Sponsored

A Bronco Sport is a Bronco (...to the average buyer)

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Seems to be Fords new plan. Use their stronger names to sell average vehicles.

Calling the revival of the old Escape a Bronco Sport and an electric crossover a Mustang ? is how they are gonna sell these things.

Many people don't see past the name. There's ? people out there who legitimately think the Mach E is a Mustang. It's absolutely going to help sales.

The F series is a whole lineup and sells great. Honestly, I wouldn't be too upset if Ford dropped the Ranger name and called it an F100. Then bring Ranger back as a trim level like it used to be.

These people can drive their Mach E or Sport and brag to others about their Mustang or Bronco and the average consumer won't know the difference. We will, though and we can laugh at them.

People have been upbadging forever, the manufacturer is just doing it for them now. Don't get me wrong, I actually think both are good vehicles. They just have the wrong names.
Serious question: If a Mustang, that happens to have 4 doors (but can go 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and beat my manual transmission 2016 Mustang on a track too) cannot be called a "real Mustang", how can any Bronco with 4 doors be called a Bronco?

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I dunno, I saw one of these at a dealership and its a really cool little car. If there was not 2 or 4 door Bronco I would get one. They are more then capable for almost anyone and I think would be fun to drive. Just a little small for me. I think I would have really enjoyed the Bronco Sport in Highschool and College instead of the Explorer I drove. I do not think any one should down play the Bronco Sport and claim its not a "real Bronco"

ronstar

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Bronco Sport looks like a Ford Escape to me. I would never buy one. I need something that has a removable roof.

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I actually think you are right in your assumption. The vast majority of the mainstream population hasn't kept up with Bronco news like we have. So, when the majority of people start seeing Bronco Sports on the pavement, all they know is that the "Bronco" was supposed to be relaunched around this time. So the majority of people (many of which have their heads in the sand) might mistake the Sport for the Big Boy Bronco. With that being said, I don't consider the Sport to even be a Bronco. I think they are nice and all and very capable, but the Sport is not a Bronco. It's kind of like considering the new Chevy Blazer as a true "Blazer". It's not. You can have the name, but that doesn't mean it is what it's badged as. Then again, I don't consider the 4-Door Big Bronco to be a Bronco either, but that's just me.

Sponsored

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Serious question: If a Mustang, that happens to have 4 doors (but can go 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and beat my manual transmission 2016 Mustang on a track too) cannot be called a "real Mustang", how can any Bronco with 4 doors be called a Bronco?
It's less about having 4 doors and more about being a damn crossover with a Mustang emblem. There's nothing Mustang about it. There's zero Mustang in the Mach E. Maybe like 2% if you count the taillights.

The 4 door Bronco is a Bronco in every sense aside from being just slightly longer. Shoot, the aftermarket has been building them for decades already.

Dajosh

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 2018 Hyundai Tucson 1967 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If I put a Corvette badge on my Mustang, does it make it a corvette? My point is, it is just a name. Perception is that persons reality.

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was knida making a funny to soften the blow of calling you out for being exclusionary.
Caught the joke after my hasty reply. I will accept the Sport as part of the Bronco brand/family, but it is still the little cousin that wishes it was a Bronco.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's less about having 4 doors and more about being a damn crossover with a Mustang emblem. There's nothing Mustang about it. There's zero Mustang in the Mach E. Maybe like 2% if you count the taillights.

The 4 door Bronco is a Bronco in every sense aside from being just slightly longer. Shoot, the aftermarket has been building them for decades already.
If I put a Corvette badge on my Mustang, does it make it a corvette? My point is, it is just a name. Perception is that persons reality.
What makes a Mustang a Mustang or a Bronco a Bronco?
Until 2020, a core element of BOTH vehicles was 2-doors.

The fact that the new Mach-E can beat my 2016 Mustang on the track... regardless of number of doors (or even the fact that it is electric), makes it a Mustang. And I would give it more than 2% of the same look. It looks similar from both the front and the back. I think its like the Porsche cross-overs.. you can tell they are Porsches, but they are not 911s. And they actually outsell the 911s.

Dajosh

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 2018 Hyundai Tucson 1967 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What makes a Mustang a Mustang or a Bronco a Bronco?
Until 2020, a core element of BOTH vehicles was 2-doors.

The fact that the new Mach-E can beat my 2016 Mustang on the track... regardless of number of doors, makes it a Mustang.
That was my point too. A name is just a name.

Sponsored

BHShaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Bronco Sport is as much a Bronco as the Bronco II.
Brands evolve. If they are making the "Bronco" their outdoor brand and the escape/edge their mall shoppers. I am cool with that.

As it is, the Bronco Sport looks good enough that my Wife compares it the Range Rover, and so thinks the price is a steal. As soon as they come out with a Partial EV version (she loves her Energi), I have no doubt I can get her into one.

Score One for Ford.

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
That’s a lot like saying I just bought a blazer hoping it was this and got this

C51A1BAE-A017-43DD-BCE9-A67B5173A750.jpeg

F0FB3926-6F0C-4194-B082-AF9739E5F565.jpeg
I don't think the Bronco Sport looks like an average SUV. To me, it looks very much like a smaller version of the Land Rover Defender which just came out with a lot of hype/critical acclaim and has worldwide "credibility" as a legitimate off road vehicle.

I feel like they paid a lot of attention to the design of the Sport and did not just rebadge an Escape. It looks completely different to me, both inside and out.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My friends call me every time they see a sport at a dealership.

Them: (Insert dealership) has the new bronco.
Me: No, they don’t.
Them: Yes, they do I just saw it.
Me: That’s a bronco sport.
Them: Isn’t that what you wanted??
Me: (Eye roll) No, there’s another one that’s just a bronco. Looks like the old ones, two doors.
Long pause...
Them: They don’t have one like that!
Me: (double eye roll)

...thanks for calling.
Oh God I have already had two friends do this exact same thing ,LOL . Another at work asked why I didn't have my Bronco yet since he knew I had pre-registered for one .
Sponsored