John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trail-Squak, YT Capra 29er & Decoy Mullet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Very cool...couple things:

1. I love what you did with that roof case!! Now I know what I'm doing with that old Yakama case that's been sitting/collecting dust in my garage!

2. Who knew you could move that ugly key pad to the fuel door!?1? I specifically didn't get that option because they are SO ugly (IMO)! Now I'm going to have to get one just so I can put in the fuel door. SO COOL!

Thanks for sharing.
Sponsored

ToddPhil

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@ToddPhil doe your Bronco have th 2.7L? If so that is why. @BarrockOBronco has the 2.3L so his Bronco wheighs less and can have the rack.

@BarrockOBronco Great choice in color. Ther is just something about A51, it just suits the Bronco. Mine is a 2.7 non Sas. I just wanted the Modular top, but settled for the soft with the prep kit. I am actually enjoying the softtop more that I thought I would.
09578b47-1516-4212-8b0c-97fd045c6855.jpg
Forgot about that, yep. Thanks

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Bronco, 11 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Awesome build! How is the tailgate table? Do you notice any noises/rattling? Was looking at getting one of these for mine but wasn't sure if it would rattle.

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

20211217_153615.jpg

20211217_153618.jpg

Key pad installed in the fuel filler door. Cleaner look and a deterrent for people to play with it.
Saw someone do this on the Ranger forum a decade ago.
Don't know why I didn't do it on my 2010.

BeachShredder

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMG c63s, Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is my exact build, other then I got the Lux, haha. Have no idea why, haha. Didn’t get it yet haha. Definitely going to follow your build haha.

keep it coming, haha
Catch my drift haha 😉
Hello all Bronco6g members!

First post on here to hopefully give some insight, ideas, and info.

Have been on here religiously since reserving early, appreciate all the info shared on here, and this forum helped me keep my sanity (and lose it at times haha) throughout the whole process.

This post will include:

-What I am coming from (cough Jeep)
-Bronco Order Specs and thought process
-Pre-Delivery
-Dealer, Wait, Delivery
-Modifications done out the gate
-Initial impressions, opinions, and review post maiden voyage.
-Future modifications.

Coming from a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited:

20210810_180912.jpg

20210808_135603.jpg

Function of my Bronco will be an Overland build and Daily driver.

Ordered a 4-door Badlands Area 51 2.3L Manual High Package Non-Sasquatch.

Thought process was I wanted something out the box ready to go hit the trails, went with 4-door just because of the extra cargo space for overlanding gear, and wanted a manual. To be honest, 2 of the options that forced me to a Badlands were the sway bar disconnect and 12" Screen in the high package. Good job Ford getting me to go to the higher trim haha. Order placed on I believe 7/15 (so long ago I cant remember and for those that will ask haha). After doing the Bronco Off-Rodeo in Nevada in October, not disappointed with my decision. These things are truly capable and I highly recommend going to an Off-Rodeo event to learn, get comfortable, and beat up a rig that isn't yours haha. One could argue its overkill and I wouldn't disagree. Coming from a 98 Jeep I was able to complete some difficult trails with a basic 4x4 setup. That being said I can confidently do all the trails on my bucket list for the Bronco.

Pre-Delivery.

I, like everyone else, lost my mind haha. I would like to thank everyone on here again that shared information and continues to do so. This has been a huge resource for me throughout the waiting process, when I was buying mods blindly haha (and which to not buy), and plan to hopefully give back some info that might help someone else. Here is how pre-delivery went for me.

First time I saw the Bronco in person was in Arizona at Barret-Jackson Scottsdale:

20210321_121953.jpg

At this point I went down a rabbit hole of just digesting as much Bronco information as humanly possible, almost to unhealthy levels haha. Received my VIN and then a monthly email of how my build is delayed. Accepted the fact I'll get it when I get it and that I am lucky to even have a VIN and stopped checking Ford emails. Was on Bronco6g everyday regardless.

Bronco Off-Rodeo Nevada:

20211006_071838.jpg

20211006_080813.jpg

20211006_103134.jpg

20211006_120357.jpg

20211006_134223.jpg

20211006_164656.jpg

Like I already mentioned, highly recommend going to an Off-Rodeo if your able to. Great experience, staff was awesome and knowledgeable, you got to play with a Bronco without the anxiety of it being yours and get hands on. Everybody was just excited to get behind the wheel and we all joked about how we will never get one.

