Sponsored

A Bronco Sport is a Bronco (...to the average buyer)

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah my buddy and his girlfriend were giving me a hard time for driving an hour to see the two door Badlands in person when they saw “a new bronco” at the grocery store 5 minutes from where I live.

They saw a Sport. They figured out why I made the drive after I showed them my pictures and video and they will not be making the mistake again.
Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don't think the Bronco Sport looks like an average SUV. To me, it looks very much like a smaller version of the Land Rover Defender which just came out with a lot of hype/critical acclaim and has worldwide "credibility" as a legitimate off road vehicle.

I feel like they paid a lot of attention to the design of the Sport and did not just rebadge an Escape. It looks completely different to me, both inside and out.
Considering the new Defender is a generic box ,that's not saying much. :LOL:

I'll give Ford credit for distancing the Sport from the current Escape. I was afraid they would use the same windshield and doors to save a buck, but it looks like they were serious about it. Too bad they gave it the Bronco Sport name. Sub-brands don't work. You think Ford would have learned that lesson with Bronco II.

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Considering the new Defender is a generic box ,that's not saying much. :LOL:

I'll give Ford credit for distancing the Sport from the current Escape. I was afraid they would use the same windshield and doors to save a buck, but it looks like they were serious about it. Too bad they gave it the Bronco Sport name. Sub-brands don't work. You think Ford would have learned that lesson with Bronco II.
My counter-argument re: "Sub-brands don't work" is Porsche. Everyone thinks Porsche = 911. However, the 4-door Porsches now outsell it by a wide margin.

Actually the same thing with the Jeep too! Non Wrangler Jeeps (collectively) outsell the Wrangler.

With both brands, people want a the brand name, but not the actual iconic vehicle.

Will the Mach-E outsell the traditional Mustang or even if the Bronco Sport outsell the bigger Bronco?

Pie Grande

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco (eventually)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I co
Tweet from Jim Farley (Ford CEO):

Seems like many will walk in into a dealer wanting a Bronco and drive out with a Bronco Sport. It may be a much better fit for a lot of people, who just want to feel more comfortable in their vehicle the 10 days a year when the snow is bad and want to have a vehicle that can get then to the trail head to bike (but not actually do the trail WITH their vehicle) or maybe the lake to kayak.

I know we are all enthusiasts here for the BRONCO and think of of the Bronco Sport as a completely different vehicle, but does the average buyer think of it that way? Realistically, how big of a hit will the Bronco Sport be? Will it actually be more popular than the Bronco, long term?

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 8.36.52 AM.png
I completely agree, a bronco sport is an adventure-mom-car-Ford-Escape
and a Bronco is for us enthusiasts

Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The BL is pretty capable truck. Hmmm...truck? might not be right for the leetle one....Anyway, very capable with limited slip and usual GOAT settings. They're very well thought out, was impressed seeing one. Would I give up wife's RAV for one? Naaah, but if I didn't care about roof/door removal, I might consider. The BL has a decent sized engine, the others I wouldn't even consider.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

People questioning whether the Bronco Sport is worthy of the Bronco Name Should watch This:

Ok nothing against the baby bronco, but here's a Kia Sorrento doing it too ...

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

brocotect

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Your Bronco Model
Base
My friends call me every time they see a sport at a dealership.

Them: (Insert dealership) has the new bronco.
Me: No, they don’t.
Them: Yes, they do I just saw it.
Me: That’s a bronco sport.
Them: Isn’t that what you wanted??
Me: (Eye roll) No, there’s another one that’s just a bronco. Looks like the old ones, two doors.
Long pause...
Them: They don’t have one like that!
Me: (double eye roll)

...thanks for calling.
So when your friends take a moment of their day to share something with you your response is to treat them like shit rather then explain the difference.

Good friend.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My counter-argument re: "Sub-brands don't work" is Porsche. Everyone thinks Porsche = 911. However, the 4-door Porsches now outsell it by a wide margin.

