Sponsored

A Few Things After Driving Around With the Top and Doors Off.

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So, I'll point out a few of my observations after removing the doors and roof, and driving around. Let me start by saying I have a 2 door, because the 2 door doors are bigger and heavier than the 4 door doors.
First off, the doors are super easy to remove by yourself. Two bolts, unclip the wire harness, ignore dash chime, and away you go. I don't have the door bags, but I will probably get them or make my own. So after taking them off, use caution setting them down, every surface, and edge is painted so be careful. Now, putting ON the doors alone is a totally different story. It's super clumsy and although the guide on the bottom hinge helps, I'd rather have two guides, or if only one, then a guide on top. Aligning it and trying to see alone was stressful and tiring. I had to grab my neighbor to help me with the passenger door. The driver door literally gassed me alone.
Secondly, my MIC seems fine so far, although no rain here in LA yet. It may never rain here again. Haha. But seriously, the two top roof halves over the driver and passenger remove easily and I store them in the back of the Bronco with rear seats down. I may delete rear seats completely. TBD for now. I don't use the free roof bag. It's kind of a turkey to use, and it's not that good. I wrap them in a furney pad and even on twisties, they don't flop around back there. Putting them back on is a breeze too. I find it easiest to grab left and right sides of the roof, and set in place, rather then grab in middle and have to jump your hand under the roll bar. You'll see what I mean when you try it. They don't pop or squeak when they are on and I'm driving around. The closures are very crisp and feel tight.
Thirdly, driving around in it with top off and doors off is a blast. I'm used to an open feeling because I ride motorcycles as well. It gets VERY windy. No baseball or trucker hats for you when you go open cockpit. Another thing to address is the passenger floor mats. I got the carpet mats with my Wildtrak trim level. The carpet mats will flop around with doors off from the wind! I was on the freeway, and just the plastic pin was holding it in. People driving beside me were like what? So I applied a bit of hook sided Velcro to the top back of the mats, and that grabs the floor carpet, and should hold it fine. A little bit is all you need dont go crazy with two feet of 2" Velcro.
So, in conclusion, I'm really happy with it. I recommend everyone try taking off the doors at least once, and that everyone take the roof off as much as they can!! Happy wheeling! Get a door buddy, and fix the mats and you're good to go.

What are all of your thoughts after taking off your doors and roofs? I'd love to hear what you all have discovered or any door tricks. Thanks.
Sponsored

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What are all of your thoughts after taking off your doors and roofs? I'd love to hear what you all have discovered or any door tricks. Thanks.
I found that with my 2 door it was easiest to grab the driver door with my left arm holding the exterior handle and right arm under the grab area on bottom interior side and then aligning the top bolt and then bottom. Once I got the hang of it after 2 times it takes me less than 5 minutes for both doors and super easy. The key for me was to hold exterior handle with one arm and interior grab area with other to help stabilize it. I was surprised at how light the door was.

OP
OP
Roll Sound

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I found that with my 2 door it was easiest to grab the driver door with my left arm holding the exterior handle and right arm under the grab area on bottom interior side and then aligning the top bolt and then bottom. Once I got the hang of it after 2 times it takes me less than 5 minutes for both doors and super easy. The key for me was to hold exterior handle with one arm and interior grab area with other to help stabilize it. I was surprised at how light the door was.
Yeah, I did a little but was worried about putting all the weight on the handle, but I guess that's ok. I grabbed the inside handle too, to try that. The interior door panel wobbles a little doing that.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah, I did a little but was worried about putting all the weight on the handle, but I guess that's ok. I grabbed the inside handle too, to try that. The interior door panel wobbles a little doing that.
Yea I was worried at first about the wright on the exterior handle but most of the weight is toward the front of the door so I pretty much just use the exterior handle to stabilize the door while holding and never lift with that handle.

Ryan05055

Base
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I scratched the hell out of my drivers door trying to put it back on the first time. Took me over an hour with a friend! Worst part is, my jeep buddy was putting his doors on at the same time and he had it done in 2 minutes. :rolleyes:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Roll Sound

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I actually rashed my drivers door a tiny bit, but luckily its on the inside of the lip by the hinges so you can’t really see it. I was all stressed out! Haha!