At this point got my build date from my dealer and scheduled for 11/21 build group. Excitement kicked in and ordered a bunch of parts and took on a project of painting an old rooftop carrier Area 51 color:

20211125_162252.jpg

20211125_220645.jpg

20211126_112605.jpg

20211126_160400.jpg

20211126_213028.jpg

20211127_073613.jpg

Fun project and learned a good amount about the painting process. Needs more clear coat to match color better, but good enough for how often and for what it will be used for. All paint and stickers I just google searched. Bronco sticker found on Etsy, Sasquatch sticker on Amazon, and paint was from

https://everestautomotivemarket.com/custom-mixed-paint/ford/ford-area-51-ku/?variation_id=944736

Dealer, Wait, and Delivery:

Dealer I used was D'Orazio Ford 1135 S Water St, Wilmington, IL 60481. Couldn't speak more highly and recommend this dealer. No games or price mark-up at delivery (which I was worried about after reading the unfortunate horror stories on here). Whenever I would come to them with information I learned on here they would investigate and confirm information was accurate and get back to me. Wait was a year and a half from time of reservation and the whole process was less stressful because of the staff here. They even went out of their way with the pre-delivery requests I made. If anyone is thinking of ordering in the Chicagoland/Northern Illinois area I would go here for a seriously enjoyable buying experience and talk to Vince. (Yes, I know how long the wait would be haha).

Delivery came and picked up the Bronco:

20211130_120531.jpg

20211130_120546.jpg

20211130_120232.jpg

Pinching myself at this point...

Modifications done out the gate:

20211206_194718.jpg

KMC Dirty Harry Rims 17x8.5 with 0 offset wrapped in Yokohama Geolander M/T 35x12.5. Crash bars removed up front.

20211207_233135.jpg

I like the little amount of poke from the tires and stance.

20211207_233119.jpg

Threw on roof rack and some lights. Lights from Rough Country. Easy install straight to aux switches. Tons of videos available to show you how to wire.

20211217_153830.jpg

20211217_153835.jpg

20211217_153843.jpg

Ran the Round 4" lights up under and up the grill and then along the engine compartment to the driver side and zip tied to existing wires. Could be done countless ways, this is the cleanest look I got after playing around with it and having a buddy who is a natural mechanic help me. Hard to see from the pictures, but that was the goal.

20211217_153902.jpg

Pods are even easier to install, note where the wire goes into. Need to pop up the plastic and it fits in there nicely and runs into the engine compartment.

20211217_153808.jpg

Boom blaster horn with the horse noise. Worth it for the smiles haha.

20211217_153816.jpg

Currently have:

Aux 1: RC Pod lights
Aux 2: RC 4" Round Lights
Aux 3: Reserved for Amber Diode Dynamics 6" Light bar Fog lights
Aux 4: Reserved for Amber Diode Dynamics 6" Light bar chase lights
Aux 5: Rigid Amber Rock Lights
Aux 6: Boom Blaster Horn

Accessories are easy to switch. Future plans include an air compressor and winch so once I decide on set-up and placement will move accessories around as needed.

20211217_153916.jpg

20211217_153926.jpg

Rough Country Reinforcement, relocation, and 3rd brake light extension. Easy to install. Perfect for current needs and if/when it starts looking worn out I will have an excuse to upgrade with more options to choose from haha. Yes, stock rim/tire bothers me, but the 5th KMC Dirty Harry rim is on back order and patiently waiting for it.

20211217_153942.jpg

20211217_153948.jpg

N-Fab side steps and Ford mud flaps. Took off the rock rails and will be putting those on when I hit the trails. Easy on and off, just a few bolts. Thought here was make it easier for certain family members to get in and out, while also not having to dremel and cut into the mud flaps to accommodate the rock rails. Hoping cheaper options for mud flaps become available. Ford rear mud flaps DO NOT FIT the Badlands. Considered PPE, but too expensive and will just have to deal with the beauty marks.

20211217_153615.jpg

20211217_153618.jpg

Key pad installed in the fuel filler door. Cleaner look and a deterrent for people to play with it.

