First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X7, Porsche GT4, Volvo Cross Country
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I had just changed all the brass door knobs to black levers on 18 doors of our house and as I stood back and admired my work my wife informs me she thinks the black door levers don’t go with the brass hinges that are on all the doors.
I guess you all know what came next. Aaah the joy of home ownership!
Sponsored

JonD

Wildtrak
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburu Outback
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It's all good, don't be a stranger

maxmxa

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey guys.

I’ve been doing some true soul searching these past few weeks, and I have come to the conclusion that a Bronco is not in my immediate future at this point in my life. Ford has absolutely knocked it out of the park, and I wish I could make it work, but mostly from a financial perspective I just can’t make the Bronco fit. I could absolutely make the payment... but that doesn’t mean I can afford it if that makes sense. And I definitely can’t afford to beat the crap out of it like I want to. And if I did a lesser build I know I’d kick myself down the road. So my plan at this point is to keep the Jeep and put a bit of money in it and see how things go these next few years, and hopefully save up a bit more to make the payment a little less of something to max out my budget. Thank you all for all the laughs and good times, and I know I’m going to be jealous as shit when I start seeing these bad boys rolling down the street. Y’all will definitely get a wave from me, hopefully I’ll get a wave back but I wouldn’t blame ya if ya didn’t.

I’ll still lurk around a bit so don’t expect to get rid of me completely. I’ll still have some snarky memes or minimized sarcasm aplenty so don’t get too comfortable!

Also a P.S. I’m a day 1 reservation so most of y’all just moved up in line!
I have a feeling you will be just one of many who will come to this reality when the time comes to finalize the order and sign the paperwork. I'm also contemplating the same myself even though I could make it work. The more I play around with the calculator on the B&P website the more I start to wonder. I mean, if one has the disposable income or some inheritance stashed away $60K or so with tax/lic. is a lot of money to spend on a toy. Even if you put a big chunk down and finance it for 4 years. Plus, with Bronco being new and so anticipated, the dealers won't be giving much discount (at least most in the west coast won't be). So, another hit for having to pay sticker price on something over $50K.

It's one thing to want one and put $100 deposit on one, but it's different when you have to figure out priorities and spend the big chunk of cash or have huge payments for 4 years or more on something that you can't even option out exactly the way you want it. I can't get the options I want and the way I want it built, plus the concerns with the engine and transmission issues just make it easier to look away for now. It's still a tough decision, but many others will come to that point soon (including me).

:unsure::rolleyes:
Best of luck.

xusarmy

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

In the infamous words of George

Ford Bronco A goodbye for now my friends oq1dwncvfsl11

dangerzone79

Black Diamond
First Name
O- -O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond & 1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nick, always enjoyed your posts, knowledge, passion, & private messages. Take care man! Someday... somewhere... maybe we'll ride. Off-roaders and truck enthusiasts are family no matter what you drive. Be well, save those dolla-dolla bills!

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had just changed all the brass door knobs to black levers on 18 doors of our house and as I stood back and admired my work my wife informs me she thinks the black door levers don’t go with the brass hinges that are on all the doors.
I guess you all know what came next. Aaah the joy of home ownership!
You should have known that was next. It is one of those tasks that I'm putting off. Not a huge expense or difficult, but it isn't just on the top of my list. I made the mistake a decade ago after painting a room, I replaced the switch plates and outlet covers. Of course, the "new" covers didn't match the others in other rooms. :rolleyes:

sscott87

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Seemingly plenty of us on the same fence, and absolutely not helping Ford’s casein the delays giving more time to contemplate the purchase. I, too, can absolutely afford exactly what I want on this and actually should see a promotion with significant pay increase before ever getting a Bronco. But... I’ve always had a loose $30k “rule” for vehicle purchases. I’ll destroy that personal limit with this Bronco, with my builds going $45k-$50k. My trade (‘17 Frontier) is only losing value by the day with all the miles I put on it. I’ll be without question, at least $30k. Not the end of the world but still a $45k+ expense in a vehicle I don’t need.

I’ve not gained financial security by making wild choices, and I do have other toys already.

BUT if I keep the current truck, nothing wrong with it, and drive it 2-3 years more... trade value will really be tanked. How much cheaper will I be able to snag a Bronco? And more so, will it fit our lifestyle at that point??

My thoughts on it. Tough choices. And Ford keeps giving me more time to sway myself toward NOT. ?

mestuntman

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
OICU812
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bicycle
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I will be waiting with baited breath for my e-mail from FORD telling me I just moved up one spot in line

Ford Bronco A goodbye for now my friends vehicle2

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I have a feeling you will be just one of many who will come to this reality when the time comes to finalize the order and sign the paperwork. I'm also contemplating the same myself even though I could make it work. The more I play around with the calculator on the B&P website the more I start to wonder. I mean, if one has the disposable income or some inheritance stashed away $60K or so with tax/lic. is a lot of money to spend on a toy. Even if you put a big chunk down and finance it for 4 years. Plus, with Bronco being new and so anticipated, the dealers won't be giving much discount (at least most in the west coast won't be). So, another hit for having to pay sticker price on something over $50K.

