First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You should’ve at least let the engine break in first. You just wasted oil and a filter.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
At least those of us who have not heard anything can read up on things like oil changes, etc. and know what to expect. Thanks for sharing.

7 quarts- that's a lot of oil for a "small" 2.7. I thought 5.5 quarts was a lot in my 2011 MazdaSpeed 3 with a 2.5 turbo. Given the huge amount of oil I'd wait a little longer for 1st oil change- probably 2.5K but this is my opinion and opinions on oil change intervals is very highly debated.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I try to hire only people I can teach to look under every rock too for my counter. They may have taken away my stools and ash trays, but I still got my books!
Man, the stools and ashtrays comment brought back an instant flood of old school parts stores memories!! Thanks for that. :) I miss the old days with the big greasy thumb printed books, the new guy looking everywhere, the old guy correcting the part # that the manuals haven't caught up to yet, but he knows that "a '68 Ford SB timing chain cover and '70 Ford SB timing chain cover is that the dipstick boss is 1/4".........."

Sponsored

SpringTXOR

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Man, the stools and ashtrays comment brought back an instant flood of old school parts stores memories!! Thanks for that. :) I miss the old days with the big greasy thumb printed books, the new guy looking everywhere, the old guy correcting the part # that the manuals haven't caught up to yet, but he knows that "a '68 Ford SB timing chain cover and '70 Ford SB timing chain cover is that the dipstick boss is 1/4".........."
My store is a very old building and an old community, so it still has that feel a lot of the time.

OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You're kidding right? You took s*** to change your oil on a camping trip because you were that concerned about changing the oil at 1000 miles? 🤣🤣🤣

That's funny!
Thanks for the input ;) Here's the deal:

1. I always bring tools when I camp.

2. Lots of downtime and an O'Reilly 5 minutes away.

3. Some had said it might be good to do, and since my kids are already fighting over the Bronco when I die, I figure I need to take care of it.

4. I wanted to teach my oldest how to change oil.

5. I wanted to get to know the Bronco.

Sounds like $50 well spent, no?

SpringTXOR

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

3. Some had said it might be good to do, and since my kids are already fighting over the Bronco when I die, I figure I need to take care of it.

Thank you for supporting O'Reilly!

Big ragu

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Aric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You had me at "teach my oldest to change oil"👍

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

555-RGNE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Basequatch 2dr 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Automakers will specify a visual difference in factory installed filters vs replacement filters.

Be careful tightening abs lessening the filter housing. They will crack and then it’s a trip to the dealer with your fingers crossed they have one in stock. Ask me how I know………
The Jeep 3.6L uses those same style plastic filter housings. We always kept a spare cap on hand because it's not a matter of "if," but "when" they're break on you. The last thing you wanted was to be stranded with no way to drive to the dealership and get another - and bend over if the dealership doesn't have any in stock or it's a Saturday afternoon and they're closed for the weekend.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

A couple of things I could recommend too... Like has been mentioned, you can use a pick or even a small flat screwdriver to remove the old O-rings. When replacing the new ones, put a little oil on the them to help keep them lubricated. You can get the correct socket for the filter enclosure or also use a strap wrench to remove it. (
Ford Bronco A First Oil Change Experience on 2021 Bronco – Using OEM Oil Filter 1627039963962
) Definitely be cautious with any kind of Vise grip or channel locks. They will gall the crap out of the housing. Hope that helps a little.
a crescent wrench or a socket work even better than a strap wrench. the strap wrench is great for the steel smooth spin on filters, but much more difficult to uses than a medium sized crescent wrench. when reinstalling the filter housing i recommend hand tight plus a quarter turn..

Rubicon 2 Badlands

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon / 2021 Bronco: Badlands/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As difficult as it is to take off the small o-ring and put a new one on; makes you wonder if you're local Jiffy Lube even bothers changing it.
I REALLY avoid those places. I'm sure some are ok, but in general it's not the best way to treat your vehicle. Do it yourself, find a good/trustworthy mechanic and stick with them, or take it to the dealer.
Sponsored