Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

VB, regardless of the interval for changing, just make sure you get that original oil changed after break in; better a little sooner than later.

Are any of you going to send that first batch to a lab for analysis? I'd be very interested to see those results.

On fortnine (i think, maybe one of the other guys) they did that with the oil that with multiple bikes and the scores were wide in range from down right bad (Chinese bikes) to best (Honda Yam & etc).
Sponsored

thestep90

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

On fortnine (i think, maybe one of the other guys) they did that with the oil that with multiple bikes and the scores were wide in range from down right bad (Chinese bikes) to best (Honda Yam & etc).
It was fortnine, i also ride so watch all his videos

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

O'Reilly should have had it, they just didn't dig hard enough. At least it wasn't one of my tms, I'd have to have a teaching moment.

Nice. You sound like am old school parts guy. 😁

Sponsored
OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Motorcraft = Ford, so you're good there, and PLEASE don't go after the oil filter cover with visegrips, Crescent wrench, or open-end wrench...you WILL bork it up eventually...socket or box-end wrench only...ask ME how I know :eek:
Believe me...I was not happy about it. But I was camping and had my socket set, but none of my other assorted sockets, including the ones over 1". So I grinned and bore it this time. I will designate a special socket for the filter housing next time.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have around 1600 miles on my Big Bend 2.7. I decided to change the oil ASAP after my 1000-mile breakin. We have been camping, and this is the first chance I've gotten.

This video from another thread is a good reference:

I had trouble getting a filter...you can't just walk in to O'Reilly and ask for a 2021 Bronco filter. I got the part # from Ford and O'Reilly had them, but not OEM. But Wal-Mart had Motorcraft, and had one left. But question for those who know: why does the new one not have the black caps? Is this normal?

20210722_124246.jpg

Anyway...I removed the skid plate-factory BB plastic one-using a 15mm socket to take out 6 bolts. My 15yo handled socket duties.

20210722_121808.jpg
20210722_121824.jpg

Confession: I haven't changed my own oil in years, so I've never used the plastic plugs. It was easy to take off (a quarter turn), and they weren't joking about it coming out quickly.

I also have never seen the top-of-engine filters, so I watched the video to find it. I didn't have a set of large sockets with me camping, so I had to use Vise-grips to get the housing off. No trouble.

20210722_124243.jpg

20210722_183722-jpg.jpg

20210722_183634-jpg.jpg

20210722_183934-jpg.jpg

I didn't install the new filter because of my questions about the caps, but I changed the rings. As in the video, I cut the small one with a razor knife to get it off. Getting the new one on there required some patience to be sure.

All that was left to do was reinsert the plug, rebolt the skid plate, and pour in 7 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic. Checked for leaks and all is good.

A follow-up question: does the Bronco not have an oil pressure readout?
if the new filter element is the same dimensionally it is fine.. different manufacturers use different colored parts, it is the size and filtering efficiency (as in the size of particles removed from the oil). also the use of a crescent wrench on the filter cup might be a better choice, you are less likely to chew it up. 1600 miles is a little on the quick side for changing oil. some manufacturers have additives to aid in bedding in the engines.

i have not read the owner's manual, but make sure to use the proper oil grade and you should be fine.. keep the filter for your next oil change the o-rings should be fine if you are careful and don't tear them...

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Heard the filter on the 2.3 is an absolute bitch to get to. Part of the reason I also went with the 2.7.

Longshot

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have around 1600 miles on my Big Bend 2.7. I decided to change the oil ASAP after my 1000-mile breakin. We have been camping, and this is the first chance I've gotten.

This video from another thread is a good reference:

I had trouble getting a filter...you can't just walk in to O'Reilly and ask for a 2021 Bronco filter. I got the part # from Ford and O'Reilly had them, but not OEM. But Wal-Mart had Motorcraft, and had one left. But question for those who know: why does the new one not have the black caps? Is this normal?

20210722_124246.jpg

Anyway...I removed the skid plate-factory BB plastic one-using a 15mm socket to take out 6 bolts. My 15yo handled socket duties.

20210722_121808.jpg
20210722_121824.jpg

Confession: I haven't changed my own oil in years, so I've never used the plastic plugs. It was easy to take off (a quarter turn), and they weren't joking about it coming out quickly.

I also have never seen the top-of-engine filters, so I watched the video to find it. I didn't have a set of large sockets with me camping, so I had to use Vise-grips to get the housing off. No trouble.

20210722_124243.jpg

20210722_183722-jpg.jpg

20210722_183634-jpg.jpg

20210722_183934-jpg.jpg

I didn't install the new filter because of my questions about the caps, but I changed the rings. As in the video, I cut the small one with a razor knife to get it off. Getting the new one on there required some patience to be sure.

All that was left to do was reinsert the plug, rebolt the skid plate, and pour in 7 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic. Checked for leaks and all is good.

A follow-up question: does the Bronco not have an oil pressure readout?
A couple of things I could recommend too... Like has been mentioned, you can use a pick or even a small flat screwdriver to remove the old O-rings. When replacing the new ones, put a little oil on the them to help keep them lubricated. You can get the correct socket for the filter enclosure or also use a strap wrench to remove it. (
Ford Bronco A First Oil Change Experience on 2021 Bronco – Using OEM Oil Filter 1627012086703
) Definitely be cautious with any kind of Vise grip or channel locks. They will gall the crap out of the housing. Hope that helps a little.

Sponsored

SpringTXOR

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Nice. You sound like am old school parts guy. 😁
I try to hire only people I can teach to look under every rock too for my counter. They may have taken away my stools and ash trays, but I still got my books!

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I try to hire only people I can teach to look under every rock too for my counter. They may have taken away my stools and ash trays, but I still got my books!

:D:D They even took my books away, buddy. (y)(y)

Schmack B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

getting the small o ring off is not a problem, it is trying to put the new small o ring back on that is a pain in the ass. The big one is very easy and requires no tools at all, just squeeze it and pull it up and off. At work I only ever change the upper small o ring if it is flat or in bad shape. I change lots of oil at work on the 2.7l(mainly on f150s), that small o ring is the hardest o ring of all cars to change. Hell some Mercedes have like three small o rings that are easier than the one on the 2.7 filter housing

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Believe me...I was not happy about it. But I was camping and had my socket set, but none of my other assorted sockets, including the ones over 1". So I grinned and bore it this time. I will designate a special socket for the filter housing next time.
You're kidding right? You took shit to change your oil on a camping trip because you were that concerned about changing the oil at 1000 miles? 🤣🤣🤣

That's funny!
Sponsored