20211217_153704.jpg

Tail gate table, love how it says Bronco and will meet my needs as a cooking platform or extra table space when out in the wild.

20211217_153641.jpg

Heard mixed reviews on this. My impression is its sturdy, did not make any noise while on my maiden voyage, and is customizable to fit my needs. Waiting for rubber mat to come in to protect the top. As far as stuff falling in the sides or behind it, anything that small I stored inside the drawer and big bags and equipment on top, so wasn't an issue for me. Eventually, would like to mount a fridge slide and more drawers that would be removeable when not needed using 80/20 aluminum, but still in the R&D stage and waiting for summer when I will need to pack before going overlanding to see what I can accomplish.

Initial impressions, opinions, and review post maiden voyage:

20211212_113653.jpg

20211213_105949.jpg

20211213_130047.jpg

20211214_090540.jpg

20211214_165034.jpg

20211215_070646.jpg

20211215_072155.jpg

20211215_072453.jpg

20211215_141922.jpg

20211216_095429.jpg

20211217_013351.jpg

Maiden voyage was from Illinois to Vermont and back. These are just my observations and personal opinions of the experience. Overall love the Bronco and couldn't be happier with how the maiden voyage went. Roughly 42 hours of seat time, 2166.8 miles, and an average of 16.5 mpg. Experienced strong winds of 40-70 mph, icy conditions, rain downpours, sun and snow. Was averaging 18 mpg before I began my drive back and that is when high winds really affected my mpg. Will throw stock wheels/tires back on to see the difference in mpg, just because of personal curiosity and waiting on the backordered KMC wheel. Don't imagine it being significant, the rep where I bought the wheels at said with the larger rotational mass of my setup I am losing 1-2mpg. 20 gallon tank equals roughly 40 miles of range. I know the sasquatch tires would have less rotational mass over my setup due to the tires weighing less, so I would imagine a sas would have slightly better mpg over what I experienced. Due to strong winds, could notice the wind noise and could feel air coming into the Bronco at certain angles. At 70+mph it is noticeable, but I discovered if you set the music to 20 you can jam out and forget all about it haha. Price you pay for a removeable top. Do not have the B&O sound system and on higher volumes it is lacking, but do not usually listen to music that high so it did not bother me. Did not notice any leaks during downpours and have a MIC 2.0. Did not notice any defects either. Infotainment did bug out once on my trip, but reset itself after I turned the car on and off. Easy to use and like I said earlier, I'm a huge fan of the 12" screen. Cameras were helpful at night and in tight spots. Car feels and is wide, just an adjustment period is needed if your coming from a smaller car to know where your at and get comfortable. Interior is a nice place to be, nice materials where your eyes and hands are, cost saving ones where they are not. Seats are extremely comfortable. Happy with the marine grade vinyl, scared to wash out the interior though haha. Heated seats on the highest setting could cook your breakfast. Vertical tach did not bother me as much as I thought it would. Adjusted to it pretty quickly and babied it, not going above 3k. Speedo on the side is redundant. Manual gearbox is easy to use with a soft clutch which has a nice clutch point and engages quickly. Likes to reset to center no matter what gear your in, with 3 being up and 4 down. Once you figure that out and get used to it, throws to 1 or 2 are slightly left and 5 or 6 slightly right. I know I just explained how you shift in a manual, but the reset to center was more noticeable over all other manuals I've driven so thought it was worth a mention. Crawler gear has instant torque, great for traffic haha, and looking forward to actually using it on a trail. 2.3 eco boost felt ample, never going above 3k didn't feel underpowered as long as I was in the right gear. For my intended use happy with the 2.3. Ford and Panda have tunes coming or currently out, so there are options for more power. Center console, placement of buttons, and center storage I was really impressed with. Adjusted to it all quickly and felt like I owned the car longer than I did. Storage in the doors was lacking, but that is why I have the cargo drawer and space in center storage is enough for me. Did not know the manual came with auto start/stop. Thought it was an issue with the motor before I realized I had it haha. Know there is mixed opinions with most people hating it, but can turn it off or just press the clutch and move into gear and engine will stay on. Lane keep assist activated enough to where it didn't feel overpowering. The zone lighting was another feature I was impressed with. Originally got the rock lights to help light up the campsite at night, feel the zone lighting will be a nice additional to that and can be accessed on the Ford Pass app as well. Originally kept experiencing issue with doors and tailgate not properly closing. Once all doors were exercised multiple times problem did not resurface. Did notice a gel that I imagine is used to lubricate locking mechanism, so once that was set problem disappeared. On road felt like a car with IFS haha. Offroad I just teased it and know I will stop before the Bronco does haha. Only thing I wish I had is the trail turn assist. Used it at the Bronco off rodeo, not a gimmick actually useful and hopefully in the future can retrofit it to a manual somehow. This is a vehicle to be used for a specific purpose, so I expected and anticipated to deal with the "complaints" people had about them. None of them are big enough to bother me and a drop in the bucket when you look at the overall picture. Planning on a few overland adventures next year and will keep you guys up to date.

