Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Explorer ST, ā€˜19 GT350, ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Seems the main concerns I've picked up from reading articles are:

a) lower control arms - exposed bolts could potentially shear when wheeling
b) tie rods - too small / skinny
c) coolant hose not clamped well / rubs on exposed bolt inside which can cause leaking
d) the panel alignment / paint issue in some spots
e) MIC hard top 2.0 weathers faster than expected with exposed edges

A+B are wheeling specific - just need to be careful there, C I'll def check myself when I pick up mine (sometime in 2052 I think)... D+E - not sure what you can really do.
Just my two cents but ford spent a long time and many months If not years wheeling these things pretty hard and ran into none of these ā€œpotentialā€ problems. Keep that in mind. No need to solve for something that probably hasnā€™t or wonā€™t happen.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On my jeep, I used Eastwood Internal Frame coating and every fall/winter before cold weather hits, I coat everything under the tub with Fluid Film. With this practice, in 5yrs living in CO after moving from FL, I have zero rust. They use mag chloride on the roads out here in CO.

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems the main concerns I've picked up from reading articles are:

a) lower control arms - exposed bolts could potentially shear when wheeling
b) tie rods - too small / skinny
c) coolant hose not clamped well / rubs on exposed bolt inside which can cause leaking
d) the panel alignment / paint issue in some spots
e) MIC hard top 2.0 weathers faster than expected with exposed edges

A+B are wheeling specific - just need to be careful there, C I'll def check myself when I pick up mine (sometime in 2052 I think)... D+E - not sure what you can really do.
The tie rods on the Bronco are the same size as the ones on the Raptor. I haven't seen any issues with those. I know there is the one Bronco on 37s that snapped but other than that there have been a number of Broncos doing some hard wheeling with 35s and 37s and not breaking tie rods

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just my two cents but ford spent a long time and many months If not years wheeling these things pretty hard and ran into none of these ā€œpotentialā€ problems. Keep that in mind. No need to solve for something that probably hasnā€™t or wonā€™t happen.
I agree with this fully.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sounded pretty positive. The only concern that stuck out to me is the following. In humid norther climates where heavy road salting is used in the winter this could be a bad thing.
At the 8:18 minute mark, the reviewer mentioned the new Bronco main boxed frame rails have holes for water to get out. That is key over the long term for rust prevention.

Jeep failed miserably with their TJ frame rails by not putting drain holes in the bottom of the rails. That allowed water and crud to collect inside the center sections of the rails, rusting them out from the inside.

If Ford ever produces a 2-door Bronco for me to buy, I'll inspect the frame rails, and if needed drill a few drain holes in the bottom of the rails. Also in the rust belt, consider spraying the inside of the rails with some oil or lanolin compound.

Triceratops

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 speed Huffy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ā€˜Iā€™m going to give you a mechanicā€™s point of view, something you might not hear about. The front bumper is modular.ā€™
Seriously... and really worried about the location of the washer fluid bottle as it may cause rust on the........ aluminum fenders...

stonerdoom

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounded pretty positive. The only concern that stuck out to me is the following. In humid norther climates where heavy road salting is used in the winter this could be a bad thing.
What is that exactly as this will be me in f'n Chicagoland. šŸ˜”

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco. Sold the 1968 and 2015 mustang GTs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

the other thing he was hung up on was the uneven gaps around the panels and doors. I couldnā€™t see them. Anyone notice this in person?
My BL was built in July and I got it early August. The gaps in the doors, hood and tailgate are all about perfect. No major defects found.

Sponsored

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've watched him for years. Honestly if he says he would buy one, it is a good vehicle. That being said, it was a one day review. 10 years down the road he will probably stuff a 4bt in one.
Iā€™m a 4bt guy
Done swaps
67 Jeep m715
42 dodge wc53
3 80ā€™s broncos and

there is a couple neat other Cummins packages availabe
Done wrenching though I think

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On my jeep, I used Eastwood Internal Frame coating and every fall/winter before cold weather hits, I coat everything under the tub with Fluid Film. With this practice, in 5yrs living in CO after moving from FL, I have zero rust. They use mag chloride on the roads out here in CO.
Awesome! I have been searching for a product like this, as I am sick of working on perma-rusted suspensions and even sicker of seeing rust developing on visible suspension components that are less than a year old. (Yucky Michigan)

ExJeePowner

Big Bend
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I latched onto that too.

My Location: Chicago
šŸ˜
Have you looked at underbody sprays? I have done all my vehicles since I was 18. It is worth it. I am talking oil btw...not some weird coating. Some mechanics ask why the hell there is oil all over the place.

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 1994 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fluid Film is great stuff. I always have a can or two in my Garage.

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Ford Excursion, 79 Ford Bronco, 04 Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Whereā€™d this info come from?

Iā€™d like to hear more about the tie rod and steering rack options.
Sponsored