Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I agree, I think its largely ignored that a huge number of people buy wranglers just because its an SUV that you can take the top off of
Sponsored

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
which begs the question. What is the point of the bronco sport? They could have made that car open air like the other broncos/wranglers without the offroad stuff and sold a trillion of them at 20/25k or even less
Maybe they're going after the Subaru crowd.

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

which begs the question. What is the point of the bronco sport? They could have made that car open air like the other broncos/wranglers without the offroad stuff and sold a trillion of them at 20/25k or even less
Because of perceived value.

My wife drives a Fiesta ST, many people just see a Fiesta. Same base name completely different car. Neither I nor my wife care that people think it is just a Fiesta but many people do, NTTAWWT.

TXRancher

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From a Marketing standpoint, breaking into a new market segment requires one of two things. Either a lower cost for a similar product or a better product for a similar cost. Jeep has had total control of this market segment for decades and taking market share away will not be easy. Sure there is a percentage of brand loyal buyers who will buy at any price but that is rarely enough to support the market segment. Since I keep reading that the Bronco is going to be more feature rich than the Jeep, pricing should be similar to the Jeep. Jeep has been alone in this segment so certainly their profit margin is high. Assuming relatively equal production cost, Ford has room to sell a feature rich product at a price that make the Bronco a good value and still make a healthy profit.

The real challenge comes when Jeep makes the decision on their pricing once they see how the Bronco competes. Again, assuming Jeep makes a good deal of profit on each Wrangler, they have plenty of room to bring down price or alternately they start making more features standard to cut into the gap between vehicles. By the second model year, we should know how the competition for buyers will be fought.

That is my $.02 based on my Marketing degree.

Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From a Marketing standpoint, breaking into a new market segment requires one of two things. Either a lower cost for a similar product or a better product for a similar cost. Jeep has had total control of this market segment for decades and taking market share away will not be easy. Sure there is a percentage of brand loyal buyers who will buy at any price but that is rarely enough to support the market segment. Since I keep reading that the Bronco is going to be more feature rich than the Jeep, pricing should be similar to the Jeep. Jeep has been alone in this segment so certainly their profit margin is high. Assuming relatively equal production cost, Ford has room to sell a feature rich product at a price that make the Bronco a good value and still make a healthy profit.

The real challenge comes when Jeep makes the decision on their pricing once they see how the Bronco competes. Again, assuming Jeep makes a good deal of profit on each Wrangler, they have plenty of room to bring down price or alternately they start making more features standard to cut into the gap between vehicles. By the second model year, we should know how the competition for buyers will be fought.

That is my $.02 based on my Marketing degree.
I agree with this as well. I think Jeep fans should be hoping that the Bronco lives up to the hype and then some, will get Jeep to really pursue making a better wrangler and/or bring the price down some to keep market share.

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the "Bronco is vastly superior than the Jeep" is code for "get ready for a higher price".

Not saying it won't be justified - for what you get - but I'm not sure how many buyers there are who can afford to pay MORE than the Jeep but aren't able to pay Land Rover prices.

Jeep is one type of lifestyle. Land Rover is another kind of lifestyle.

Is Ford hoping they can fit in the middle? And is there a big market for that?

**I agree with some that the 200,000 units sold in 2021 is supposed to include the cheaper / less desirable Bronco Sport.

To quote a line from 1986's Aliens: "I got a bad feeling about this op".

vintage

First Edition
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I think the "Bronco is vastly superior than the Jeep" is code for "get ready for a higher price".

Not saying it won't be justified - for what you get - but I'm not sure how many buyers there are who can afford to pay MORE than the Jeep but aren't able to pay Land Rover prices.

**I agree with some that the 200,000 units sold in 2021 is supposed to include the cheaper / less desirable Bronco Sport.

71cyAJfBxoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base

I think you may be right. But who knows. I think ford is also going for those people who want MORE out of their Jeep.
I mean Jeeps best engine doesn’t crack 300lbft. All of fords will. And have better standard equipment.
The number of raptors and ST explorers I see on a regular basis is astonishing. I think ford is going hard at that 50-70k suv market, which aside from a HUGE full sized suv and the Grand Cherokee SRt is pretty empty .

Sponsored

vintage

First Edition
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I think you may be right. But who knows. I think ford is also going for those people who want MORE out of their Jeep.
I mean Jeeps best engine doesn’t crack 300lbft. All of fords will. And have better standard equipment.
The number of raptors and ST explorers I see on a regular basis is astonishing. I think ford is going hard at that 50-70k suv market, which aside from a HUGE full sized suv and the Grand Cherokee SRt is pretty empty .
At $50k - $70K it better be vastly superior to my Rubicon. Might be talking Raptor or King Ranch territory if I going to spend that amount of coin.

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
At $50k - $70K it better be vastly superior to my Rubicon. Might be talking Raptor or King Ranch territory if I going to spend that amount of coin.
$50k will be a rubicon style Bronco (good suspension big tires low gears etc) with ford safety stuff and the 2.7.
An absolute beast The 60-70k will likely be the raptor / Rock king/ Warthog/ tremor 3.0 range

I expect the 3g f150 raptor to jump up in price a bit.

vintage

First Edition
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

$50k will be a rubicon style Bronco (good suspension big tires low gears etc) with ford safety stuff and the 2.7.
An absolute beast The 60-70k will likely be the raptor / Rock king/ Warthog/ tremor 3.0 range

I expect the 3g f150 raptor to jump up in price a bit.
Sounds like I'll be spending $60k - $70k on my next vehicle. Hopefully the Monster Edition comes out sooner than later, my trigger finger is getting itchy for a new 4 x 4.

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
***** UPDATED

To include the reveal date
As well as pictures!
Very informative - thank you for all the work in putting that together - and keeping it updated. After reading the whole history of the Bronco now I am more anxious than ever for the Reveal! 24 days and 14 hours - I have to try to not watch that countdown timer any more - makes the time seem even longer. I'm going out to get an Anchovy Pizza!
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.