Actually the same thing with the Jeep too! Non Wrangler Jeeps (collectively) outsell the Wrangler.

With both brands, people want a the brand name, but not the actual iconic vehicle.

Will the Mach-E outsell the traditional Mustang or even if the Bronco Sport outsell the bigger Bronco?
Porsche is a brand though. They don't have the Porsche 911 and the Porsche 911 Sport (a reworked Golf).

Here is where Ford will have a problem. The off-road goodies that make the Bronco kick (see what I did there) could be filtered down to other Fords. Ranger being the easiest. However, if Ford's SUV and truck lineup gets more off-road grunt, then what does another Bronco model get to differentiate itself from Ford SUVs? Rebadging Fords as Broncos just to add GOAT mode is not going to cut it for long ($$$). The smart play is for Ford SUVs and trucks to have an edition (Wildtrak?) that has a little Bronco in it. Think of it as SVT or Shelby for Ford SUVs and trucks. The Ford Explorer Wildtrak with a little bit of "Wild" in it from Bronco would go a long way to give that vehicle Grand Cherokee Trailhawk-like street cred without sacrificing its current position in the market.

I have no beef with the Bronco Sport as a vehicle. Only the name. We may not agree on this, but we can at least agree on Bronco! :)

Sponsored

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Serious question: If a Mustang, that happens to have 4 doors (but can go 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and beat my manual transmission 2016 Mustang on a track too) cannot be called a "real Mustang", how can any Bronco with 4 doors be called a Bronco?
Well just to play devils advocate here, that's a much larger change to a vehicle instead of just adding doors. They made it an SUV. That would be like making the Bronco a 2 door sports car

What ford should have done, is just used Mustang styling cues, and just called it Mach-E. There would be less backlash I think.

And someone else said it best, the Bronco Sport is not a Bronco, but a member of the Bronco family

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Porsche is a brand though. They don't have the Porsche 911 and the Porsche 911 Sport (a reworked Golf).

Here is where Ford will have a problem. The off-road goodies that make the Bronco kick (see what I did there) could be filtered down to other Fords. Ranger being the easiest. However, if Ford's SUV and truck lineup gets more off-road grunt, then what does another Bronco model get to differentiate itself from Ford SUVs? Rebadging Fords as Broncos just to add GOAT mode is not going to cut it for long ($$$). The smart play is for Ford SUVs and trucks to have an edition (Wildtrak?) that has a little Bronco in it. Think of it as SVT or Shelby for Ford SUVs and trucks. The Ford Explorer Wildtrak with a little bit of "Wild" in it from Bronco would go a long way to give that vehicle Grand Cherokee Trailhawk-like street cred without sacrificing its current position in the market.

I have no beef with the Bronco Sport as a vehicle. Only the name. We may not agree on this, but we can at least agree on Bronco! :)
Well, I can remember the 914. What a joke. At least the Boxster looked like a Porsche.

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Last edited:

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Bronco Sport is as much a Bronco as the Bronco II.
Brands evolve. If they are making the "Bronco" their outdoor brand and the escape/edge their mall shoppers. I am cool with that.

As it is, the Bronco Sport looks good enough that my Wife compares it the Range Rover, and so thinks the price is a steal. As soon as they come out with a Partial EV version (she loves her Energi), I have no doubt I can get her into one.

Score One for Ford.
I was staying on the sidelines on this one until the Bronco II comment..

The Bronco II was more of a Bronco then the 1978-1996 FS Broncos by far. Same dimensionally, power, and off road ability.

EDIT: I think Ford should limit use of the Bronco name to body on frame vehicles.

Last edited:

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Well, I can remember the 914. What a joke. At least the Boxster looked like a Porsche.
Well, only in the US was it was sold as the Porsche 914, in its home and Europe as the VW-Porsche 914. They used it to increase their market using the cachet of the Porsche name and you see what it got them.
Sponsored