OP
OP
Roll Sound

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What do I know about design but I've had it three days, and I already figured out that if both door bolts went on from the bottom, there could be permanent door aligners in each hinge and allow for easy drop in then bolt fastening. Plus you have to align that silly square peg just right for the door to fall the last 3 or 4 mm.

Blueoval

Badlands
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Explorer & 2010 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I actually rashed my drivers door a tiny bit, but luckily its on the inside of the lip by the hinges so you can’t really see it. I was all stressed out! Haha!
I learned the hard way about why they include the rubber pieces to put on the lip of the doors for removal/install. I now know EXACTLY where to put them since I am missing paint.

Poolboy1637

Big Bend
First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I learned the hard way about why they include the rubber pieces to put on the lip of the doors for removal/install. I now know EXACTLY where to put them since I am missing paint.
So that's what those are for...

Poolboy1637

Big Bend
First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I did mine for the first time the other day and I was surprised at how simple the whole process was. I found when putting the doors back on it was easiest to move the door to what seemed like an extremely wide open angle and everything lined up and slid back into place nicely.

Sponsored

Jruta

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A51 Bronco 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Where do you find these rubber pieces?

RYD003

Outer Banks
First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY23 Bronco OB
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So, I'll point out a few of my observations after removing the doors and roof, and driving around. Let me start by saying I have a 2 door, because the 2 door doors are bigger and heavier than the 4 door doors.
First off, the doors are super easy to remove by yourself. Two bolts, unclip the wire harness, ignore dash chime, and away you go. I don't have the door bags, but I will probably get them or make my own. So after taking them off, use caution setting them down, every surface, and edge is painted so be careful. Now, putting ON the doors alone is a totally different story. It's super clumsy and although the guide on the bottom hinge helps, I'd rather have two guides, or if only one, then a guide on top. Aligning it and trying to see alone was stressful and tiring. I had to grab my neighbor to help me with the passenger door. The driver door literally gassed me alone.
Secondly, my MIC seems fine so far, although no rain here in LA yet. It may never rain here again. Haha. But seriously, the two top roof halves over the driver and passenger remove easily and I store them in the back of the Bronco with rear seats down. I may delete rear seats completely. TBD for now. I don't use the free roof bag. It's kind of a turkey to use, and it's not that good. I wrap them in a furney pad and even on twisties, they don't flop around back there. Putting them back on is a breeze too. I find it easiest to grab left and right sides of the roof, and set in place, rather then grab in middle and have to jump your hand under the roll bar. You'll see what I mean when you try it. They don't pop or squeak when they are on and I'm driving around. The closures are very crisp and feel tight.
Thirdly, driving around in it with top off and doors off is a blast. I'm used to an open feeling because I ride motorcycles as well. It gets VERY windy. No baseball or trucker hats for you when you go open cockpit. Another thing to address is the passenger floor mats. I got the carpet mats with my Wildtrak trim level. The carpet mats will flop around with doors off from the wind! I was on the freeway, and just the plastic pin was holding it in. People driving beside me were like what? So I applied a bit of hook sided Velcro to the top back of the mats, and that grabs the floor carpet, and should hold it fine. A little bit is all you need dont go crazy with two feet of 2" Velcro.
So, in conclusion, I'm really happy with it. I recommend everyone try taking off the doors at least once, and that everyone take the roof off as much as they can!! Happy wheeling! Get a door buddy, and fix the mats and you're good to go.

nice write up.... but it didn't age well "...no rain here in LA yet. It may never rain here again." HAHAHA JK

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I agree with all of this..... had mine off all last week, had to reassemble this week for the snow....

- doors come off easy but are much harder to put back on, mostly because they don't open as far as jeep doors do.
- I did crack and lose one of the guides on the back part of the hard top. I had to use a couple of washers to put it back on. AND, the back part of the top is too heavy to lift off for one person so I'll have to make a lift of some kind.
- the "plugs" for the rear power and washer line so they don't just hang there is a great idea
- At first I was wondering why the door grab handles are an open design.....now I know why.
- the provided tool kit seems pretty complete for this operation

One improvement....... @fordmotorcompany please provide a place to put the hardware similar to what jeep does.

Overall, I wish we had longer summers here in the north...cause its fun to go topless....and doorless too.....