Future Bronco Modifications:

Touched on some of this already, but here are the near future plans:

-Undercarriage sprayed
-Rubber mat to protect cargo drawer from scratches
-License plate relocation kit (already drilled into the front so will just plug up holes)
-Diode Dynamics 6" Amber led light bar fog lights
-Diode Dynamics 6" Amber led light bar chase lights
-Removable overlanding drawer system to be used in conjunction with Ford drawer system. Using 80/20 Aluminum.
-ARB compressor
-Winch (Waiting for some more sleeker/ less bulky options)
-As I stated I am happy with the power, but I will consider tune depending on price and something for amplifying turbo noises. (Completely unnecessary, but sounds cool)
-Recovery gear
The N-fab steps look great. Do you feel any bending or give when you step on them?

Sponsored

karguy08

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

sharing others' opinions here as well, came. to say very nice build so far across wheel choice and the custom carrier top! Also interested in your review of the n-fab steps. I was hoping to get steps that would mount to my current rock rails (only Archetype Stirrups, and they are $$), but going this route may be the best option.

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice writeup and truck. Two comments. First - the photo of your jeep at Imogene Pass sent me looking. Watched a video of someone making the climb in a Jeep. Absolutely no way in hell would I drive up there. Cannot do heights anymore. Second - if your Bronco is the same as my two cars, the gas door locks when car doors are locked. If that's true in your case, and by the look of the pin, it is, then........

Enjoy your Bronco.

ARock0ne

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice bro. Looks great. May I ask: you getting any rubbing with those 35s at 0 offset?

Thanks!

OP
OP
BarrockOBronco
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice looking rig. Mine came equipped with the ford cargo mat...When I installed the drawer, I threw the mat on top. Works extremely well. You may want to look into it vs the cardboard.

d1.jpg
Nice, wish I knew that fits on top. Have a rubber mat I cut to size, but might be adding that in the future now.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BarrockOBronco
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Congrats! Your Bronco looks great. Thanks for the write-up and the pictures. Hearing all about it just makes me regret going with the base. I just knew that 360 camera would be terrific. :cry:

Oh well, I'll have to learn to drive it old school. 🤷‍♀️
All the bells and whistles is nice, but nothing wrong with going old school haha.

OP
OP
BarrockOBronco
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very nice build and mods.
Very close to mine yet to be delivered.
Thanks for the write up!.

one question….why don’t Ford mudflaps rear fit Badlands?
Very nice build and mods.
Very close to mine yet to be delivered.
Thanks for the write up!.

one question….why don’t Ford mudflaps rear fit Badlands?
You could make them work, but they do not sit right on the modular rear bumper.

IMG_8479.jpg

OP
OP
BarrockOBronco
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok, I am at a loss as to how you got the roof rails and crossbars. PLEASE tell me because I couldn't order them and now no one has them to order aftermarket.

Love the rig, just picked mine up yesterday and am trying to figure it all out. You might recognize this, minus the roof rails....

Ford Bronco A Bronco Badlands Story, Impressions, Trip(s) & Build (Updated) IMG_8479
Dumb luck? Not sure haha. Hope your able to find them and I know there are a few in the works in the aftermarket.

OP
OP
BarrockOBronco
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great job on the review and build! Did you move the keypad from the stock location to the inside of the gas tank door? Or was it shipped loose or an aftermarket key pad?
I asked my dealer to install it there.
Sponsored