Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I guess I've been fortunate with the last few of my cars, because they've all been designed around the fact that you have to do an oil change. Whether the oil filter was on top of the engine with kind of a catch container around it, or the oil filter and drain plug was easily accessible through an access door from underneath, they've all been pretty easy.

Actually the hardest one I've had in the last few decades was my Jeep XJ. I had to actually unplug the distributors electrical plug in order to get the oil filter out.

It's funny how some manufacturers design typical things so much easier to get to, or so much harder.
Sponsored

Jpursuit

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 f250 king ranch 4wd, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

20210722_183722.jpg
@Administrator Could you change the title? I DID in fact use an OEM filter. It seems they do not *always* have the black caps on them.
20210722_183634.jpg
20210722_183934.jpg
Just did my first oil change at 980 miles. Had the new 2062A filter. The oIl didn't shoot out as far as I expected from reading other posts. I put a 2x4 under oil change pan by the passenger front tire to raise it up just in case. The little O ring changed easily with a spoon tool. I gave the truck 40 minutes to drain and 6 quarts came out. I put 6 quarts back in started it and let it run 5 minutes, then checked oil level after 20 minutes and it was at the top of the cross hatch so I guess it really is 6 quarts plus whatever stays on the chains bearings and nooks and crannies. The only issue I had was with tightening the filter housing. My 27mm socket is a 12 point and I couldn't quite get to 18 ft lbs. It is snug to the housing and seems okay. I have ordered a 6 point socket for next time.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The 2.7L was one of the first Ford engines to go back to an oil pressure transducer from the "dummy gauge" switch they started using back in the late 80s. Since my Bronco is stuck in 6/28 build week purgatory I don't know if you can get an oil pressure readout from the IPC but you should be able to read the pressure from a scan tool like Forscan.
Apparently Ford realized that several good things had been laid to rest in the past.
oil pressure dummy lights.
Top mounted oil filters.
…anyone remember the oil bath air filters? Those were legit!
Maybe they can bring back the electrical failure idiot lights too! #vw

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Does anyone remember the old toilet paper filters the name started with an "F" (I can't remember the exact pronunciation and spelling). They turned out to be not that great, I think because people used the wrong TP in them and left the filters in too long, and it contaminated the oil. My dad had one on an '76 AMC Hornet and he used the industrial single ply TP. He changed the TP every month and even with towing a trailer every month with the little AMC, he had no problems with over 140,000 miles on the car, when he traded in on a truck to tow a bigger trailer.

Of course changing it monthly kept the TP from breaking down very much and I'm sure between people using the wrong TP and leaving it in too long is why the product failed, but it was the first (back then) example of a cartridge type that I had every saw; before seeing real ones on the European cars. I always thought the design of the filter with the remote can on top of the engine and the TP roll being similar to a cartridge was so much better than a screw on at the bottom.

Every month he changed the TP roll he had to add a quart of oil and he changed it completely on the third month, so I'm sure all of that excessive obsession with keeping his oil changed kept that AMC going so long the engine was really in great shape when he sold. He was a rep for the product and they mic'd his engine just before the 140,000 miles and it was exceptional in the lack of wear.

So, I'm very happy that the Bronco has a canister filter that I can easily change.

Knownman

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At least those of us who have not heard anything can read up on things like oil changes, etc. and know what to expect. Thanks for sharing.

7 quarts- that's a lot of oil for a "small" 2.7. I thought 5.5 quarts was a lot in my 2011 MazdaSpeed 3 with a 2.5 turbo. Given the huge amount of oil I'd wait a little longer for 1st oil change- probably 2.5K but this is my opinion and opinions on oil change intervals is very highly debated.
Welcome to the world of twin turbos!

Sponsored

jtim47Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
my 28th new Ford replacing my 2015 F-150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As difficult as it is to take off the small o-ring and put a new one on; makes you wonder if you're local Jiffy Lube even bothers changing it.
Speaking of Jiffy Lube.
Was leaving town. Was in a hurry. needed an oil change on my wife's 2020 (14,600 miles)Ford Escape. So took my first trip to Jiffy Lube. oil change and filter were $110.00. 3 months later and 3000 miles had major oil leak in driveway. Ford towed to service center. Another long story short, while my first oil change a Jiffy Lube cost me $110. the repair bill for Jiffy lube not tightening the oil filter correctly cost me $907.65. in repairs From Ford.
I will never return to a fast change oil the likes of Jiffy lube I will, for sure will change my own oil or take to a Ford service center.

jtim47Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
my 28th new Ford replacing my 2015 F-150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone remember the old toilet paper filters the name started with an "F" (I can't remember the exact pronunciation and spelling). They turned out to be not that great, I think because people used the wrong TP in them and left the filters in too long, and it contaminated the oil. My dad had one on an '76 AMC Hornet and he used the industrial single ply TP. He changed the TP every month and even with towing a trailer every month with the little AMC, he had no problems with over 140,000 miles on the car, when he traded in on a truck to tow a bigger trailer.

Of course changing it monthly kept the TP from breaking down very much and I'm sure between people using the wrong TP and leaving it in too long is why the product failed, but it was the first (back then) example of a cartridge type that I had every saw; before seeing real ones on the European cars. I always thought the design of the filter with the remote can on top of the engine and the TP roll being similar to a cartridge was so much better than a screw on at the bottom.

Every month he changed the TP roll he had to add a quart of oil and he changed it completely on the third month, so I'm sure all of that excessive obsession with keeping his oil changed kept that AMC going so long the engine was really in great shape when he sold. He was a rep for the product and they mic'd his engine just before the 140,000 miles and it was exceptional in the lack of wear.

So, I'm very happy that the Bronco has a canister filter that I can easily change.
FRANZ was the company that offered their add on part in answer to expensive oil filters' back in the day. LOL. last time i saw one used was in 1976.

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have around 1600 miles on my Big Bend 2.7. I decided to change the oil ASAP after my 1000-mile breakin. We have been camping, and this is the first chance I've gotten.

This video from another thread is a good reference:

I had trouble getting a filter...you can't just walk in to O'Reilly and ask for a 2021 Bronco filter. I got the part # from Ford and O'Reilly had them, but not OEM. But Wal-Mart had Motorcraft, and had one left. But question for those who know: why does the new one not have the black caps? Is this normal?

20210722_124246.jpg

Anyway...I removed the skid plate-factory BB plastic one-using a 15mm socket to take out 6 bolts. My 15yo handled socket duties.

20210722_121808.jpg
20210722_121824.jpg

Confession: I haven't changed my own oil in years, so I've never used the plastic plugs. It was easy to take off (a quarter turn), and they weren't joking about it coming out quickly.

I also have never seen the top-of-engine filters, so I watched the video to find it. I didn't have a set of large sockets with me camping, so I had to use Vise-grips to get the housing off. No trouble.

20210722_124243.jpg

20210722_183722-jpg.jpg

20210722_183634-jpg.jpg

20210722_183934-jpg.jpg

I didn't install the new filter because of my questions about the caps, but I changed the rings. As in the video, I cut the small one with a razor knife to get it off. Getting the new one on there required some patience to be sure.

All that was left to do was reinsert the plug, rebolt the skid plate, and pour in 7 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic. Checked for leaks and all is good.

A follow-up question: does the Bronco not have an oil pressure readout?
I ordered three from Ruxer Ford online. They are different from the original that came in mine but they are the factory part#. I'm already on to my second one and no issues. 7 qts puts me above full line. 6 1/2 is at the full line.
Sponsored