scale businesses CEOs are just hedge fund managers buying and selling parts of their corporations to increase the stock price.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So, at 900 a day it would take approx. 145-160 (adding in possible downtown) to produce the 125K reserved Broncos. If only Ford could get the supplies needed everyone would be happy, happy, happy. :)

OP
OP
JimmyG

JimmyG

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and Cadillacs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
900 is feasible. They’re adding a third shift at MAP.
MAP can build 1200 vehicles a day with the existing 2 shifts (in theory). So they could do 900 Broncos if they did a 75:25 split with Ranger. Also, they have not hit that number either.

I have seen no evidence that Webasto can make that many tops a day though. Just because they are now building MIC 2.0, does not mean they are building 800-900/day which is needed.

Sponsored

Stu baby

Outer Banks
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Audi
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
MAP can build 1200 vehicles a day with the existing 2 shifts (in theory). So they could do 900 Broncos if they did a 75:25 split with Ranger. Also, they have not hit that number either.

I have seen no evidence that Webasto can make that many tops a day though. Just because they are now building MIC 2.0, does not mean they are building 800-900/day which is needed.
⬆ This exactly. I see no issue with Ford pumping out the Broncos. I do not see hardtops being pumped out at anywhere near the amount to match

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Ok. Approaching two years from pandemic start. Year and a half anyway. Chips ain’t going away. Been scarce for a minute. Stopped production across numerous products. When does the lightbulb go off it’s a good idea?
Just read an article today about how badly the pandemic has exposed Just In Time from consolidated economies of scale single source manufacturers as a risk. I am guessing US companies are pressuring Taiwan suppliers to onshore, and at the same time looking for other producers to diversify their supply chain risk.

Of course then they all decide to build plants in one place ...

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I heard from a Ford employee that next month Ford is planning 900 new Broncos a day after their chip manufacturing plant in Arizona opens. True?
Only you know if you actually heard that or not. None of the rest of us can confirm or deny that you heard anything.

OP
OP
JimmyG

JimmyG

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and Cadillacs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Only you know if you actually heard that or not. None of the rest of us can confirm or deny that you heard anything.
LOL you are correct. And actually I was told this by a very close relative who works at the plant. Take it for what it's worth.