It's one thing to want one and put $100 deposit on one, but it's different when you have to figure out priorities and spend the big chunk of cash or have huge payments for 4 years or more on something that you can't even option out exactly the way you want it. I can't get the options I want and the way I want it built, plus the concerns with the engine and transmission issues just make it easier to look away for now. It's still a tough decision, but many others will come to that point soon (including me).

Best of luck.
Well said @maxmxa, smart decisions early can affect your entire life. In this first example, one person started saving $500 per month at age 25, by retirement they have $1.521M with an average stock market return of 7%.

The second person waited until age 35 to start saving for retirement with the same inflation reduced $500 per month. Due to this later start at serious, responsible, savings, the second person will only have half as much as the smart 25 year old, $714K, with an average stock market return of 7% that is $807K less.

The future quality of life for your family, your children and your retirement are based on the choices you make early in life. Save vs Toys, the choice is yours, if you able to afford both, outstanding.

https://www.daveramsey.com/smartvestor/investment-calculator Ford Bronco A goodbye for now my friends vehicle2

Ford Bronco A goodbye for now my friends vehicle2

92EddieBauer

Black Diamond
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas & Titan XD Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I got drug through the mud for leaving as a day 2 reservation holder. Best of luck!

Sponsored

AD-CLE

First Edition
First Name
AD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Hey guys.

I’ve been doing some true soul searching these past few weeks, and I have come to the conclusion that a Bronco is not in my immediate future at this point in my life. Ford has absolutely knocked it out of the park, and I wish I could make it work, but mostly from a financial perspective I just can’t make the Bronco fit. I could absolutely make the payment... but that doesn’t mean I can afford it if that makes sense. And I definitely can’t afford to beat the crap out of it like I want to. And if I did a lesser build I know I’d kick myself down the road. So my plan at this point is to keep the Jeep and put a bit of money in it and see how things go these next few years, and hopefully save up a bit more to make the payment a little less of something to max out my budget. Thank you all for all the laughs and good times, and I know I’m going to be jealous as shit when I start seeing these bad boys rolling down the street. Y’all will definitely get a wave from me, hopefully I’ll get a wave back but I wouldn’t blame ya if ya didn’t.

I’ll still lurk around a bit so don’t expect to get rid of me completely. I’ll still have some snarky memes or minimized sarcasm aplenty so don’t get too comfortable!

Also a P.S. I’m a day 1 reservation so most of y’all just moved up in line!
smart long term move

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did not realize we lost sarge as well...explains why I have not seen many posts from him.

OP
OP
Nickp

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base

Best of luck.
Spot on. I started to realize when the small price increase happened I might be in over my head. My basesquatch was only $5k less than a wildtrak 4 door that would be way better equipped. So I started thinking why not just get the wildtrak? Until I really thought about it and realized I’m talking about a $52k vehicle plus probably $7k worth of tags etc... and realizing my $45k Bronco base build is probably going to end up more. This is just me personally but I don’t think dealerships are going to let these things go without some markup. Time will tell when the order banks open but I just don’t see them doing it.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for all your posts out here. Very informative. There'll be a Bronco with your name on it down the road!

Appalachia_Ewok

Base
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 PT Cruiser, '62 DeVille, '96 XJ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

@Nickp

Thanks for the post, it really mirrors my mental struggle over the past month. I was recently gifted/inherited a very clean 1996 Cherokee XJ Country and am at a similar impasse.

Do I buy a new Bronco or do I put money into the XJ? What does the Bronco I could afford offer that the XJ doesn't?

Removeable roof/doors, better gas millage, higher top speed, better safety. These are the only things that I could not (realistically) add to the XJ that I care about. Is that worth $40,000 to me? I'm not so sure.

It already has power everything, bluetooth and upgraded sound is no issue, lockers, while pricey, could be added. The suspension is tired and it needs a new headliner. It has a well maintained engine under 160k miles. I figure I can do everything I need to do to this thing to bring it up to like new for less than $5,000. It's been in the family since it was new, I'm never selling it, so I'm not worried about sunk money. Plus I know XJ's are reliable and parts are readily available so I don't have to worry about recalls, untested transmissions, and all the other teething problems that come with a first year vehicle.

I haven't cancelled my reservation yet, but my student loans have just finished and I'm debt free for the first time in my life, I think I'll probably keep it that way until I can buy a house. Guess I'll need to have a conversation with the wife.
Sponsored